Does BA oversell BA001-2-3-4?

Old Mar 21, 15, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
Lightbulb Does BA oversell BA001-2-3-4?

Just wondering...as on Friday 27/03 BA001 is "sold out" on BA.com.

What would happen if they do oversell and if more than 32pax show up? I guess they would re-protect via LHR...J or F?

Cheers
Old Mar 21, 15, 6:48 am

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
Does BA oversell BA001-2-3-4?

My understanding is they start calling up passengers and offering F ex LHR from what u have read on here
Old Mar 21, 15, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
It seems like BA/AA LHR/JFK flights on 27/03 are sold out, in ALL classes. Glitch?
Old Mar 21, 15, 7:01 am

Yes, they do. I was booked on a Monday morning flight in December and it was overbooked by two. It went out with three empty seats.
Old Mar 21, 15, 7:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by 81romeo View Post
It seems like BA/AA LHR/JFK flights on 27/03 are sold out, in ALL classes. Glitch?
Not checked27/3 but know that the early flights on the Saturday are sold out in J very little left in F even if you want to pay full fare flexible.
Old Mar 21, 15, 7:53 am

Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
I was on BA3 yesterday and the pax who was supposed to be next to me didn't turn up - I suspect that there is quite a lot of last minute change on that route.

Service was stellar as usual - just the right balance between professional and informal.
Old Mar 21, 15, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, IHG Spire, former black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
Originally Posted by 81romeo View Post
could be a glitch.

and/or it's the Friday before Easter week....

and/or there might be something else going on that makes JFK the place to be?
Old Mar 21, 15, 8:42 am

Wow, pretty much completely full on Virgin/Delta as well.

Hope there aren't any IRROPs as that won't be pretty!
Old Mar 21, 15, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Seems like JFK is the place to be 😂
Old Mar 21, 15, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Well its the start of spring break for most the US colleges but can't think that would have that much effect on J/F
Old Mar 21, 15, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by fourspoons View Post
Well its the start of spring break for most the US colleges but can't think that would have that much effect on J/F
All sales we had in the last 6 months had a low fare window between 27/3 and 12/4.
Old Mar 21, 15, 9:20 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Your calendar is about 2/3 weeks too late... only handful of colleges have spring break post 27/03. About 40 in total. Most are back by then.
Old Mar 21, 15, 1:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Just checked the seat plan for BA117 on 28/3. As things stand there are only 4 seats left in CW (hopefully one of these is going to be mine as not reserved anything yet!) 17K on the lower deck, 60B, 63K and 64B on the upper. Will it be right to assume that any golds would have already reserved, so no chance of anything else opening up? The bassinet seats that were available earlier today have also been taken, so some people booking at T-7. I assume any other people travelling with children have also been allocated.

Is it also possible to check if the flight is oversold other than simply checking that no tickets left? Doubt there is any chance of an op-up either as First is also sold out - and if bumped to anything else, not much remaining for the rest of the day, unless they can put me on the direct LHR/LAX instead.

EDIT: Only showing 1 seat left in economy at 14.15, and some First left on AA at 17.05 - and that is it for the whole day!

Last edited by madfish; Mar 21, 15 at 1:19 pm
Old Mar 21, 15, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
That doesn't necessarily follow, given the dynamic approach to the selling configuration. If BA thinks there will be a lot of profitable Y traffic and little profitable F and J traffic, it can shrink the size of the F and J cabins in the selling configuration. One consequence would be that availability in F and J would fall simply because BA expects to sell lots of Y seats.
Old Mar 21, 15, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by madfish View Post
Will it be right to assume that any golds would have already reserved, so no chance of anything else opening up?
You haven't taken cancellations into account.

It'll be too early to know whether the flight is oversold. It sounds like it's definitely overbooked, but BA flights are only rarely oversold. Even if it's not the exact terminology used at BA, it's important to distinguish between the two concepts.

Search this Thread