Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT 747-400 Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Heathrow [UK] – 2 October 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA

I am looking to organise a session at the BAFT simulators at Heathrow. We have been recommended to use the 747-400 simulators and they have the latest virtual systems on them apparently. This will be a repeat of the outing we did last year in October.

Previous Trip Reports for the 747-400 Simulators
Cost
Each simulator holds 4 people and one instructor. The total cost of a 4 hour session in one simulator would be £1,700, and this would give around 45-60 minutes of time per person on the controls – although we would rotate during the session so this would be split in to a number of smaller time chunks.

As we are charged per simulator generally a group in multiples of 4 would be ideal, with cost per person being £425.

If we only had three people for example we would still have to pay £1,700 so the cost per person increases to £567 per person, although we would each get a bit more time at the controls. If we end up with 5 or 6 though it may well make sense to go to 1 simulator to reduce the cost and have say 45/50 minutes each per simulator.

Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have a multiple of 4, although a multiple of 4 would be ideal.

Payment
Once the date is confirmed and booked each person would pay their share directly to BAFT, this is likely to be around August when payment is due. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additional cost. Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of £3,400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Dates & Times
Unfortunately weekends are not possible for a group booking, so the options are weekdays and the time slots available would be 0700-1100, 1100-1500, 1500-1900, or 1900-2300. My own preference would be a Friday and probably 1900-2300 as (coming from the regions) I would only need to take half a day off work and wouldn't have to worry about getting back for working the next day. For those in London or around the South East you could come in the evening and there would be no need for any holiday being used.

If we booked for a date within 3 months it would be difficult so choose what we wanted due to availability. However, beyond 3 months is much better and we should be able to book our choice of date & time. In order to do this we need to book by the end of May at the latest.

The date selected is:
  • Friday 2 October 1900-2300 - KARFA, FastTrak2Elite, flatlander, matthandy, GDOCP, 12939, Jagboi 7

Standby - csutter, KARFA+1, patentlyobvious, BoeBus, v2837v

We will be booking two 747 simulators for the evening, one for 3 and the other for 4:

Group of 3 -flatlander, KARFA, 12939 - to pay £566.67 each
Group of 4 - FastTrak2Elite, matthandy, GDOCP, Jagboi - to pay £425 each

The BAFT site and simulators are located just outside the Eastern perimeter of Heathrow. More details here.

This year the simulators are all gradually being moved from Cranebank to another facility closer to the Engineering Base at Heathrow. 4 flight simulators have already moved and the whole project will be completed in November of this year. The result of this is if we end up taking one simulator, it would probably be at Cranebank. However, if we ended up taking two simulators, they would probably be in the new facility which is at the Engineering Base near Hatton Cross tube station.
Print Wikipost

FT 747-400 Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Heathrow [UK] – 2 October 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have the information for the sim session from BAFT now. Will send a PM to all with the details in the next few days.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:33 pm

Do you still have any seats left?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi midiman. Sorry, we are pretty much all confirmed and paying now so no one has dropped out. Keep an eye out for it in 2016, I intend to do it again next year.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, VS Silver, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Add me to that list for 2016, too, please! Have a great time!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bettertoturnleftthanright
Add me to that list for 2016, too, please! Have a great time!
Yes, I should be doing this next year around the same time, and the more the merrier.

Some photos and videos from tomorrow will be posted in due course.

Also sorry to all the people on stanby (csutter, patentlyobvious, BoeBus, v2837v), hopefully you can come next year.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:14 pm

Hi,

Can you post a review from tomorrow, and provide some feedback etc.

i.e Contact details, overall experience and so on.

I am looking to book something either this month or next.

Would be willing to share is anyone is still up for it.

Have a good time.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by midiman
Hi,

Can you post a review from tomorrow, and provide some feedback etc.

i.e Contact details, overall experience and so on.

I am looking to book something either this month or next.

Would be willing to share is anyone is still up for it.

