Wiki Posts
Search

SFO First question -

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:03 am
Original Poster

SFO First question -

Hi All,

Thanks almost entirely to this forum (and lots of empty and full ink cartridges and top cash back!) I am off on a 2 4 1 First to SFO in a few weeks. When we booked it it was in the 744 but quite quickly that changed to A380!

It's my wife's birthday and our 10th anniversary so i wanted to get things right.. Firstly, we take off around 2pm. is it silly to get there at like 1030 and enjoy the CCR and have a massive breakfast and explore etc? earlier? later? We have treatments and a cabana booked.

Will the on board menu include the tasting menu (not sure if that's standard for a380?) and if so do we have to have that early on in the flight?

any other tips appreciated and thanks again for all the help!

RW
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Sounds to me like you're already pretty clued up and organised
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by bigRW
Hi All,

Will the on board menu include the tasting menu (not sure if that's standard for a380?) and if so do we have to have that early on in the flight?
It should, and part of the F experience is that you can dine whenever you like.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Have a look at the sticky about "maximising your First experience"...

10.30am arrival is OK if that's what you want to do. Use the F check in area, have a meal - probably a late breakfast or early lunch, enjoy the spa (not sure there is any need for a Cabana though???) Enjoy the champagne, relax before the flight... maybe a trip to the shops is called for?

Pace yourself too - you still have a 9-10 hour flight ahead of you....

Hope you have a great time - and Happy Anniversary!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Kris-flyer, Etihad Guest
Did something similar in Jan this year.....and did about the same, apart from I opted to eat an early lunch @12 with a nice glass of wine...with a massage before....When I have traveled F on an A380 - the tasting menu was offered.

I am sure you will have that (or Al a carte) + afternoon tea....in any any order and when ever you wish.

I'm sure you'll have a fab time.....enjoy, and whilst I, like I'm sure you will of, have read all sorts about travelling in F - I am lucky I have not had a bad experience...but maybe my expectations are tempered.
A bit like the CCR...not always had the most attentive service....but is it difficult getting up and ordering at the bar?..
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Blue
I assume you're coming back from SFO too? The F lounge there is pretty small but a lovely little place to relax. If you're on the later flight back you might find the lounge pretty rammed if you arrive before the earlier flight has started boarding. On our trip it was almost empty afterwards and we had an enjoyable couple of hours although I spent a little too much time getting to know a fellow guest whilst we subconsciously depleted far too much of the champagne supply!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:28 pm

Hello. Yes there is definitely a tasting menu on the a380 to SFO. Have a great time!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:06 am

The CCR is not particularly special and I'd not want to spend more time there than I had to. Exploration won't take very long. I'd save your energy for the long flight which ,hopefully, will be a great experience.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by bigRW
and a cabana booked
Why? Cabanas are a godsend when arriving on an overnight flight with a connection. I would encourage you to cancel it; it is a windowless room with a shower and day bed that you won't want to use, while taking up a facility someone else might be very glad of.

Last edited by Mixbury; Apr 3, 2015 at 9:25 am
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:05 pm

I rather like the CCR and T5 in general, but then I don't get to go there very often and I'm just happy with a glass of Champagne in my hand, sitting watching the planes and people. Last summer I arrived at approx 10am for a 4pm flight, and had an enjoyable day starting with brunch, chilling out on the terrace, wandering around the terminal and shops, surfing the other lounges, a treatment at the Elemis spa, then a late lunch before catching my flight. I understand that others who are regulars at T5 may want to minimise their time there, but I would have just been at home relaxing anyway so it was an interesting change for me. The LPGS is very nice too, but as someone said, you need to pace yourself.

Personally, unless you need to sleep or a shower I don't see why you'd want a Cabana. From the pictures I've seen it has the same ambiance as my en-suite, and I don't tend to hang out there much.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:23 pm

I should have added that as I was travelling HBO, I had a max-cabin sized roll-aboard and a small satchel. It was really handy to be able to leave my roll-aboard and coat at the CCR baggage check for the day. I kept my few valuables and passport etc with me in the satchel.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
SFO lounge

On the way back it is quite nice boarding straight from a door in the lounge too. I don't think I've ever explored the terminal in SFO as I'm usually running quite late.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
deleted
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback guys. Am coming back Club from Vegas.

BA have confirmed there is a tasting menu - looks interesting!

One thing to note, I only booked a cabana because YouFirst suggested it....
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
Originally Posted by Fly Baby

Pace yourself too - you still have a 9-10 hour flight ahead of you....
Yes, I would second this. I may be a terrible old lush, but the last time we got a completely unexpected OpUp to First when heading off on vacation, we went a bit mental in the CCR and I ended up sleeping it off the entire 8 hours on the plane.

Clearly, a comfortable sleep, but nonetheless, it very easy to over do it!

The CCR is nice, but i have always been a bit underwhelmed by it to be honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.