Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:16 am
    Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
    Originally Posted by sts603
    How so?
    CWS vs. post #1177, or am I missing something?
    Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
    CWS vs. post #1177, or am I missing something?
    See #1180. I still think its too early to tell though.
    Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:40 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by aks120
    However I am pleased to report that this morning I find myself in 2A both ways - happy with that! Thanks CWS - seems BA have figured out a way to implement the change but not disadvantage loyal fliers - it certainly works for Gold, let's see what happens with other cards after a few days!
    As you can see I'm in 2A too, I hope seat sharing isn't BA's latest wheeze. And given my figure, you should hope even more so!

But more seriously, I am fairly certain I checked MMB - and got the screen shot - a good 20 minutes or so after booking. I know from past and unrelated experiences that BA.com takes a few minutes to get all booking details set up correctly, so I know not to look straight off. So what I'm hoping is that actually we are both seeing the new SOP - which I also agree falls into "not actually sooooo bad" category - but your MMB just took a while to refresh.
    Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:03 pm

When do these allocated seats appear in MMB? I booked a Domestic this morning and nothing yet...
    Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:50 pm
    Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
    Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    As you can see I'm in 2A too, I hope seat sharing isn't BA's latest wheeze.
    Ha maybe that is the kicker - BA make everyone feels special by giving them 2A and then it is a scrum on board!

I don't mind the change if this is the norm - I can live with it anyway although I have no idea why they did not put this in their blurb as it would have stopped a lot of gnashing of teeth!

Now all I need is my miles back in order to spend them prior to devaluation and all will be good!

aks120
    Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:52 pm
    Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
    Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
    Originally Posted by MSN095
    When do these allocated seats appear in MMB? I booked a Domestic this morning and nothing yet...
    Mine were allocated overnight - they were not there about an hour or so after booking but we're there in the morning. CWS had his seat in about 20 mins.

Do you mind if I ask what BAEC card you have - it may be a Gold/CCR perk as that is what our sample consists of! I would be interested to hear from Silver, Bronze or Blue.

aks120
    Old Mar 28, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
    24B - Unlucky me

SCH Booked an HBO - We were allocated 24A&B on an outbound 20E&F on an inbound domestic.

Interestingly, when I saw the seat map, where you could pay £7 to change the seat, nearly all rows were available from row 3 onwards.
    Old Mar 28, 2015, 2:53 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by xvirginx
    SCH Booked an HBO - We were allocated 24A&B on an outbound 20E&F on an inbound domestic.
    Interesting. So it appears - from this very limited sample - that the HBO change is - at least for Gold and above cardholders - not so bad, you get a allocated forward seat in line with your preferences. For Silver at least you get an allocated seat however it is perhaps towards the back rather than in the traditional Silver front areas. If you really don't like the seat you can either upgrade the seat for the fee or if within 24 hours cancel and rebook as non HBO.

As aks120 has mentioned, had this been mentioned in the first BA communication then I doubt I would have complained about it, there again the first communication seems to be simply wrong. Unless, after the fuss made, this was the compromise they internally fixed? My own suggestion, in my complaint to BA, suggested that at OLCI we could select a seat as normal, so in a way this outcome is an improvement on that, but I'm not sure it helps the HBO storage issue.

We could do with some Bronze, Blue and non status experiences.
    Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by aks120
    Do you mind if I ask what BAEC card you have - it may be a Gold/CCR perk as that is what our sample consists of! I would be interested to hear from Silver, Bronze or Blue.

aks120
    I'm a Gold card holder. Booked these 21 hours ago. Nothing has appeared overnight. MMB gives me the option to select and pay for seats but no mention of an allocated seat.

UPDATE: Still nothing allocated 30 hours after booking

Last edited by MSN095; Mar 28, 2015 at 11:30 am Reason: Update
    Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:35 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    As aks120 has mentioned, had this been mentioned in the first BA communication then I doubt I would have complained about it, there again the first communication seems to be simply wrong. Unless, after the fuss made, this was the compromise they internally fixed? My own suggestion, in my complaint to BA, suggested that at OLCI we could select a seat as normal, so in a way this outcome is an improvement on that, but I'm not sure it helps the HBO storage issue.
    Actually, to me, as GGL, if BA try to give me a good seat because their intention is in fact not to penalise me, I would find their measure even more stupid. Why take out a privilege from us and worse our travel experience if it is not the intention to be penalising in the first place? That just sounds completely idiotic!

