BA 001/2/3/4 Cancellations

Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Alitalia STE+
BA 001/2/3/4 Cancellations

Hello!

I was very happily booked on BA 1 on 31st December later this year. Looking forward to NYE in NYC.

BA have annoyingly informed me now that the flight is cancelled and have put me on 747 tin out of LHR. :-(

Looking at the schedules it seems all the A318 flights to JFK out of LCY have been scrubbed over that weekend?!

Is this common for BA not to run those flights over the Christmas/NYE period? I know it's a slow time for J pax but surely cancelling all of them is a bit much?

Does anybody have any knowledge of why BA cancelled these or if they're likely to re-instate?

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes. Usually BA1-4 do not run over Christmas & New Year at all. If you book BA1-4 between 25 December and 2 January I would have expected them to be cancelled at some point. They are very unlikely to reinstate BA1 on your date.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
If you booked through BA you will be able to apply for original routeing credit at least.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:25 am

Seems that the last day they run is Friday 18 December, so on that day BA1 runs to JFK, and BA2 back. Next time the restart is Sunday 3 January.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: ba, virgin, ua, hilton, spg
Ihope that your replacement fight is in CW. I was booked in F to YVR (with Avios). The flight was cancelled 8 months ahead of departure, and I was moved to another YVR flight in WT(!)
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
It seems odd to let people book onto these flights if the standard practice year on year is not to run these flights over this period?

Presumably at the point the flights are put into the system, there must be at least a reasonable intention to operate them.

The B747 is fine provided you can get on the upper deck. At least you weren't swapped for another aircraft where the J cabins are a world away from the A318 of B747 upper deck.

Will they put you on one of AA's 77W flights to JFK? That's the next best thing if your A318 is cancelled.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by where2travel
It seems odd to let people book onto these flights if the standard practice year on year is not to run these flights over this period?

Presumably at the point the flights are put into the system, there must be at least a reasonable intention to operate them.

The B747 is fine provided you can get on the upper deck. At least you weren't swapped for another aircraft where the J cabins are a world away from the A318 of B747 upper deck.
In fairness, BA would be open to you suggesting a Jumbo service if the auto-rebooker had put you on a 777/787, subject to connection times being obeyed.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Indeed, me and KARFA have been cancelled on Still we got 64J/K (at my insistence)
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Jamier45
Indeed, me and KARFA have been cancelled on Still we got 64J/K (at my insistence)
Yes, it was a deliberate strategy. I always knew our BA1 flight on 28 December would be cancelled. Basically we should retain the 210 TPs for the originaly booked flight, now get to use the CCR in the morning, and fly on a 747 UD.

If we had booked LHR to start with we would have only got 140 TPs.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bowlingformatt

Is this common for BA not to run those flights over the Christmas/NYE period? I know it's a slow time for J pax but surely cancelling all of them is a bit much?
It is an annual complaint for the past four years at least. At least there is about 9 months notice this time around. It used to be a lot less. I suspect it is a service scheduling issue. They cannot cancel the flights until servicing has been booked and scheduled.

Been affected myself on a BA2 return flight on Jan 2 once.

No extra TPs anymore so any complaints will be about US immigration pre-clearance
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your responses. All very useful. Will definitely be opting for AA 777-300ER with change option. I take it that I can't use the change option to change other sectors?

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, it was a deliberate strategy. I always knew our BA1 flight on 28 December would be cancelled. Basically we should retain the 210 TPs for the originaly booked flight, now get to use the CCR in the morning, and fly on a 747 UD.

If we had booked LHR to start with we would have only got 140 TPs.
Are you sure? MMB with the new flights shows less TP. Will they actually honor the 210 TP? Has this been seen or done by anybody else?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by bowlingformatt
Are you sure? MMB with the new flights shows less TP. Will they actually honor the 210 TP? Has this been seen or done by anybody else?
Yes. MMB won't show 210 TP for your rebooked exLHR flight, it will only show 140 TP. Basically they add a note to your booking and have to do it all manually after the flight. I have already had one CWLCY flight cancelled later this year and had this noted on my booking. I have yet to speal to BA about my now cancelled BA1 on 28 December, but I have no reason to believe that the same wouldn't be offered.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
now get to use the CCR in the morning, and fly on a 747 UD.
I take it you got access to CCR because you're GGL? Not because you were booked on BA 1 originally though?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by Jamier45
Until the seat shifters get you ?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
Until the seat shifters get you ?
Doubt it, I think you will find the instances of upgrades to F outweigh seat shifting from 64J/K. Not even sure why you would be seat shifted from those unless for a broken seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.