A Tale of Two Shorthauls - Geneva No Gin

Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze

We recently flew Geneva-LGW and then LGW-MLA (both J). The two experiences differed greatly, even allowing for the different bands.

Arrived at the Geneva BA lounge after a long rail journey and in need of a drink to find an area about the same size as the average LGW holding pen jam packed with people. We got lucky because someone left as we arrived, otherwise would have had to prop up the bar. Not much food - two kinds of rolls and some chocolate brownies while we were there, plus peanuts and olives. Worst of all, there was NO gin. Four lonely bottles were lined up - quite literally with their backs against the wall - whisky, vodka, rum - I forget the 4th, but Gin? Definitely NON. I hijacked a member of staff to ask about it but no, they had no gin - no explanation given.

So, by the time we had boarded I was really looking forward to sitting back with a relaxing G & T. After about 20 mins/half an hour a trolley appeared and a (quite decent) salmon salad was handed out. Then nothing. No drinks. My finger was hovering on the call button when one lone FA started taking drinks orders starting at row one. I was in the final row. By this time most people had finished their salmon. After about 10 minutes she had reached row 2 - things were looking desperate. Then - alleluia, her colleague turned up with the drinks trolley. OK, I know that its a short flight, but why on earth could they not serve the drinks first? I can't be the only one who prefers a drink before/with the meal rather than long after it. As for the lounge, surely BA could do better than this at Geneva, which must get both holiday and business traffic - our plane was full. It is hardly Ulan Bator. As it stands it is not exactly a good advertisement for the brand. Its only plus point was the extremely pleasant and welcoming man on the desk at the entrance.

LGW-MLA - LGW is hardly an outpost, so I usually find this lounge and its offerings pretty decent. On this occasion it was absolutely packed - the waitresses had given up handing out the champagne and just left it on the bar so that people could help themselves. I've never seen it so full in there. On the flight we had drinks (first) and as ever, the service was just that bit sharper - the FA's don't just hand over your chosen drink and move smartly on, you get [I]'is there anything else I can get [/Iyou?' I know its band 4 but I always find that the LGW/MLA service is that much better than other routes. We get dessert AND cheese and someone usually comes round with glossy magazines to choose from. I don't think either of these things happen in club on shorter flights, so it must be a band thing.

So there you are. I haven't done much Club Europe BA travel other than in band 4 and after the latest experience I'm inclined to agree with others that its really not worth the extra for the shorter flights.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I can't really add any other comment than that I too find it bizarre that drinks are served after the meal. Often I've nearly finished my dinner before I get a drink to go with it. Who thinks these things up?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
OK, I know that its a short flight, but why on earth could they not serve the drinks first? I can't be the only one who prefers a drink before/with the meal rather than long after it.
You're certainly not; I would find it strange to eat any meal without some kind of drink.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Yes, bizarre is the only word to describe it. Yet it doesn't happen on band 4 short haul flights. I don't understand it at all.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by paul4040
I can't really add any other comment than that I too find it bizarre that drinks are served after the meal. Often I've nearly finished my dinner before I get a drink to go with it. Who thinks these things up?
The accountants.

If they serve the drink after the meal on a short flight then there's no time to ask for a second drink. @:-)
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:27 pm

The service standards are written by BA. On Band1 and Band2 flights we are to hand out the meal first and then do drinks. It's the way BA wants it. At least it wasn't a hot meal going cold as it was a salad

Band3 and Band4 flights, we are to serve drinks with nuts first, according to BA.

Please don't shoot the messenger
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The accountants.

If they serve the drink after the meal on a short flight then there's no time to ask for a second drink. @:-)
I'm now wondering whether that might be a bit closer to the truth than we realise!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Thanks for the write-up. My J trip to MLA on a 737 was fantastic - and it's a great place to visit.
Do you remember what the aircraft were, perchance?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC
I should think thats it's to ensure (esp. on band 1 flights) that there is sufficient time for pax to eat, and then for CC to tidy up again, before the seatbelt seats are switched back on. You can keep drinks after the signs have been switched on, but not food. The argument for this is not as strong for band 2s, but maybe it's to ensure the rules are less complicated.

I may be (and probably am) completely wrong.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:52 pm

I hate it. Meal then drinks. Where does that happen in any restaurant? Awful service. I don't care if the 'service standard' is that way.

Is there at least a water bottle or cup on the tray, or have they enhanced this too in their infinite wisdom?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Meal before drink has bugged me in the past, too.

OP, was there only one cabin crew member in Club? If there's two, the second crew member normally follows directly behind the first, so the gap isn't that big.

If there's only one crew member, they obviously have to do all the meals then all the drinks.

And, good luck if you want tea/coffee with the early part of your meal. That's after the drinks!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It's annoying to be without a drink but with cold food you have an option to wait for the drink to arrive without affecting anything, whereas it doesn't work with hot food.

Since there is no 'choice of meals' on these flights it's faster to distribute the meals first and then get onto the drinks (which can take a while to do), especially as the drinks can be served in a plastic cup late in the flight if needed so that they can keep the drink till after all the trays had to be collected.

Crew to passenger ratio is at the minimum level so it becomes pretty important to prioritise. If they are very over-crewed like you get on some airlines (I have had 3 crew members to 12 seats in F on some domestic flights in another country - of course, it's easy to do all the service then including a hot meal and multiple drinks) but that's not the case here, and over-crewing in countries like the UK with a lot of fare pressures (esp at LGW) and relatively high wages/fare ratio compared to some other countries would be unsustainable.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 22, 2015 at 2:08 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Somehow, on a recent 55 minute flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui (A319) the crew managed to serve drinks, followed by a hot meal, followed by tea/coffee.

Crew levels seemed to be pretty much the same as my BA flight from AMS-LHR earlier that day. They were just very efficient.

Last edited by Magic01273; Mar 22, 2015 at 2:16 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:04 pm

My first ever flight on BA was to JER. In a 35 minute flight I was offered a newspaper, (soft) drink, meal, coffee/tea and duty free. OK it was 30 years ago and I was a teenager, but if they could do it then...
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ENTP
Thanks for the write-up. My J trip to MLA on a 737 was fantastic - and it's a great place to visit.
Do you remember what the aircraft were, perchance?
Sorry ENTP, I didn't notice what aircraft it was. It was one of the largest J cabins I've seen on short haul though, must have been 6 or 7 rows. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip - I think that the LGW/MLA BA route is one of their best. We celebrated when BA returned to MLA last year!

Originally Posted by InfiniteCycle
I hate it. Meal then drinks. Where does that happen in any restaurant? Awful service. I don't care if the 'service standard' is that way.

Is there at least a water bottle or cup on the tray, or have they enhanced this too in their infinite wisdom?
^ No, nothing to drink at all until after the food - after which the drinks - finally appear. As it was a cold salmon salad I just waited, had my G & T, then my glass of wine with the meal - by which time I was the only one left with a tray!

Speedbird, there were two crew members in J and at least I now know they were only doing what they had been told. However it ruined the meal - feel sorry for the crew who probably get unfairly blamed for what I think is a dreadful way to serve a meal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.