Have a good time.
Thanks. I am sure comments will be posted soon after, but as we finish at 2300 tomorrow thr priority will be the bar rather than any posting I imagine so it may have to wait until Saturday or Sunday. Photos and videos will follow as well but may take a few days/weeks.

There are lots of photos, videos, and comments in the threads from last year linked to in the wiki.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who came yesterday. From comments after I I think we all enjoyed it immensely. The new facility at the engineering base is very impressive as well.

I have to say that after getting very use to flying a 737-800 it felt like going from driving a car to driving a bus with the 747. I found the pitch power issue very difficult to manage.

Thank you to our BAFT contact A who organised it all and took the 4 group, and to our SFO P who took my 3 group. Both are a credit to BA and really put the effort in to make sure we all enjoyed it. I will be submitting a ba.com/welldone in due course.

Lots of photos and videos being taken last night. I wonder if we should start a thread in the TR board and just all post to it? It will take me a few days to sort my photos and videos out.

As I have said before I will run it again next year around the same time.

After a few drinks in the bar at the HGI I went to bed about 2am. Getting up at 6.30am and making my 9.35am flight to EDI was a struggle! Anyway CCR was very pleasant as always and great to meet andsett1191 as well. Whilst he enjoyed the champagne I stuck to coffee due to my "condition".
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Thanks to Karfa for organizing this outing. I had a great time, it was amazing how fast the time passed, it sure didn't feel like 4 hours. I think it was worth coming over for, it was a fascinating experience.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: None anymore
I would like to add my thanks to KARFA for organising this event again and also to BAFT 'A' and SFO 'P' who looked after us superbly. It was also great to meet some more fellow FT'ers and reacquaint myself with KARFA and Flatlander. Great evening - thanks guys.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Firstly let me say thank you to KARFA for organising everything and for 'A' and 'P' for making the evening a truly superb experience. I cannot recommend the experience enough and I'll definitely be doing it again.

We started off by meeting at the Hilton Garden Inn and then walked down to the security office to meet our BA Global Learning Academy contact and collect our security passes. We then made our way into the engineering base for BA.

The simulators had recently been re-located from Cranebank to a new facility (inside an old building) at the engineering base. The facility itself is hugely impressive. There is a row of simulators stretching almost as far as the eye can see. BA have everything here including the latest aircraft such as the 787 and the A380. There are also simulators for older aircraft and even those that BA do not fly anymore, such as the 757.

Walking to collect our security passes we saw this, the aircraft type that we'd be 'flying' tonight

Entering the engineering base

Count the simulators!

A 787 simulator in action

We made our way upstairs to the mezzanine level in order to 'board' the simulators that we'd be using tonight. The group was split into two. The first group of three had previous experience whereas the group of four of which I was a part of, had absolutely none! The experienced guys went off with Senior First Officer 'P' and we went off with our BA contact.

I admit to feeling quite nervous and not fully knowing what to expect. However our contact 'A' was beyond superb. He started off by explaining the fire alarm and how to exit the simulator should it go off. Then we boarded and 'A' set up the simulator.

Simulators in a row

Simulators in a row

Our simulator, number 4

Setting everything up

This is what the screens look like with no graphics

Once powered up it all looked very real. The graphics were quite amazing. There were even cars driving on the roads around Heathrow and aircraft parked at T5 and T3 in their expected positions (QF A380 on it's normal gate at T3 for example). The graphics didn't move as you did so it truly looked like you were looking off into the distance.

We then had a pre-flight briefing. 'A' explained everything really well. He took us through the basics, some of the panels in the cockpit and how the controls work. It was then time for someone to have a go. GDOCP was first up. 'A' started with some basics such as the rudder. We learned when air is moving over the wings on the ground (take off and landing) the aircraft is directed using the rudder, not the yoke (which only works in the air). He then practiced some braking and the simulator tipped forward quite dramatically. It's very important to be strapped in!

We have a runway, the southern runway at LHR as it happens, facing towards T5. Pre-flight briefing.

A view of the cockpit panels and screens. The main panels, throttles, brakes and tyres (lower screen), engine status (centre screen), landing gear and the auto pilot controls above.

