Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

daytime flight JFK-LHR, what meals will I get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

daytime flight JFK-LHR, what meals will I get?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Well don't look to me, I would keep you slim.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I fly eastbound TATL (ex-Boston) about twice a month these days, and am personally disappointed with the food offering in WTP.

A backward step was swapping breakfast for "brunch". Prior to this there were two breakfast choices, a full English and a nice veggie option usually involving a frittata. In CW there was also a surprisingly nice pancakey thing involving a Grand Marnier. All very nice and breakfasty, very appropriate given everyone's been up since the arse crack of dawn and either not had breakfast yet or at best a slice of toast in the lounge.

Some bright spark then decided that breakfast wasn't right at breakfast time, and now for brunch there is either a heavier mixed grill option, replacing nice breakfasty eggs with a chunk of barely-edible steak, or a veggie option of pasta, usually with a cream and mushroom sauce.

Pasta.

For breakfast.

CW's slightly better with the smoked salmon, Bircher muesli etc. to start, but the additional mains beyond the above usually consist of a fish or chicken dish more suited to dinner than breakfast.

Prior to landing in WTP you get a slice of cake, guaranteeing you're starving by the time you get to your central London hotel after 9.

That last part I can deal with, but I'd welcome a bring back breakfast campaign, as there really are some things in life that shouldn't be messed with.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by User Name
That last part I can deal with, but I'd welcome a bring back breakfast campaign, as there really are some things in life that shouldn't be messed with.
Am I the only person here who really cannot be bothered with the 'standard' breakfast food unless it involves poached or freshly fried eggs and would be very much against the 'bring back breakfast' campaign?

I think we're all individuals and quite different. Time to demand meals ranging from 0-3,000 calories per serving in WT and anything from 0 to 7 meals in 6 hours, served any time we request, of course. Naturally, F should range from 0-10,000 calories, 0-25 meals in 6 hours. The range of food should include 5,000 different ingredients prepared to the individual preference.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Very interesting that VS serves the second meal as the main meal - given the timings of the flight this seems more logical and more focused to the customers' needs. I personally would prefer a lighter breakfast and a more substantial lunch/dinner.

Thinking about it, I actually don't know of any BA flight where the second meal service is the main service. Maybe it suits the crew/airline better to get the main meal out of the way first?
Ex-Middle East flights (Dubai, specifically) departing at 1 or 2 AM has a snack after takeoff followed by a hot breakfast before landing. I always skip all catering - am normally asleep by the time we have taken off and arrive feeling groggy.

I think the general idea with the breakfast service out of East Coast is that if you have had to get up early in Manhattan and get to JFK, you may have eaten nothing yet! BA's format on this route is a hot meal and a snack. It's such a short flight (6-6-1/2 hours airborne) that two full meals would be excessive in my view.

I can see the argument for flipping the service - IE a "continental breakfast" followed by a hot dinner, but you can't please everyone.

Of course if you fly F you can dine on demand!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I fly eastbound TATL (ex-Boston) about twice a month these days, and am personally disappointed with the food offering in WTP.

A backward step was swapping breakfast for "brunch". Prior to this there were two breakfast choices, a full English and a nice veggie option usually involving a frittata. In CW there was also a surprisingly nice pancakey thing involving a Grand Marnier. All very nice and breakfasty, very appropriate given everyone's been up since the arse crack of dawn and either not had breakfast yet or at best a slice of toast in the lounge.

Some bright spark then decided that breakfast wasn't right at breakfast time, and now for brunch there is either a heavier mixed grill option, replacing nice breakfasty eggs with a chunk of barely-edible steak, or a veggie option of pasta, usually with a cream and mushroom sauce.

Pasta.

For breakfast.

CW's slightly better with the smoked salmon, Bircher muesli etc. to start, but the additional mains beyond the above usually consist of a fish or chicken dish more suited to dinner than breakfast.

Prior to landing in WTP you get a slice of cake, guaranteeing you're starving by the time you get to your central London hotel after 9.

Is
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm with you on scrapping breakfast on these flights. Whoever changed it is a genius and long may it stay. CW breakfasts are poor at the best of times.

