Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best lounge at JNB

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

best lounge at JNB

I've tried searching but to no avail and this should arguably be in the QR forum, but here goes.

I'm flying on QR out of JNB this evening. Seems that I have a choice of lounge access:

Mashonza Lounge - Menzies - flying on QR will get me in here.
Shongololo Lounge - Menzies - ditto
GF and GC - I'm BA Gold

My first time flying out of JNB so would any of you with more experience of this have recommendations please? I'm not hugely interested in booze this evening as I want a decent kip on the plane but I'd like some decent food if possible.

Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'd probably go with the Shongolo lounge which has some adequate food options, including some which you can microwave yourself, if memory is correct. The BA lounges (J, F) both have very limited food options - when I was hungry I'd go to the canteen type thing downstairs which is going to be preferable to any of the lounges.

I'm not familiar with the Mashonza lounge, but I remember it being the weakest of the three - someone will come correct me if I'm wrong on that one.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Great. Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:31 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B466 Safari/600.1.4)

Seconded on shongololo being the best of a not great bunch - slow is really the best but they are strict at allowing only regional (comair) BA access
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
The SLOW lounge is probably the best lounge at JNB but I don't think you will have access ... you could always try though.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: BA GGL
The BA lounge is pretty poor, to be honest, but I guess it depends when you're leaving. It's a popular business route, so the F lounge is always full of GCH, which, with an A380 to fill, is rather a lot. To make things worse, it's also used by Quantas so it can be very difficult to even find a seat, even in GC, before the hordes leave for the early flight. If you go in later, after the BA56 has departed, it's not too bad. The food is okay, but it's not the most pleasant environment to eat it in. In saying that, it's a lot nicer than wandering around the airport and they do have a reasonable selection of drinks.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: BA GFL GGL/CCR, VS Lifetime Gold
For info QR has changed lounges. I flew Tuesday to doh and was redirected to the bidvest lounge even though the website has not been updated.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Yep just discovered that. Heading there now. I've been put off gf :-)

Thanks all.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:05 am
Original Poster

So, in case anyone's interested, I went to the Bidvest lounge and it was quite unremarkable. The wifi didn't work, which was also true for the SAA lounge at Durban where I used the SLOW* wifi as I knew the password.
There was a small selection of food which didn't look appealing at all. From memory, a potato curry was the only hot option. There was a cheese board which had some blue cheese and sticks of bright orange, cheddar-like substance which were individually sealed and had the shine of cheese that had been sitting around at room temperature for many hours.
However, there were well-stocked drinks fridges including a fairly large range of beers and soft drinks. There seemed to be a decent selection of spirits but I rarely drink those before flying, especially long-haul.

Not the greatest review, I know, and I didn't stay long. I don't recommend people set aside time to be there.

*For those who don't know that's the stupid name for the lounge. The wifi wasn't that slow.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...t-lounges.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.