Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onward Bags on BA1

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA
I also think there is a transfer bag drop in T7 which would avoid you having to take your bags to T8 - although I have always prefered to manually transfer the bags to T8 myself when connecting.
There is, I even did it overnight (well, 9pm drop for a 6am T8 flight). You come through customs and turn right and leave your bag there. Mine was tagged all the way to HNL via PHX and was first on the belt in HNL.

I have no idea how frequently the bags are taken to T8. And it felt a bit weird, I just left mine on a shelf behind the desk. But it did make it all the way!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I did this too on a recent SXM to OGG trip. Your bag is checked through but as you say you need to collect it at your US entry airport (unless your flight is pre-cleared) and then simply drop it after clearing customs at the connecting luggage desk (no new labels are added at this point). It is simply just dropped on the departing bag belt.
Originally Posted by Banana4321
I have (a long long time ago) checked bags through. But it means exactly that. The bag is checked through however you have to collect from the baggage reclaim, clear customs, then drop the bag into a hole on the other side. This was at Gander where there was a clearly signed process. Not happenstanced against one since to the best of my recollection.
Yes this is normal behaviour. I appreciate that "through check" is being used to mean two different things.

What is suggested here is that someone was able to bypass the "collect, clear and redrop" phase—they never presented their bag at a US Customs inspection point.

With a couple of narrow exceptions I don't think that can happen.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes this is normal behaviour. I appreciate that "through check" is being used to mean two different things.

What is suggested here is that someone was able to bypass the "collect, clear and redrop" phase—they never presented their bag at a US Customs inspection point.

With a couple of narrow exceptions I don't think that can happen.
But surely the subject of this thread (BA1) is one of those narrow exceptions?

'Presenting' of your bag is done in Shannon - bags are unloaded and you are asked to confirm ownership of your bag from a video still at the immigration check. Bags then reloaded, and as you arrive domestic, they can be checked through without intervention as any other US domestic flight.
At least that's my limited experience of one trip on BA1 with a checked bag.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Friederich
But surely the subject of this thread (BA1) is one of those narrow exceptions?

'Presenting' of your bag is done in Shannon - bags are unloaded and you are asked to confirm ownership of your bag from a video still at the immigration check. Bags then reloaded, and as you arrive domestic, they can be checked through without intervention as any other US domestic flight.
At least that's my limited experience of one trip on BA1 with a checked bag.
Yes it is—those two posts were discussing other journeys.

On BA 1 (or arriving from AUH or Canada or BDA or whatever) you have simply done the customs part at the beginning.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
Last time there was just something rather unsettling about seeing my bag going round and round all on it's own.
That can apparently be avoided if you speak to the ground staff upon arrival at the gate in JFK, if you mention there is some connecting baggage: they can head it off before the carousel and send it over to T8.

Otherwise as you say they tend to put it on the carousel, if they are snappy - which they often are - then you have the disconcerting experience of coming down the escalator, about to walk out past the carousel and there is your bag going around and around. After a while it is collected and sent to the appropriate place, but I can see in this scenario you may as well collect it yourself.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL
My experience 3 weeks ago was that I cleared customs in Shannon. Bag was disgorged onto baggage reclaim belt at T7 in JFK. I watched it go round a few times looking forlorn. I wasn't confident anyone was going to take any notice of it so I took it over to T8 myself. It was sporting the sticky strip showing it was checked through to LGB which was my final destination. Eventually at T8 it got on a belt with lots of other bags and was eventually first out at LGB.

The bit of the process I am bothered about is the bags getting from baggage reclaim onto the next flight if I don't give them some help. I had a look around for a baggage transfer desk but didn't find one. Not having come through Customs at JFK I might have just been in the wrong part of the terminal. I don't like the idea of walking off and leaving the bags going round and round on their own. I'd be really worried I would never see them again.

Anyone know where I would find the baggage transfer desk as posssible alternative to lugging bags over to T8?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Last edited by Calchas; Jul 15, 2015 at 3:31 pm Reason: redundant
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL
After slowly typing my previous post I saw what c-w-s said. I might give that a go (and then check bags are not on carousel because although I'm not paranoid....)

and what Calchas said. I'm just not quick enough.

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
To conclude this - my DUB-LCY-JFK-ORD-DFW flights 23 July went as planned with bags checked thru to DFW and no physical intervention on my part until collection in DFW.

LCY-JFK was on BA1
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Originally Posted by PWOZUK
To conclude this - my DUB-LCY-JFK-ORD-DFW flights 23 July went as planned with bags checked thru to DFW and no physical intervention on my part until collection in DFW.

LCY-JFK was on BA1
Did you have much of a layover at JFK?. I'm hopefully connecting at JFK in October from BA1 to BOS flight at 15:50 currently expecting to take luggage.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Originally Posted by MHendo84
Did you have much of a layover at JFK?. I'm hopefully connecting at JFK in October from BA1 to BOS flight at 15:50 currently expecting to take luggage.
I was on a 17:05 service JFK-ORD. The transfer from T7 to T8 is easy, follow the signs to AirTrain. My onward ticket was in F on the AA domestic, so I could use the First Class/Priority checkin desk to get my BP for the US sectors, as no BP for those was available in DUB. The biggest unknown is security at JFK. On this occassion I was given TSA Precheck, but not sure why, I am not registered. I just seem to get it on some US flights and not others (No TSA PRE on my return from DFW for example).

Our BA1 arrival was on schedule (13:55), the AA flights started boarding promptly 30minutes before scheduled departure. So long as your connection is on the same PNR you should be fine, and protected by AA if BA1 is delayed.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:54 am

Thanks for that, AA seemed to have no issue moving us the the JFK-BOS service at 15:50, so technically under the 2hr MCT I thought was in effect. But yes all on 1 ticket.

If we take luggage then will get it checked through to BOS and will make sure I don't need to recheck at JFK.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Onward Bags on BA1

I flew on the BA1, connecting to BOS last week and had a case checked in. Staff at LCY assured me that it would be transferred automatically to my BOS flight. However, after reading this thread, I asked the BA agent at baggage reclaim and she told me that BA have never done that and that all connecting passengers must collect their bags and taken them to the T7 transfer desk! Now clearly that's not correct given the evidence earlier in this thread but I wasn't taking any chances and collected it myself! It would be good if the advice was at least consistent from BA...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Airlineanorak
I flew on the BA1, connecting to BOS last week and had a case checked in. Staff at LCY assured me that it would be transferred automatically to my BOS flight. However, after reading this thread, I asked the BA agent at baggage reclaim and she told me that BA have never done that and that all connecting passengers must collect their bags and taken them to the T7 transfer desk! Now clearly that's not correct given the evidence earlier in this thread but I wasn't taking any chances and collected it myself! It would be good if the advice was at least consistent from BA...
Did you wait long for your bag?

It would be nice to have consistent information. I thought I had read from someone on here previously that special services met the aircraft?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Airlineanorak
My family and I flew through from LCY on BA1 to LAX and bags were checked through and with a 3hr stop in JFK our bags were in LAX and some of the first off with their priority tags visible. Check in staff at LCY advised us that there were no problems having them sent all the way which was our experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.