Besides most in J / F will have had breakfast in the lounge and will be ready for Br/Lunch.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:40 am

I usually bring food along for this flight in all cabins. I really feel that the catering is one of the poorest across the BA network.

I do miss the AA catering on this route when they still had a daytime JFK-LHR. In F/J:

Breakfast served after take-off. Appetizer tray (fruit plate, cereal, yogurt, breads, sometimes salmon). Then choice of 3 breakfast entrees or a lunch type salad.

Couple of hrs later - fruit and cheese plate

2hrs before landing - Dinner - usually a huge salad / hot sandwich / sometimes soup / dessert (cookies / ice cream in F).
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:35 pm

I did BOS-LHR in F about a year ago (I think it left around 0800?) and they served the usual breakfast after take-off (fruit, yoghurt, cereals, pastries, then a choice of 3 "mains", which were full English, pancakes, or smoked salmon.

They served a version of the usual "afternoon tea" before landing, but without the scones or chocolates.

I have heard that they've changed it to a brunch since then.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
There seems to be a clear between VS and BA on their day flight provisions.

VS in my experience (Upper Class) serves a bacon roll style breakfast after take off, followed by a full 3 course dinner service about 2.5 / 3 hours out.
I would personally prefer that option.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Am I the only person here who really cannot be bothered with the 'standard' breakfast food unless it involves poached or freshly fried eggs and would be very much against the 'bring back breakfast' campaign?
+1. CW breakfasts are not good and I certainly wouldn't want to see them return.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
All very nice and breakfasty, very appropriate given everyone's been up since the arse crack of dawn and either not had breakfast yet or at best a slice of toast in the lounge.
Many people would have eaten breakfast by the time one is served on the plane (I personally would not wait until long after take-off to eat given how early one needs to get up for these early morning flights) and would not want to have a second breakfast. Brunch options will satisfy those who want breakfast and those who are already ready for lunch.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Many people would have eaten breakfast by the time one is served on the plane (I personally would not wait until long after take-off to eat given how early one needs to get up for these early morning flights) and would not want to have a second breakfast. Brunch options will satisfy those who want breakfast and those who are already ready for lunch.
I think that most put some food in their mouths to keep themselves going until they're fed on the plane. The difference is whether they consider that to be breakfast or not.

Example - flying CW ex-BOS and staying at a downtown Boston hotel. Up at 05:45, leave hotel maybe 06:30 (before breakfast service has started), airport by 07:00. Get to the lounge - choice of unripe fruit, pot of yogurt, watery oatmeal or a pastry. Basically a low-ranking 2-star motel breakfast, since they enhanced away the hot food a couple of years back. If I'm flying business then I'd like something better than that.

Couple of mouthfuls of fruit just to keep you going maybe and then onto the plane where you get served, essentially, lunch.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I think that most put some food in their mouths to keep themselves going until they're fed on the plane. The difference is whether they consider that to be breakfast or not.

Example - flying CW ex-BOS and staying at a downtown Boston hotel. Up at 05:45, leave hotel maybe 06:30 (before breakfast service has started), airport by 07:00. Get to the lounge - choice of unripe fruit, pot of yogurt, watery oatmeal or a pastry. Basically a low-ranking 2-star motel breakfast, since they enhanced away the hot food a couple of years back. If I'm flying business then I'd like something better than that.

Couple of mouthfuls of fruit just to keep you going maybe and then onto the plane where you get served, essentially, lunch.
But why limit yourself to the lounge? A lot of people eat breakfast at airport restaurants. If I have time I always eat proper breakfast at the airport before the flight. From what I see many others do the same and then decline breakfast on-board.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Why, can you not fly for just over 6 hours without more food?
Personally I'd rather have something more substantial later as I won't want to stop for food between Heathrow and home -so a lot depends on how much of a journey the OP has and if they want to linger enroute or not.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold
Does anyone know if what’s discussed above is still the case? I’m in WTP tomorrow from EWR on BA180, is it a main breakfast/brunch meal first and a smaller snack later? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.