Wiki Posts
Search

BA to expand SFO lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by RB211
Sitting here in the First room at SFO and I'm wondering what is happening with the new lounge. Anyone know?

rb211.
Originally Posted by Gshumway
It was recently posted that the SFO lounge expansion has been canceled due to being too pricey.
And here is the thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...cancelled.html
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I was in the SFO BA lounge a couple weeks ago, and I asked at the desk whether the refurbishment was to begin soon. They replied that it's scheduled at the end of the year. (I resisted the temptation to ask "which year"!)

The lounge is so overcrowded, I don't even like to go in there anymore. The Cathay lounge is nicer and much more spacious.

Does anyone have more current info? The end of the year approaches!
Thanks
jerub likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by StingWest
Does anyone have more current info? The end of the year approaches!
Thanks
I haven't asked recently for an update. The last I heard the space used is going to be the same, so it will just be a refurb using the same area. Therefore I don't expect the overcrowding to change too much, unfortunately!

rb211.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
I was there a few eeks ago and towards the end of the evening there was a group of managers walking around discussing which artwork should be replaced, so I'm guessing a minor refurbishment is in the works.

For future reference can you access the Cathy lounge on. BA Club ticket or is access only allowed based on your oneworld status?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Just saw this tweet saying the SFO lounge is closing for refurb -

BA’s lounge in San Francisco will close for a much awaited refurbishment on Wednesday 2 January 2019. Whilst the lounge is closed the designated lounge for BA passengers will be the China Airlines Dynasty Lounge.
Any chance this will be completed by April?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
Just saw this tweet saying the SFO lounge is closing for refurb - https://twitter.com/LondonAirTravel/...54218132275205
Any chance this will be completed by April?
Unfortunately not. I just asked and the refurbishment is expected to take six to eight months.

rb211.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:56 pm

I assume that the BA lounge @ SFO is now closed and that the China Airlines' Lounge is the designated lounge for non-status passengers at least.

However, if one is silver, is that the best option or is the CX lounge better? What about gold?

rb211.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:38 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
There are reports that the CX lounge will not allow in people not flying CX metal citing capacity constraints. It’s not unreasonable as the CX lounge is quite small.

Q WP Access to SFO Cathay Lounge
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
There are reports that the CX lounge will not allow in people not flying CX metal citing capacity constraints. It’s not unreasonable as the CX lounge is quite small.

Thanks! Does anyone know if there is a First/Gold/OWE specific area inside the China Airlines Lounge?

rb211.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The Dynasty Lounge does have what CI refers to as an “Exclusive Area”. From what I have read, this is a small 22 seat room. As the main lounge has a seating capacity of just 66, I wonder if BA can unlock other options so it can provide seats for all its eligible passengers. This might entail an agreement with Cathay or JAL.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
The Dynasty Lounge does have what CI refers to as an “Exclusive Area”. From what I have read, this is a small 22 seat room. As the main lounge has a seating capacity of just 66, I wonder if BA can unlock other options so it can provide seats for all its eligible passengers. This might entail an agreement with Cathay or JAL.
Thanks Prospero. Yes, 22 plus 66 doesn't seem like enough for all the Firsts, CWs, Silvers and Golds!

rb211.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
Based on BA284 departure time, I believe CX lounge should have capacity prior to that flight, but I've been there a few times in the evening and it got very crowded, so I suspect they will have trouble handling pax for the A380 flights
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:39 pm

Thanks! Does anyone know if there is a First/Gold/OWE specific area inside the China Airlines Lounge?
rb211.
Just came back in F from SFO on the BA286 on 2nd January, which according to the check in guy was the first day the BA lounge is closed for refurbishment and was invited to use the China Airlines lounge instead. The lounge agent at the desk was in BA uniform and was very friendly, directing us to the separate F section. The section has at a guess around 30 seats with small counter with some ham and cheese, and about 4 bottles of wine/champagne. The seats are mostly in rows and there wasn't a very attractive ambience. We had a look at the main lounge area which was OK, but decided to check out the CX lounge instead.

Originally Posted by sxc

We got in without any problem, and it looked like quite a few other BA passengers had the same idea. The lounge did get busier, but there were still seats available. I seem to remember the capacity sign said something like 433 persons. We thought the CX lounge was much better, better food and drink, self-pour , and with a more attractive layout and appearance.

Does anyone know if they are expanding the size of the BA lounge when they refurbish it? It needs to be bigger I think, especially the F area.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Does anyone know if they are expanding the size of the BA lounge when they refurbish it? It needs to be bigger I think, especially the F area.
I agree, more space is needed for both the Flounge and the other part (Terraces/Galleries/whatever) but I don't think that's happening. The latest information I have is that the overall space for the lounge is to remain the same.

rb211.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:52 pm

I agree, more space is needed for both the Flounge and the other part (Terraces/Galleries/whatever) but I don't think that's happening. The latest information I have is that the overall space for the lounge is to remain the same.

rb211.
Thanks, let's hope they can use the space better to provide more capacity then. It does seem odd, all this investment and yet the main problem the lounge faces doesn't appear to be addressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.