Advice regarding booking ahead post 28th April

Old Apr 3, 15, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Just after some clarification here please....!

I have enough avios to book 2 F seats, but we have too many trips planned for the year ahead, and would be looking to book these for next summer (Summer 2016).

With the changes at the end of the month there will be a stark increase in number of avios required for this trip...so clearly keen to book pre changes!

Now, regarding the 12 months that you are able to change the date on redemption tickets, can anyone please advise whether I am able to do the following:

Book 2 F redemption sets now, for travel in April 2016.
Then when availability is released for July 2016 (i.e. in July this year), call up BA and move these tickets forward to July 2016 (availability dependant of course)...

Or, is that not allowed?

Essentially what I am asking is is a ticket moveable by 12 months from the date of booking, or for 12 months from the date of intended travel (in which case if I book a redemption flight now for April 2016 I could potentially move this anytime up to April 2017) ?

Thanks in advance for advice!
Old Apr 3, 15, 12:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Gold, GE
Bump. Same question for me
Old Apr 3, 15, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I posted this question earlier today and Filthy Monkey helpfully provided his understanding of the answer.

You'll find it on Page 2 of the forum.
Old Apr 3, 15, 1:33 pm

Tickets are valid for one year.

If you purchase a ticket on the 27 April 2015 then the latest the outbound date could be switched to travel on would be 26 April 2016.

*******Note 27 April 2015 in this example is the purchased date not the date you book for travel*********

This cant be extended.

The inbound can go further ahead but needs to be within one year of the outbound.

****** all opinions are my own and do not represent ba or iag*****
Old Apr 3, 15, 3:24 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
You can do it by booking JER-LON-XYZ-LON whenever before the changes, then changing JER-LON to Aug 2015 (and flying it), and changing LON-XYZ-LON at the same time to July 2016.
Old Apr 4, 15, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
You can do it by booking JER-LON-XYZ-LON whenever before the changes, then changing JER-LON to Aug 2015 (and flying it), and changing LON-XYZ-LON at the same time to July 2016.
interesting, never thought of this one...!

Presumably I wouldn't be able to do this using a BA AMEX 2-4-1 though..... or would I?

Thanks
Old Apr 4, 15, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Why do you think you couldn't do it with a 2-4-1? exJER is fine for a 2-4-1.
Old Apr 4, 15, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze, HHonors Gold, VS Red.
Originally Posted by drmish1 View Post
interesting, never thought of this one...!

Presumably I wouldn't be able to do this using a BA AMEX 2-4-1 though..... or would I?

Thanks
Absolutely fine to do it with the Amex.
Old Apr 6, 15, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Why do you think you couldn't do it with a 2-4-1? exJER is fine for a 2-4-1.
Originally Posted by BLHD View Post
Absolutely fine to do it with the Amex.
Thanks both of you.... Please also advise - can JER be substituted for any domestic starting point..... Eg NCL-LON-XYZ-LON-NCL ?

Book the trip for Aug '15, take the NCL-LON, and then push the other flights back to June '16 ?

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 6, 15, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Yes, you can start from a UK airport served by by BA an also from JER. So if you replace NCL in your example with JER that would be fine. Also by starting from JER you avoid paying APD (£138 per person).
Old Apr 6, 15, 12:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Gold, GE
But the T&Cs state that
15.16. All Reward travel must be completed within 12 months of the date of ticket issue.

So if I buy a ticket now (then the ticket is 'issued' right away right) for Jan 16 outbound and Mar 16 inbound, I can't extend the return journey to let's say Jun 16...?
Old Apr 6, 15, 1:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Yes, you can start from a UK airport served by by BA an also from JER. So if you replace NCL in your example with JER that would be fine. Also by starting from JER you avoid paying APD (138 per person).
You don't really save much by starting in JER as you're not connecting (<24h) through the UK, you're stopping for the best part of a year.

Originally Posted by G-CIVC View Post
But the T&Cs state that
15.16. All Reward travel must be completed within 12 months of the date of ticket issue.

So if I buy a ticket now (then the ticket is 'issued' right away right) for Jan 16 outbound and Mar 16 inbound, I can't extend the return journey to let's say Jun 16...?
I overlooked this... I assume it's a 2-4-1 specific thing?
Old Apr 6, 15, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC View Post
But the T&Cs state that

That's what I had thought - that it was a 12 month limit from the date of original booking...........?

Search this Thread