Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lifetime TPs and partner cards - data protection issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC

Has anyone else noticed that their two silver and gold partner card nominees
receive an email correctly quoting their Avios balance, but also stating the lifetime TP balance of the nominator?

I was with a colleague this morning who showed me his gold card welcome email (third year running) and it said something like 'here's a bit of good news...'

He then questioned the huge number of lifetime TPs on the top of the email, which was actually my account balance.

He was amazed and I was a little embarrassed. It was no big issue in the end, but I was a bit annoyed that BA had disclosed this figure to him and no doubt my two Silver nominees too.

I have written a note to GGL about this.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
Had the same issue the other day. I gifted a card to a friend and he quoted my lifetime balance. I was somewhat surprised that my information was contained within his email. I suspect it's an IT glitch, but it won't get fixed unless we push it. I will raise the same with the GGL line.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I will raise the same with the GGL line.
^
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:28 am

Sorry to sound confrontational but I think you may be being slightly precious. We aren't talking your bank balance, your mortgage balance or medical records here.
They are just frequent flyer rewards. It really isn't important to the majority of the world. And further more what are the parties who receive said information actually going to do with it? It's hardly going to damage your reputation 'OMG 'x' has 20billion TPs' 'wow! GASP'

Last edited by londonclubguy; Mar 24, 2015 at 10:34 am
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:30 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
It was just the lifetime TP, not the Avios..
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by londonclubguy
Sorry to sound confrontational but I think you may be being slightly precious. We aren't talking your bank balance, your mortgage balance or medical records here.
They are just frequent flyer rewards. It really isn't important to the majority of the world. And further more what are the parties who receive said information actually going to do with it? It's hardly going to damage your reputation 'OMG 'x' has 20billion TPs' 'wow! GASP'
I agree that the nature of the data itself isn't a big issue, but it is still personal data and therefore as a matter of principle should not be emailed to third parties by BA.

Not sure what is so difficult to grasp about that
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HighLife
I agree that the nature of the data itself isn't a big issue, but it is still personal data and therefore as a matter of principle should not be emailed to third parties by BA.

Not sure what is so difficult to grasp about that
But these aren't random third parties/strangers. They're people you nominate for your partner cards....so it's hardly outrageous for BA to assume that you have a reasonable relationship with them.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
If they make a mistake like this, what other mistakes are they going to do?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by bibbju
But these aren't random third parties/strangers. They're people you nominate for your partner cards....so it's hardly outrageous for BA to assume that you have a reasonable relationship with them.
So who is supposed to decide whether information is important and should or shouldn't be disclosed and to whom? The answer is - of course - that no personal information should be stored or used outside of the framework of the data protection act. I suspect BA's information officer will be mortified to find out that this has happened and will move swiftly to prevent it happening in the future.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
So who is supposed to decide whether information is important and should or shouldn't be disclosed and to whom? The answer is - of course - that no personal information should be stored or used outside of the framework of the data protection act. I suspect BA's information officer will be mortified to find out that this has happened and will move swiftly to prevent it happening in the future.
^

I haven't yet received a reply from GGL, but good to see your sensible and rational post here golfmad!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:26 pm

I think bibbju is spot on. You have given out the cards to those who are clearly near/dear to you. It's like my wife knowing my avios balance by subtracting hers from our household account total.
These people seeing how many Lifetime TPs you have is inconsequential. Given you are GGL I'm sure your nearest/dearest are well aware especially as they have been given partner cards and the first question would have been 'how?' and your likely response is I'm considered important to BA due to the amount of business I give them.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
bibbju makes a good common sense point. But I believe the flaw in bibbju's argument is that is improperly transfers the burden of data protection to Highlife by asking him to nominate only those folks with whom he feels comfortable sharing his balances. Yet BA's rules allow him to nominate whosoever he wishes, be it spouse, concubine, gardener, driver or anyone. Now, if BA prescribed the relations to such cards would be given, then perhaps it would be different. But I have hard time defending BA here when they are sending emails with balances to third parties, even third party nominees.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: Varies
I would be deeply uncomfortable if that kind of information was given to any of my friends, family or colleagues. If it happened to me I would be complaining too. Clearly some people don't value their privacy as much as I do, but that doesn't mean that I'm not entitled to it and shouldn't demand it.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry to sound confrontational but I think you may be being slightly precious.
Don't worry, it doesn't really happen that often round here
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

I think bibbju is spot on. You have given out the cards to those who are clearly near/dear to you. It's like my wife knowing my avios balance by subtracting hers from our household account total.
No and no.

They are not necessarily 'near' and 'dear' to me, and what difference does that make anyway?

I might choose to give away a GC or SC in a charity auction to someone I don't know, or I might nominate someone I meet here.

Private information is just that; P R I V A T E, until I decide to give it out.

And again no, it is nothing like your wife being able to deduce your Avios balance by subtracting her own.

As you must surely realise, TPs do not work like this in a HHA, or between you and the people you choose as your SC / GC nominees.

I give up.

Over to BA and their response to my email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.