FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Credit against debit cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1667553-credit-against-debit-cards.html)

Nightbus to Dalson Mar 31, 2015 12:58 am

Credit against debit cards

I bought a BA flight recently that included EI in one of the legs but the system would only let me pay via a credit card & would not allow me to pay with my debit card.
Any thoughts on why this would happen?

NtD

Oaxaca Mar 31, 2015 1:05 am

Did the booking originate outside UK and get billed in EUR? BA don't seem to accept debit cards for these bookings, though I don't know why. Whenever I book a one-way from Europe to UK, I have the same issue.

Dont Travel Without Your Pete Mar 31, 2015 1:15 am

I use a lot of ex Eu bookings with BA and the system usually does not automatically let me use my default UK debit card. I tend to use my prepaid euro debit card, which is stored and can be selected from the drop down...avoiding any extra fees..

Tobias-UK Mar 31, 2015 1:25 am

There are a small number of debit cards that do not permit foreign currency transactions. Perhaps this is the reason you are unable to use your card?

Nightbus to Dalson Mar 31, 2015 1:30 am

It was outside of UK & EU.
Strangely my debit card is one of my saved cards but it would not allow me to chose it although I could pay via paypal where the same card is saved.
Makes no sense to me.

Tobias-UK Mar 31, 2015 1:35 am

Presumably PayPal would transact in GBP with your debit card? It sounds like your debit card is one of those that does not permit foreign currency transactions. If so this is outside the control of BA (well to the degree they only permit transactions in the currency of the country of the originating flight).

paul4040 Mar 31, 2015 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 24592968)
Presumably PayPal would transact in GBP with your debit card? It sounds like your debit card is one of those that does not permit foreign currency transactions. If so this is outside the control of BA (well to the degree they only permit transactions in the currency of the country of the originating flight).

I have the same issue. My debit card definitely allows foreign currency transactions.

It won't actually allow you to select anything other than a credit card when you go to pay. I don't know why BA have this policy. I have the same problem when booking one ways from Europe to the UK.

Oaxaca Mar 31, 2015 5:13 am

Originally Posted by paul4040 (Post 24593241)
I have the same issue. My debit card definitely allows foreign currency transactions.

It won't actually allow you to select anything other than a credit card when you go to pay. I don't know why BA have this policy. I have the same problem when booking one ways from Europe to the UK.

Same here. It's definitely a BA issue/decision, no problem using my registered UK debit card for other foreign currency transactions. I have a Halifax Clarity credit card, so I just use that now to avoid transaction charges on non-GBP bookings with BA.