Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways fifth freedoms or BA coded flights in Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:04 pm
Ambassador: LATAM
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Hi BA folks

Come November I am going to have 1560 Tier Points and zero BA eligible flights. Is there anywhere in Asia I can pick some up such as out of KUL, SIN, BKK or HKG that are not back to London?

Cheers
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
SIN-SYD-SIN is it.

See also these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...c-queries.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ba-status.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...=eligible+asia
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks jerry a. laska. In one of those threads you posted there is mention of CMB-MLE but I vaguely remember it is going to be seasonal and cannot see any availability around my dates on BA.com

Has that option gone? Not a huge issue, I will have to do HAM-LHR-MAN-LHR-CPH or something on the way through to Asia from South America. Or failing that, fly back to Europe on IB for more TPs and Avios
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
If you were to go further west from CMB then there is some middle eastern flights BAH-DOH and ABU-MCT, probably mentioned in previous threads though.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Thanks jerry a. laska. In one of those threads you posted there is mention of CMB-MLE but I vaguely remember it is going to be seasonal and cannot see any availability around my dates on BA.com

Has that option gone? Not a huge issue, I will have to do HAM-LHR-MAN-LHR-CPH or something on the way through to Asia from South America. Or failing that, fly back to Europe on IB for more TPs and Avios
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nter-only.html

As noted above if you go to the ME there are some options there.
When you start comparing price and time, just heading doing a roundtrip to HKG-LHR-Anyplace may be easier.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
BA4561/4564 is a CX operated BA codeshare between HKG and KUL which can be booked on the BA website. I think there are some others too - HKG-SYD, HKG-MEL. They are often a lot more expensive than booking the same flights on the operating carrier's code, but they would get you your qualifying flights.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
SIN-SYD-another point in Australia round trip would provide four BA segments.

Note the BA code share SYD-PER has about a 12 hour layover wait. MEL BNE ADL would work out much more conveniently.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks once again for your input everyone.

I was kinda discounting the Australia option because I did not think it would be as economical as mincing around Europe a bit, but I just looked and for my dates it is only £300 return. I am going to decide if I can stomach 8 hours in economy but if I book this before 28 April I also get 100% Avios on this route I presume. Ive never been to Australia before. I only looked on ITA for SIN SYD MEL but did not see any tickets with BA coded flights on the domestic leg.

Thanks for the Middle East fifth freedom suggestions, I am going through Doha twice on my itinerary already so would rather not go back up to the AUH to do a run to Muscat (Although I'd love to go to Oman again)

Likewise the HKG option on CX (Thanks for that) I am already going KUL HKG KUL on this trip in November so don't think I could tolerate doing the same route two more times
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zeltergiset
BA4561/4564 is a CX operated BA codeshare between HKG and KUL which can be booked on the BA website. I think there are some others too - HKG-SYD, HKG-MEL. They are often a lot more expensive than booking the same flights on the operating carrier's code, but they would get you your qualifying flights.
Are you saying you've been able to BA4561/4564 without a LHR-HKG or HKG-LHR? Most of these BA codeshares on partners can only be booked as connections with a BA longhaul flight.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Are you saying you've been able to BA4561/4564 without a LHR-HKG or HKG-LHR? Most of these BA codeshares on partners can only be booked as connections with a BA longhaul flight.
Yep, they are bookable as standalone trips on BA's website. It is strange, I agree that is not usually the case.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Yep, they are bookable as standalone trips on BA's website. It is strange, I agree that is not usually the case.
I just had a look and yes they are there 22 May KUL HKG is £608 in Y or £820 in J. The price is actually the same on CX too

Same route on the same day on MH is £87 in Y or £337 in J

Return on that route, BA is indeed more expensive than CX. Thanks for sharing
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:24 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
I saw BA code shares on some Bangkok Airways domestic Thai flight s, but not sure if bootable without a connecting long haul?
Old May 23, 2015, 9:45 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by GK
I saw BA code shares on some Bangkok Airways domestic Thai flight s, but not sure if bootable without a connecting long haul?
iIRC the one, maybe others, I saw was via BKK onto Koh Samui (USM) but only bookable with a LH connecting flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.