Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

On BA1 27/3 - Does it get oversold in the same way other flights do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle

Hi everyone,

On Friday I am flying from DUB-LCY-JFK ticketed by AA so AA codeshare on the BA1. As it is getting nearer the time I am getting nervous because I haven't done such a tight connection before. So wanting to know what my options would be if the DUB-LCY was late for example, I decided to look at which flights were available later in the day in case we had to move to a LHR departure. I was surprised to see that all the BA & AA flights for the day are sold out and only 2 have 1 seat available in F!

So I was wondering if BA oversold the BA1, and if so would the tight - though legal connection time would be a reason for being bumped off the flight, and if so what would they offer?

Any thoughts gratefully received - might even see some of you on the flight?!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It would help if you said how long the connection time was!

LCY is a small airport and so arrival and then re-clearing security is very quick. Remember that for people starting at LCY check-in closes something like 20 mins before the departure - and that's if you have luggage - and 15 without.

You would only be off loaded if your flight from DUB was very late. They won't hold the BA1 for you. If that did happen then the BA3 would also be an option.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Don't hold your hopes up for F seats from LHR instead. It sometimes happens but sometimes it doesn't. At the end of the day you booked J so expect J.

Also the question about overselling on the babybus has already been asked a few days ago http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...1-2-3-4-a.html
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I assuming the OP is doing:

BA4465 DUB-LCY 1045-1200
BA1 LCY-JFK 1250-1815
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:43 pm

Same issue discussed in this thread.

I don't think the connection time in itself would be a reason for getting bumped, but if your DUB-LCY flight was delayed so the computer/agents thought you might not make it, that could be.

I don't think there's much you can do at this stage. If your flight is delayed at DUB, you could ask there to be rebooked on a direct DUB-JFK or DUB-PHL/BOS-NYC. Rebooking options once you get to LCY are likely to be scarce if they can't get you on BA3. You might just have to head to LHR on standby and try and get lucky.

Good luck - I hope you make it!

Last edited by Ldnn1; Mar 22, 2015 at 3:54 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Sorry I should have said - its the 10.45 from Dub getting to LCY at 12, connecting to the 12.50 BA1.

Obviously a couple of F seats would be nice, but I am not expecting it. The comment was more to say that of all the flights BA/AA have that day there appears to only be 2 F seats and zero club available for sale, apart from the later BA3. So it was more about wondering what options I could have as a back up.

Also thanks for pointing out the other thread - I did look, but must have missed it!

Starting to look forward to the flight now - I need a holiday!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
If you do miss the LCY-JFK and need to be re-routed, there must be a million possibilities to get from LHR-NYC even if all the direct services are full.

You could go via pretty much any other North American city
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird876
If you do miss the LCY-JFK and need to be re-routed, there must be a million possibilities to get from LHR-NYC even if all the direct services are full.

You could go via pretty much any other North American city
True but it looks pretty busy across the board on Friday, e.g. PHL and BOS are pretty much sold out as well, although there's some space to IAD.

Basically, not a day you want to be dealing with a reroute. Maybe buy a box of chocolates for your DUB-LCY crew and tell the captain to hurry up
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
True but it looks pretty busy across the board on Friday, e.g. PHL and BOS are pretty much sold out as well, although there's some space to IAD.

Basically, not a day you want to be dealing with a reroute. Maybe buy a box of chocolates for your DUB-LCY crew and tell the captain to hurry up
Saturday is very much the same, so not much room for manoeuvre there either.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Rewards Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, Tesco Clubcard
On BA1 27/3 - Does it get over sold in the same way other flights do?

kind of related to the OP's Q , just finished TP run to HNL using BA1, which was excellent BTW - on way back PHX-JFK was cancelled just as we were about to board.....so top tip (main point of this post) is to have a range of re-route options in mind to suggest to the agents, makes it very quick for them to look at the re-book rather than "coming up" with ideas....we managed to get back via LAX on AA's 777-300, a very very good product.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CocktailLounge
kind of related to the OP's Q , just finished TP run to HNL using BA1, which was excellent BTW - on way back PHX-JFK was cancelled just as we were about to board.....so top tip (main point of this post) is to have a range of re-route options in mind to suggest to the agents, makes it very quick for them to look at the re-book rather than "coming up" with ideas....we managed to get back via LAX on AA's 777-300, a very very good product.
Glad to hear you say that, I've got 3 flights booked on those this year only based on what I've read. UD were options but I've done that a few times now and whilst very good, the 747s are just shoddy and not pleasant to be on these days.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CocktailLounge
I wonder if we were on the same fight last Sunday?

In this situation you NEED Expertflyer to see what is available. We ended up pushing back a day and connecting in Y from PHX to LAX for an overnnight then on to LCY. My snowboards made the return trip a week later.

The US staff at PHX were a long way behind the Lounge AAngels in resolving issues like this.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Rewards Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, Tesco Clubcard
Not sunday

no not Sunday... PHX cancellation was on Tuesday - actually we found our lounge angel pretty efficient but noticed her colleague dealing with other re-routes was a bit less so. we took a hit on the TP's to get home, but AA's 777-300 was worth it (especially after narrowly avoiding the initial "back room" rebook onto KLM !! ).our bags are still enjoying their holiday however !
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Seems funny that 2 flights like this were cancelled within 2 days. I will avoid PHX in future and fortunately my other half costing bookings don't touch it. It was nice to try the new Airbus AA Transcon F though.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:16 pm

So, did all you NYC-bound FTers make your flights today? Anyone get bumped?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.