Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
A Purser'S Airbus Cockpit EMERGENCY Access Procedure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHxv...l=MissDontNews
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You do know that if one of the pilot leaves to go e.g. to the toilet that the other person is a member of cabin crew?

How do you expect them to know what the remaining pilot is doing is something untoward or to be able to stop them?
They may not be able to, but what they can do is open the door if the pilot flying won't.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure we're all aware of the procedures at say AA where a Cabin Crew Member enters the flight deck when a pilot leaves. Surely this is better than this not happening at all?! Give them a little bit of training on opening the door, it looks very simple, I'm sure I could do it now after watching the video.

If the argument is then well, the CCM could be overpowered...yes true. And then equally maybe a pilot can bring a machete onboard, a machine gun or a bomb, but all those things are a given. Requiring a CCM to go into the cockpit would be a positive change.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by rumbataz
I feel sick and frightened at the moment. I have a flight this evening and I'm hoping we have an announcement from the pilot in a reassuring voice before take-off, simply to reassure us that they are on the ball.
Look at this
www.flightradar24.com

It like that all day every day. Terrible though these events are they are incredibly rare, and realistically our diet, or keeping your car well maintained, even our ability to swim are or rather should be of bigger concern.

BTW, I have two BA flights tomorrow IST->LHR->NCL. Deeply saddened by what has happened but not worried by it.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Our procedure appear to be very similar to Germanwings.

I'm afraid that I'm not very reassured to learn this, CanI help you.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
I'm afraid that I'm not very reassured to learn this, CanI help you.
Of course it's the same.... as any other European airline I've ever flown so BA is no different. Have you ever seen a CCM "replace" a pilot on a European flight? I haven't. If its going to change it will be mandated by the European agency or perhaps the CAA.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:03 am

After MH370 (still speculation, but seems to be accepted as the most plausible explanation) and now this its highly likely things will change. Noone can expect BA to have a different system already in place.

The most effective solution to my mind would be some sort of emergency access code that cannot be blocked, but must be communicated up to the cabin (not flight deck) from the ground.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
In a strange sort of way the recent revelation reassures me. I know that it is a terrible thing to have happened, but it's good to know that this wasn't a mechanical failure.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about the human element as people can always find a way to get around procedures and security (whatever is in place). Fortunately, this type of thing isn't likely to happen often IMO.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by phol
The most effective solution to my mind would be some sort of emergency access code that cannot be blocked, but must be communicated up to the cabin (not flight deck) from the ground.
I doubt that would help. Either a) it would take too long to authorise its release for it to be of any use, or b) to avoid that, it would be released without checking the circumstances. If B, it risks being given out under duress, therefore you might as well just have a code that the cabin crew already knows. You would also need some kind of reliable comms to the ground available in the cabin, that could not be disabled from the flight deck.

Unfortunately, it's going to be basically impossible to have a completely foolproof system to keep "bad guys" out and allow "good guys" in. Thankfully, this kind of incident is exceedingly rare.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
Like everyone else I have been following the news of the terrible Germanwings tragedy. It was reported that the USA have a regulation which makes it compulsory to have two people in the cockpit at ALL times. My question is this - does anyone know if BA follow this rule - and which if any other European airlines have adopted it?
The US also allows their flight crew to carry guns... whats to stop one of them shooting the other?

I don't think it would change much by requiring 2 people n the fligth deck.. if someone has the will they will find the way. Wasn't there a pilot suicide where 2 pilots were on the flight deck and fought the controls until it crashed (egyptair?).

And surely this kind of rule only seeds mistrust between crew?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hugolover
Of course it's the same.... as any other European airline I've ever flown so BA is no different. Have you ever seen a CCM "replace" a pilot on a European flight? I haven't. If its going to change it will be mandated by the European agency or perhaps the CAA.
Norwegian have announced they will now require 2 people in the cockpit at all times with immediate effect.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ANstar
I don't think it would change much by requiring 2 people n the fligth deck.. if someone has the will they will find the way...
And surely this kind of rule only seeds mistrust between crew?
Seems to work fine on AA.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by gcuk
Seems to work fine on AA.
But as I posted above - in the US the flight crew can carry guns. So if they had the intent to bring the plane down why wouldn't they just shoot the 2nd person then take the plane down? If someone has the intent - they will find a way.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
It's sad when airlines only seek to meet the minimum legislated standard rather than set a higher benchmark.
Norwegian have announced a policy change of not having a lone person in the cockpit. Makes sense to me.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
I'm pretty sure it's SOP on FR for a member of the cabin crew to enter the cockpit while the pilot uses the facilities. It's happened every time the pilot has come out of the cockpit when I've flown FR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.