First officer matthandy in the hot seat.

Getting ready to go, with GDOCP in the FO's seat

The first exercise was to take off, do a few turns and then land. We each took turns. What surprised me when it was my turn is that it really is very much like a computer game. I did not look outside at all and focussed only on the flight display screen in front of me. The aim of the game was to keep the white square lined up on the magenta lines (the flight director). Basically, the computer was telling me where to put the aircraft (programmed by 'A').

The aircraft was easy enough to fly if trimmed well but very heavy otherwise. My landing was, er, ok. It was on the centre line at least but my approach was a little high. The main gear was put down quite hard on the runway and the nose gear took some time to come down. What you have to fight against is the urge to actually force the nose down and land it into the runway as opposed to drifting down. 'A' proclaimed that he was very impressed as most first timers end up on the grass. It should be pointed out though that we used the auto-throttles and 'A' controlled them at 100ft. I tried this manually and found it much more difficult but still got us down. In comparison, take off is extremely easy!

I should say that I was a bit worried about how violent the simulator would be. It was certainly unforgiving in terms of heavy landings but not as bad as I had thought. Just don't ask for the 'severe' setting in terms of turbulence!

Let's push those throttles

My turn - 'A' giving me instruction - I was quite nervous
("it's not real, it's not real")

Banking to the right

Time for FastTrak2Elite to have a go

On the approach - it looks pretty real doesn't it?

Jaboi's turn

The other group's simulator - must be heavy braking - you can see why you need to strap in!

After we had all had a turn at take-off, doing a circuit and then landing 'A' showed us the auto land function. It was amazing. Basically, the computer is able to land it perfectly, even in fog. It controlled everything, the throttles, the yoke, the brakes etc.

It was then time for a break, we'd been going for a couple of hours. We met up with the other guys, swapped a few stories, had a quick drink (non-alcoholic of course) and then got straight back into it.

We returned to the simulator to practice landings. The simulator has a handy feature that will allow you start from the same position each time, just press the appropriate button and it will reset itself and sort everything out.

Another landing from me, better this time

100ft

Despite the hands, I was being praised

JagBoi's turn again

Some of the simulator controls

We spent the last 30 minutes or so doing quick landings. I had literally 5 minutes left and managed a near perfect approach and touch down. Pressure must help I guess.

And then that was it, our four hours was over. Phew, what an exhilarating experience! On the way out one of the kind engineers allowed us to take a peak at the A380 simulator. It was extremely impressive. Maybe we should look at doing that one next year

The A380 simulator

The A380 cockpit

In summary it was an amazing, exhausting, immersive experience that I'm keen to repeat. Roll on next year.

Last edited by matthandy; Oct 4, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:12 pm

4 hours in 'the box' is indeed an exhausting experience but time does pass quickly!

Bet you earned the beer afterwards. Great photos..
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I also add my thanks to KARFA for organising it.

My landing technique has improved from bouncing it to fairly smooth, but it's not easy, even with help and perfect conditions.

I note that noone in our party crashed into Terminal 4, which some people do

Time passed very quickly, but it was still very enjoyable! I would go again, and again, and again, and oops my wallet is empty...
Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Ah yes, that new tradition where i say to the wife 'it was the FT BA sim do last night, next year dear?'. The immortal words 'maybe' in return. Humpf. Back to FSX.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your thanks to me. I enjoy doing it and sharing my hobby with others. It is a nice way to meet some like minded FT'ers and throw around a few 747 simulators for an evening

Nice photos matthandy. I only got home at 2130 this evening so it will take a few days for me to sort my photos and videos out.

Originally Posted by flatlander
My landing technique has improved from bouncing it to fairly smooth, but it's not easy, even with help and perfect conditions.
Understatement of the year! I am convinced that this year's flatlander must have been different to last year's! All the landings were good, but that first one was amazing. You just kissed the runway and there was just a mere hint of vibration in the flight deck to signify our touchdown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.