Search

CWLCY LCY Arrivals

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:57 am
formerly bdohmen
Original Poster

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
CWLCY LCY Arrivals

Came in on BA4 today which arrived at noon. Zero chance of making my 1100 connection to AMS so I headed to the arrivals lounge at the radisson for a shower. They seemed a bit overwhelmed by the late arrival of the flight but has us quickly sorted.

My question is when I needed to get back to LCY for my connection the concierge arranged a car but at LCY the driver asked me to pay. Is this normal?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:58 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by bdohmen
Came in on BA4 today which arrived at noon. Zero chance of making my 1100 connection to AMS so I headed to the arrivals lounge at the radisson for a shower. They seemed a bit overwhelmed by the late arrival of the flight but has us quickly sorted.

My question is when I needed to get back to LCY for my connection the concierge arranged a car but at LCY the driver asked me to pay. Is this normal?
yes. It is an arrivals service only, so they take you one-way to the hotel.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC CCR, BAEC Lifetime GGL, Hilton Hhonors Lifetime Diamond
Yes, rxfleming is correct. I arrived on BA2 last Tuesday and was connecting to DUB. I would have had just about enough time to go for a shower and rapid return to LCY for my connecting flight but would have had to pay for transport from the Radisson back to the airport. I decided, especially since my time was limited, to have some breakfast in the departure lounge.

Since that flight, reinforced by the TP earnings change on this service from April, I will use BA1 westbound but opt to return via LHR for some facilities in CCR when in transit back to DUB. I find the lack of showers / lounge @ LCY coming eastbound on BA2 a real disincentive to using the airport as a connecting facility in transit to an onward flight.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bdohmen

I often pay to get to the Radisson too since I have found the transport arrangements at LCY to be shambolic. If you just jump in a cab you can avoid any possibility of queuing and perhaps even have time for breakfast.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:22 am
formerly bdohmen
Original Poster

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
CWLCY LCY Arrivals

Thanks for the info. I wanted to do it once to try it but given I am connecting to the continent for almost all of my flights I'll stick with Heathrow. The TPs were helpful though!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Normal indeed. I should add that I have personally stopped asking the Radisson concierge to make arrangements for my onwards transportation as I find the choices and rates they get uncompetitive (although specifically back to LCY is not too bad). I just book my own minicab and save the difference.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
If the BA004 arrives too late for breakfast at the Radisson, will they offer something else in lieu?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by docgasman
Yes, rxfleming is correct. I arrived on BA2 last Tuesday and was connecting to DUB. I would have had just about enough time to go for a shower and rapid return to LCY for my connecting flight but would have had to pay for transport from the Radisson back to the airport. I decided, especially since my time was limited, to have some breakfast in the departure lounge.

Since that flight, reinforced by the TP earnings change on this service from April, I will use BA1 westbound but opt to return via LHR for some facilities in CCR when in transit back to DUB. I find the lack of showers / lounge @ LCY coming eastbound on BA2 a real disincentive to using the airport as a connecting facility in transit to an onward flight.
Wait. You or your comany can afford the £2k+ ticket cost but draw the line at a £10 cab fare. I don't get this board sometimes.

Genius1, they tend not to give you something substantial but they've always tried when I come off the 4. I tend just to grab a coffee at that time as getting to the office then starts touching 11:30-12.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL
£2k+ fare!? Sounds like you need to visit the ex-EU thread
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I often pay to get to the Radisson too since I have found the transport arrangements at LCY to be shambolic. If you just jump in a cab you can avoid any possibility of queuing and perhaps even have time for breakfast.
I threw a strop in New York last week as I was fed up arriving in London with hand baggage and having to wait for people collecting bags to go to the Radisson. There was a car waiting for me in Arrivals and I was in the shower within 15 minutes of landing 😊
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
£2k+ fare!? Sounds like you need to visit the ex-EU thread
Yeah, one night in NY doesn't usually help qualify for the €1.2k tickets ex -EU.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 pm

All depends which night ...and I do know that docgasman was there for the whole weekend as we ended up on the same flights out and back, as my hangover kept reminding me on Tuesday!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Normal indeed. I should add that I have personally stopped asking the Radisson concierge to make arrangements for my onwards transportation as I find the choices and rates they get uncompetitive (although specifically back to LCY is not too bad). I just book my own minicab and save the difference.
slightly OT but I have stopped arranging any car/taxi etc through a hotel/concierge because of the cost

commission for the hotel and back hander to the concierge definitely ups the price

I have a friend who is a concierge in an Edinburgh hotel who doubles his weekly wage with the help of little brown envelopes from private hire and tour companies etc (he dines at a Michelin star restaurant about once every two months and never gets a bill)
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The Radisson is about 500 metres from Blackwall DLR, so it is just a few minutes walk from the hotel.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
hmm, when arriving on BA2, I was driven to the Radisson in a car on my own. I had no idea it was normally a group transport arrangement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.