Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

QANTAS style dress code - as an alternative to banning guesting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-10154503.html

Would do something to restrict the numbers I suppose. I just don't see BA having the nerve to try it.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:09 am

I had to lol at some of the Australian social media comments referring to "thongs", which of course, are flipflops to us! It didn't paint a very pleasant image, given the typical demographic of airport lounges.

Well, I'm not the frequent flier I once was - my flying habits have changed and BA no longer meets them (that said, I'll be flying CE to Milan next week), so I no longer have status to use the lounges when in economy.

However, when I do fly BA, I generally travel in CE/CW, and I would expect to have the lounges I've paid for. I usually wear shorts or trackie bottoms. In day to day life, it's very rare to find me in a suit - the smartest I'll wear is chinos. But I feel comfortable in trackies or shorts. It does seem to offend some people, but then, until recently (I'm now 31), my age seemed to offend some people, for daring to be under 30 and using priority boarding / lounges.

What's the obsession with what people wear? I'm *far* more concerned about how people behave.

... and I've lost count of the number of suited t*ssers I've encountered in lounges who seem determined to remind everyone else how important they are by taking business on speakerphone. That (and feat on furniture!) will always offend me more than clothing, any day.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: BA blue, very lapsed Delta
Originally Posted by fife
... and I've lost count of the number of suited t*ssers I've encountered in lounges who seem determined to remind everyone else how important they are by taking business on speakerphone. That (and feat on furniture!) will always offend me more than clothing, any dafy.
I once sat in an armchair SkyTeam lounge and some suit decided to keep plugging/unplugging his BB using the socket next to my armchair, so that at every time I'd get a closeup view of his crotch . As he got drunker, the crotch got closer until I considered kicking up a fuss, but eventually he left.

The people in shorts have never done anything like that.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:22 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by MysoreBound
I once sat in an armchair SkyTeam lounge and some suit decided to keep plugging/unplugging his BB using the socket next to my armchair, so that at every time I'd get a closeup view of his crotch . As he got drunker, the crotch got closer until I considered kicking up a fuss, but eventually he left.

The people in shorts have never done anything like that.
You should have called for penal reform.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
However, when I do fly BA, I generally travel in CE/CW, and I would expect to have the lounges I've paid for. I usually wear shorts or trackie bottoms. In day to day life, it's very rare to find me in a suit - the smartest I'll wear is chinos. But I feel comfortable in trackies or shorts. It does seem to offend some people, but then, until recently (I'm now 31), my age seemed to offend some people, for daring to be under 30 and using priority boarding / lounges.

What's the obsession with what people wear? I'm *far* more concerned about how people behave.
We would need to see what you look like in them. I see lots of people waiting for the bus outside Lidls and Aldi that wear trackies and shorts and some of that is not fit for human consumption and should definitely be banned !

I do agree about some of the suits for sure....
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR , HH Diamond
Totally agree! In the Flagship AA lounge here at JFK and have an extremely obnoxious individual shouting down his phone and swearing constantly. Mr. Self Important Roadie For A Rock Band. He needs ejecting ASAP pronto. Plus he is in shorts!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
We would need to see what you look like in them. I see lots of people waiting for the bus outside Lidls and Aldi that wear trackies and shorts and some of that is not fit for human consumption and should definitely be banned !
That's practically formal attire compared to some of the characters who patronise my local Tesco. The t-shirt and pyjama bottom-clad pair I clocked last week were particularly memorable.

But I agree with all those who feel that behaviour is far more important than appearance.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
The dress code in lounges and premium cabins should be the same as a Michelin star restaurant. Smart casual minimum. Behavior standards should be the same. If you need to talk at more than a hush on your phone, find an isolated place to do so.

As dress standards slip, and behavior standards slip, so do service standards.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: BA blue, very lapsed Delta
Originally Posted by jmc1K
The dress code in lounges and premium cabins should be the same as a Michelin star restaurant. Smart casual minimum.
I can't say I agree. I love me some leggings and jeans for flying, and pyjamas for long haul! (I change after takeoff, though ). But I'm a geek, so what do you expect. I've also been guilty of sweatshirts!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by jmc1K
The dress code in lounges and premium cabins should be the same as a Michelin star restaurant. Smart casual minimum. Behavior standards should be the same. If you need to talk at more than a hush on your phone, find an isolated place to do so.

As dress standards slip, and behavior standards slip, so do service standards.
Wow
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I was once banned from a caravan park canteen in Canberra for wearing a T shirt, short and "thongs!"....... before you ask, the clothing was covering far more than most beach wear does today!!.It was the thongs that were the issue. ............I have been thrown out of better places since mind you!

I do feel that at times Australia is more snobbish than the UK but it may simply be that here at home, I know my place!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
And funnily enough I dragged my extremely stylish Adidas track bottoms out of the loft to be washed ready for a trip LHR-CHC and to which my wife said "you are not wearing them on the plane are you?". I might cut her allowance.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I was in no.1 traveller the other day and I noticed they say no: "tracksuits, onesies, any clothing with rips or tears, sports colours, camouflage clothing, items which expose midriffs for women or shoulders for men, and themed or fancy dress clothing"

Ain't no party like an S club party.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
To thin out the numbers of people in the lounges, I propose banning chinos.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Wear whatever you're comfortable in, tolerate others doing the same, but please no lapses in personal hygiene and no shouting into your phone. I think that covers everything.

Considering the ludicrous situations that schools get themselves into with dress codes for juveniles, I'd love to see the style police in action with adults in a Qantas lounge. Good April Fool stunt though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.