Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 and no lounge access. How will I cope?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3
T5 and no lounge access. How will I cope?

For the first time in more years than I can remember I have dropped to a level where I have no lounge access! BRONZE! One week ago.

Since the good old days of BMI, until now with BA, I have been lucky enough to have either attained a level to 'lounge' with DC, EC or had the backup of Priority Pass.
I remember those days of the two levels in LHR Domestic T1 lounge. It seems like yesterday.

T5 must be one of the few terminals with no third party lounges and my partner (who is clinging on to Sliver) isn't travelling with me on the BHD-LHR-ARN return trip in a few day's time.
It going to be a weird experience.

I hope that I will cope!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:34 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Time to update your FT profile then..
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's not so bad really.

Have a drink, a nice(er) bite to eat and relax.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
In the us i have given up going into the lounges except to visit the usually cleaner cans and get wifi to send a quick msg home. I then exit and go find a nice bar and enjoy food and drink i actually want, esp miami and hoegaarden....if i stopped hot footing it to lhr lounges i expect i would be quite happy doing the same (although i tend to be at lhr at 7am for tatl flights...). Even gla i dont go to the lounge now i know the pub up the ramp has hoegaarden and square sausage, and the newsagents has chicken and stuffing sarnies at lunch. Who needs a lounge except for irrops and loos?!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:25 am

Plane Food
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have lounge access but I sometimes don't bother with the lounge. It's actually a decent terminal. I sometimes stay landside and eat at Carluccio's, or go to Plane Food, or just do some shopping.

If you look on Heathrow Airport website you'll find a lot of things to do.

The whole airport also has free WiFi coverage. It used to be faster than BA lounge ones although that's not the case any more.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
T5 airside is ridiculously hectic (certainly in the mornings at least). I, too, no longer have lounge access. I try and find a quiet place to sit and watch the world go by before my gate is called. The best place I've found is below the North Galleries lounge - come down the escalators and do a U-turn towards your right, past the shoe-polisher. The seating area there is less hectic.

Many of the places to eat are heaving most of the time. I don't like hustle and bustle so try to seek out a quiet spot.

At the South end there's also some quieter seating areas (before the escalators going up to the South Lounge) - but if I remember correctly from last Monday there seems to be a lot of refurbishment going on down the South side.

Of course, if you like the hustle and bustle then you're not short of restaurants and shops to visit!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The whole airport also has free WiFi coverage.
Isn't it time limited though? I thought you had to pay after a while.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
^ Yes, it's time limited, 2 or 4 hours - can't remember exactly how long but it's a reasonable amount of time.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
lounge access is nice-----particularly if you are there quite early----but for a shorter time I never found it a big deal really--though im not sure id ever want to spend 2+ hours at T5 without lounge access

i have always used LCY a fair bit (no lounge as we all know) and again never found it an issue---a quick snifter at the bar--all good

added-----third party lounge at T5----it will happen its just a case of when
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Wi-fi limited to 4 hours, 8 if you're a (free) Heathrow Rewards member.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
It's now 4 hrs free wifi, up to 8 if you are a heathrow rewards member
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:16 am

Used the T5 Galleries lounges last month, both of them, what a disappointment! Small choice of food. Atmosphere not very nice.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by golfmad
Isn't it time limited though? I thought you had to pay after a while.
As mentioned by others already, 4 hours for non-Heathrow Rewards members. If you sign up for Heathrow Rewards (free of charge), it's 8 hours free of charge. It's pretty painfully slow though, and there is faster one available for payment.

8 hours is definitely well past the amount of time I wish to spend anywhere (inc the CCR) at LHR or any other airport for that matter.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by Mightymouse
Used the T5 Galleries lounges last month, both of them, what a disappointment! Small choice of food. Atmosphere not very nice.
lounges elsewhere are definitely a better experience

the sheer volume of people using T5 is the cause of it not being what you maybe expected

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.