AA flight on BA booking

Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
AA flight on BA booking

Hope this is clear! I've booked a flight from JFK - SFO, I fare, as part of a BA booking, AA flight number

Is it possible to upgrade to First Class using points (AA or BA)? If not any idea how much it would cost to upgrade?

Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Post 7 on this thread should help. Looks like a 'no' for using Avios if I am reading it correctly as you state as part of a BA booking so assume there is a BA flight in there. However, I fare is not one of the valid fare codes. (No idea about AA points/miles)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post24087999

Last edited by madfish; Mar 23, 2015 at 3:20 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:16 pm

See this from the AA board http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-upgrades.html

If available the asking price is from $200-300

Last edited by AyeCaramba; Mar 23, 2015 at 3:18 pm Reason: correction
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
Thanks. Doesn't look like I fares can be upgraded 😢
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

I've read the link in post 2 but neither I, nor the very helpful Brian on the BA phone, can tell me how many Avios it will cost to upgrade to First. Brian has promised to call me back tomorrow after he's spoken to ticketing in Manchester.

Do any FTers know the answer?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by MsCapricorn
I've read the link in post 2 but neither I, nor the very helpful Brian on the BA phone, can tell me how many Avios it will cost to upgrade to First. Brian has promised to call me back tomorrow after he's spoken to ticketing in Manchester.

Do any FTers know the answer?
You can't do it of course, because you aren't in an eligible fare class but to UuA from business to first would be calculated in this manner:
The Avios amount required for the upgrade is based on the Avios costs for reward flights in the cabins you are upgrading from and to. The formula is:

Avios for the cabin you wish to upgrade to - Avios for the cabin you make your booking in = Avios required to upgrade one way

Here's an example for a one-way upgrade from London to New York, upgrading from premium economy (World Traveller Plus) to business (Club World):

Club World: 40,000 Avios - World Traveller Plus: 30,000 Avios = 10,000 Avios to upgrade
So,
SFO-JFK = ~ 2586 miles
which requires 37,500 avios for a redemption in First, you have a business class booking (which would require 25,000 avios if it was a redemption)
37500 - 25000 = 12500 avios to upgrade to first from business class.

The other way to calculate it and as done in the very helpful Guide is it costs 12,500 avios for a coach redemption flight on that route. It will cost you an additional 1.0x to upgrade from business (the cabin you are in) to first (the cabin you want to upgrade to).
x = the amount of a coach class redemption so 1.0 times x(12500) = 12500 avios.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Apr 2, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You can't do it of course, because you aren't in an eligible fare class but to UuA from business to first would be calculated in this manner:

So,
SFO-JFK = ~ 2586 miles
which requires 37,500 avios for a redemption in First, you have a business class booking (which would require 25,000 avios if it was a redemption)
37500 - 25000 = 12500 avios to upgrade to first from business class.
Thank you

Brian spoke to AA and said he could do it by (I think) changing the fare class. There wouldn't be a cost but he couldn't work out how many Avios.

Fingers crossed he can still do it tomorrow.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by MsCapricorn
Thank you

Brian spoke to AA and said he could do it by (I think) changing the fare class. There wouldn't be a cost but he couldn't work out how many Avios.

Fingers crossed he can still do it tomorrow.
I would expect an increase in fare to move from an inflexible I class to a flexible J, C, or D class ticket (which are the upgradeable fare classes).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.