Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Boarding Trial Experience

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

They are definitely not today, at least not on the 17:15, gate 1 is laid out as usual. The first person to turn up and reserve his place for the queue for Fast Track queuing did so at 16:25 (which is madness, in my view).
The fact that someone's turned up 50 minutes early for a flight lasting about 30 has made me chuckle.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by BA0197
The pax are doing nothing wrong by taking their permitted allowance onboard and the GA are doing nothing wrong either. On a full flight with a majority of people taking their full allowance onboard- bags will have to be checked. It just so happens that the last people to board in this new trial are the status pax at row 1 who have to board last.
I was at AMS yesterday waiting for the last LHR flight and the GAs were roaming around just as boarding started pouncing on unsuspecting pax and telling them that the aircraft didn't have room for all the hand baggage and that they would have to check their bags.

Some of these pax had only one modestly-sized bag but they willingly handed them over anyway

Originally Posted by BA0197
I would also add that, if pax are getting frustrated to the point of becoming upset- check in your luggage and utilise the allowance you are entitled to in the hold. If you bring your cabin baggage onboard with you, one must accept that it has the possibility to be checked into the hold.

Of course- that is not what the majority of people on this board would think to do.
If you're got nothing better to do with your life than wait at the baggage belt, this is a sound strategy.

For those of us with other plans for our remaining time amongst the living, I won't be voluntarily handing either of my cabin bags in for BA to check!

My (single, floppy) bag is perfect for BA's lockers, even arch-cynic shorthauldad is almost very impressed by it.
Hey!

Since the day I bought one like it, it's been with me on every trip. ^
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I was at AMS yesterday waiting for the last LHR flight and the GAs were roaming around just as boarding started pouncing on unsuspecting pax and telling them that the aircraft didn't have room for all the hand baggage and that they would have to check their bags.

Some of these pax had only one modestly-sized bag but they willingly handed them over anyway

If you're got nothing better to do with your life than wait at the baggage belt, this is a sound strategy.

For those of us with other plans for our remaining time amongst the living, I won't be voluntarily handing either of my cabin bags in for BA to check!

Hey!

Since the day I bought one like it, it's been with me on every trip. ^
We did this at AA and it worked brilliantly. On services we knew that the aircraft would not be able to accommodate all the carry on bags (from experience), we would call people up to voluntarily check their bags. It solved the bag problem 50% of the time. I also would say that elites tend to not take us up on the offer because of the reasons you have stated.

If we started to board the aircraft and then found out during the boarding process that the lockers were full, we would stop the queue and require everyone to check in their large bag- full stop. If an elite was boarding late then, he, reluctantly was forced to check in his bag.

Leisure/occasional travelers actually consider our checking in of a bag a QUALITY service that goes beyond standard customer service. Little do they know they are helping us out. To them- carrying everything is a pain and we offered a free solution to that.

Your comments reaffirm my position that FFs do not help the situation of no space in the lockers and disproportionately cause a lack of space compared to the common leisure traveler. This is not a BA issue (plenty of other airlines have these configs on A320s), but a mentality issue of travelers onboard. The mentality of "let me not go to the baggage reclaim area and stuff everything in my carryon" have caused this problem- and the majority of people with this mentality are FFs.

In the traditional boarding scheme it has always been that the bog standard ET pax that board last get their bag checked in due to a lack of space. This has only come to light on this board because BA is actively inflicting this on people in the first few rows and that these tend to be FFs. Like I said earlier- this has been something non-elite ET flyers have been dealing with for ages. I'm not arguing that this is not how it should be, but just pointing out the fact that this is not a new problem. I also want to emphesise that I cannot blame the ground staff much at BA. I personally have never seen anyone been allowed to board with three items. I just really hope that everyone would listen to the GA or CC in the event that their bag has to be put into the hold instead of the quite customary response of "of I'll be sure to find a place somewhere in the aircraft later". IMHO it are these people- the people that refuse to proceed with the fluid boarding process- that delay flights.

But I do agree with your sentiments- as a FF. I personally, and perhaps from my experience, just don't mind checking in a bag to save me the hassle of security/the worry of it being put in the hold. There are of course times where I take my full allowance, but only if I absolutely have to.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
On my LHR-NCL service this evening I checked every person who boarded after me to see whether I thought they were breaking the hand luggage restrictions.

I counted 132 passengers I could see clearly, there were a few more passengers than that, but either they boarded before me or I didn't get a clear view due to bunching by other family members.

Of that 132, I saw 7 passengers with 3 bags or more. Only 2 looked like they were well over the limit: one of these 2 passengers had 5 bags! Another had what looked like an oversized cabin bag, a large "personal bag", plus a plastic bag of shopping.

The other 5 were technical breaches (e.g. a plastic bag of duty free, when their other bags weren't so big); One was a MF off duty crew member - hat bag, standard BA handbag and a medium holdall - I suspect in volumetric terms she was taking less space than my single bag, the MF hat bag is not big.

Five passengers had no bags at all.

Most passengers only had 1 bag.

The service wasn't completely full so no extra bags needed to go into the hold, but some of the front passengers were unhappy their bags went further back than they would like.

So my take on that single sample is that on the whole it's not really baggage breaches at issue here, the 2 worst offenders weren't a big factor here. 125 of 132 passengers were fully within the rules.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Mar 24, 2015 at 1:52 am Reason: typo/maths
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
On my LHR-NCL service this evening I checked every person who boarded after me to see whether I thought they were breaking the hand luggage restrictions.

I counted 132 passengers I could see clearly, there were a few more passengers than that, but either they boarded before me or I didn't get a clear view due to bunching by other family members.

Of that 132, I saw 7 passengers with 3 bags or more. Only 2 looked like they were well over the limit: one of these 2 passengers had 5 bags! Another had what looked like an oversized cabin bag, a large "personal bag", plus a plastic bag of shopping.

The other 5 were technical breaches (e.g. a plastic bag of duty free, when their other bags weren't so big); One was a MF off duty crew member - hat bag, standard BA handbag and a medium holdall - I suspect in volumetric terms she was taking less space than my single bag, the MF hat bag is not big.

Five passengers had no bags at all.

Most passengers only had 1 bag.

The service wasn't completely full so no extra bags needed to go into the hold, but some of the front passengers were unhappy their bags went further back than they would like.

So my take on that single sample is that on the whole it's not really baggage breaches at issue here, the 2 worst offenders weren't a big factor here. 128 of 132 passengers were fully within the rules.
This is quite interesting. Firstly- shame on the GAs for not catching these people out. It is probably true that BA need to reaffirm this to their gate staff.

A few points though:
-Airline staff, in uniform, are not subject to the two piece rule whether deadheading or commuting
-Now, in the USA, where the FAA is the regulator, it is against FAA policy to allow pax onboard with more than two pieces of luggage. If an FAA inspector were to catch a staff member allowing more than two items onboard, he/she would be reported and the airline fined. I do not personally know the CAA regulations regarding this, but this to me is a big no no and I'm surprised it was that frequent. I gather from this that the CAA does not regulate how many bags go onboard (which in itself would be quite concerning from a load/balance point of view- either that or BA are just flaunting the laws).

I'm on a mission now to find the CAA policy about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.