If they wanted GCH/GGLs to be "protected" from the change, then why not do it in the first place? It is perfectly possible for an IT system to differentiate between people by status and exempt some from the impossibility to choose seats, even AF, which arguably has the worst IT system of any airline I know, manage it.

Regularly, my SO (GCH) and I end up travelling together on the same flight but booked separately, either because she has a different full itinerary or because we managed to coordinate our itineraries at different points in time.

We both tend to travel HBO and so will be inconvenienced even if the relatively optimistic scenario that you have experienced is kept, but if the intention is not to actually "punish us" for travelling HBO, then I find the result even more absurd.

By the way, I could by the way think of many alternatives to it being a policy, including randomness or even BA trying to be "gentle" with GCH/GGLs/CCRs at first by originally giving them good seats for a few months so as to keep them onboard (quite literally) before letting the situation further deteriorate in line with the original plan. This would be consistent with the "drop by drop" poisoning strategy that BA has adopted in the past few months to date.
    Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
    I've just booked my first return HBO fare under the new rules. No seating has been assigned just yet.

Clicking on the seating info button, there's this:

Hand baggage only economy fares
    If you don't pay to choose your seats in advance, we will allocate your seat at check-in, from 24 hours before your flight departs. You can pay to change your allocated seat.
    Executive Club and oneworld equivalent members cannot choose seats for free with this fare.
    Having just booked I'm currently being told that I can buy seating for £10 - will give it a day or two to see what happens.
    Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Angry

Silver card holder here. I've just booked my first HBO after the new rules, GLA-LCY. Booked yesterday for travel tomorrow (the short notice tends to be normal for my travel patterns).

Have been allocated 4B out and 4C return, which is in line with my aisle preference, and is fairly near the front.

However, the seat allocation system seems to just fill the bus up from the front. The rear half, row 13 onwards, is pretty much empty. So in this case I'd much rather grab a seat down the back (given that at LCY I can disembark from the rear).

For this I have to pay an extra £7 on a fare that was already £450??!!

This is just ridiculous. EasyJet, Ryanair and FlyBe (esp with Avios on the latter) are looking much more appealing now...
    Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:34 am

Having just booked I'm currently being told that I can buy seating for £10 - will give it a day or two to see what happens.
    24 hours later this message is still shown - it does not look like I'll get a seat before check-in at the moment. Odd how that contrasts with CWS's experience. I'll keep checking...
    Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Twoflower
    Silver card holder here. I've just booked my first HBO after the new rules, GLA-LCY. Booked yesterday for travel tomorrow (the short notice tends to be normal for my travel patterns).

Have been allocated 4B out and 4C return, which is in line with my aisle preference, and is fairly near the front.

However, the seat allocation system seems to just fill the bus up from the front. The rear half, row 13 onwards, is pretty much empty. So in this case I'd much rather grab a seat down the back (given that at LCY I can disembark from the rear).

For this I have to pay an extra £7 on a fare that was already £450??!!

This is just ridiculous. EasyJet, Ryanair and FlyBe (esp with Avios on the latter) are looking much more appealing now...
    Surely EasyJet, Ryanair and Flybe would have looked far more appealing than the £450 you shelled out in the first place. Or was it that they just didn't fly at the right time to the right airport?
    Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:12 am

24 hours later this message is still shown - it does not look like I'll get a seat before check-in at the moment. Odd how that contrasts with CWS's experience. I'll keep checking...
    Well I note that aks120, xvirginx, Twoflower and I all have domestic sectors, funnily enough involving LHR, LGW and LCY, but I wonder if that makes the difference perhaps? Assuming your sector involves the European mainland, given the £10 charge. I must admit I shoved all my upcoming European ET sectors through the system before the changeover rather than risk 25B, just keeping the shortest sectors back by way of an experiment for here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.