FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Wedding attire on flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1662667-wedding-attire-flights.html)

SEW247 Mar 12, 2015 11:12 am

Wedding attire on flights

Quick one: The soon to be Mrs and I are heading to AMS tomorrow and back via LHR to YYC on our half price CW return for our wedding next week. The question I have is how accommodating are BA with her carrying her wedding dress and me my wedding DJ in suit carriers?

Presumably this won't be an issue as we are flying CE and CW. My only concern is our hand luggage as well. I'm thinking I'll play it safe with a carry on bag and suit holder and the Mrs will do the same and put her handbag in her carry on.

Does anyone have any experience of these type of situations? Are the security PPP going to get all funny about coat hangars!?

CocoPops Mar 12, 2015 11:17 am

We carried Wedding dress in full carrier from LGW to PFO, without issue.

They were most complimentary about it.

crazy8534 Mar 12, 2015 11:42 am

You will both be asked to wear them as the carriers cannot be accommodated in the overheads.
To save the embarrassment of having to change on the plane you should simply arrive at the gate ready to go. :D

(You'll be fine! ;))

Foltan Mar 12, 2015 11:50 am

I've taken a suit in a suit-bag with hangers etc before, certainly wasn't a problem with security.

SCSA Mar 12, 2015 11:57 am

Originally Posted by SEW247 (Post 24496440)
Quick one: The soon to be Mrs and I are heading to AMS tomorrow and back via LHR to YYC on our half price CW return for our wedding next week. The question I have is how accommodating are BA with her carrying her wedding dress and me my wedding DJ in suit carriers?

Presumably this won't be an issue as we are flying CE and CW. My only concern is our hand luggage as well. I'm thinking I'll play it safe with a carry on bag and suit holder and the Mrs will do the same and put her handbag in her carry on.

Does anyone have any experience of these type of situations? Are the security PPP going to get all funny about coat hangars!?

LOL...I thought you were going to board the plane kitted up for the ceremony so you could go straight to the church. Would the top hat fit in the overhead locker on a Cityflyer plane?

jerry a. laska Mar 12, 2015 12:29 pm

The official line from britishairways.com:

Question
Can I take my wedding dress as part of my hand baggage?

Answer

Yes, if the bag/box with your wedding dress inside it fits within our maximum permitted dimensions/allowance for your personal hand baggage:

Once on board the aircraft our cabin crew may be able assist in hanging your wedding dress up, but we cannot guarantee this as the flight you are travelling on could be very busy or the wardrobe space may be very limited. Therefore, please pack your dress preparing for it to remain in its bag/box for the whole flight duration.

We apologise for any disappointment this may cause you.

If you are unable to fit the dress into a bag that you are taking as hand luggage, please pack it in a sturdy box or suitcase and check it in as part of your checked baggage allowance.

If you need any further assistance regarding packing your dress for travel or to understand your personal baggage allowance, please don't hesitate to contact us. However, we are unable to provide personal exceptions to the above policy.
Also see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...age-767-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...travel-ba.html

SEW247 Mar 12, 2015 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska (Post 24496861)

Ok thanks everyone. I think we should be okay as long as we beat all those pesky BCH and SCH and board first ;-)

Manx Flyer Mar 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Disappointed....

... I thought this was going to be another how to dress in First thread. Suits are one thing, but I am not wearing a DJ on board! :p

Congratulations and best wishes for the big day.

Cheers

Manx Flyer

Saltire74 Mar 12, 2015 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by crazy8534 (Post 24496612)
You will both be asked to wear them as the carriers cannot be accommodated in the overheads.
To save the embarrassment of having to change on the plane you should simply arrive at the gate ready to go. :D

(You'll be fine! ;))

Reminds me once of a flight I took CAI-DOH on QR. A wedding party (think Arab weddings) boarded the flight (into Y might I add), all fully kitted out in their wedding attire. The bride didn't have much wiggle room in her wedding gown but it was a bit funny to witness :D:D.

Best wishes SEW247

Safe & Happy Travels

S

chucko Mar 12, 2015 11:39 pm

Why not *wear* the gear aboard, and have the CSD perform the ceremony en route?

Non-NonRev Mar 13, 2015 12:05 am

Originally Posted by chucko (Post 24499565)
Why not *wear* the gear aboard, and have the CSD perform the ceremony en route?

Even better, register with the Highlife Duty-free - well-wishers can pre-order and have the gifts delivered on-board by cabin crew! :)

PIKnic Mar 13, 2015 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev (Post 24499605)
Even better, register with the Highlife Duty-free - well-wishers can pre-order and have the gifts delivered on-board by cabin crew! :)

:D^

windowontheAside Mar 13, 2015 2:29 am

So that reply from BA basically says you can take a wedding dress as long as it fits in your standard carry on bag. But if you're lucky they might be able to hang it up for you.

I guess in practice they're a little more accommodating. Depends on the style of dress of course but I think a lot wouldn't do well being stuffed into a standard cabin sized roller.

Cradders Mar 13, 2015 3:02 am

One consideration (and please correct me if I'm wrong here) would be if it's a refurb cabin wouldn't it? I was under the impression they'd removed the wardrobes which would mean it would have to fit overhead?

gustavmahler Mar 13, 2015 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Manx Flyer (Post 24497252)
... I thought this was going to be another how to dress in First thread. Suits are one thing, but I am not wearing a DJ on board!

Surely white jackets, depending on the time of day...

Congratulations to the OP!