Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by stevehh
    I still find this hoohah a bit silly, because status holders - in particular Golds - with all their qualifying flights should have piles of Avios, so why don't they do RFS?
    This issue is that many corporate TA booking systems will automatically choose the cheapest flight available, and you either can't override it, or have to get external (and typically time-consuming) approval to go outside of policy, or the same to justify it later.

This has been the case for two of the major TA systems my company has used over the years.

It doesn't affect me - all my business travel is long-haul, but I can see how this would be annoying to those with Bronze/Silver/Gold who can now not select seats due to system restrictions they have no control over.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
    Originally Posted by BOH

As a shareholder (where the value is the highest for some 15 years) I can see BA getting a alot of extra revenue from this move as I suspect the majority of B, S and G cardholders will now move up a fare notch to be able to select a seat at time of booking or at T-7.
    Or defect to an alternative airline?
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:29 am
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
    Or defect to an alternative airline?
    or just pay the fee for a seat assignment
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:30 am
    Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
    Nothing to say that hasn't already been said many times. I actually read the email while sitting on QR12 waiting to take off for DOH yesterday, and was baffled to see that it included S/G CH as well. Extremely pleasant flight on QR by the way with top-notch service for the 60 or so of us who were on board.

I've never bought a HBO fare, but assume that this will allocate people to middle/back seats, so that those affected immediately go back to buying the regular fares. What really concerns me now is the lack of free drinks. I may have to dust off my hip flask for these trips!
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
    Originally Posted by shorthauldad
    Lounge? Non-existant at SZG and INN, MUC has one but I'd far rather be eating a real meal (and drinking a real beer) in Airbräu.
    What?! You don't consider these squishy potatoes with ketchup a real meal?!
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    When we were Bronze and went into to select seats at T7, we had always been allocated seats and they were "always" apart from each other even though we were on the same ticket (Mr & Mrs) and there were always plenty of seats available to choose so we had to move to be together.
    I think BA are exploiting couples/families who if they don't pay for seats when they book will find at T24 they are spread out and BA knows they will buy seats to be together. IMO
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:38 am
    Suspended

Originally Posted by FrancisA
    I was also hinting that offering lounge access on HBO fares probably eliminates any profit BA make from the ticket.
    Are you serious? BA has outsourced catering and service in its flagship lounges. Its galleries European lounge has a smaller running costs as no hot food is offered in general. That translates to regardless what ticket you hold to access the lounge based on BA status, BA has not seen big incremental costs to its lounge offering.

Again, if you believe HBO fares are impacting BA's bottom line, then the ultimate solution is to STOP THE HBO fares. Are they? No. HBO fares are not hurting BA's bottom line, nor profitability. If BA wants to be more profitable, simply inflate the fares by £0.50 and nobody would notice. But that would be millions additional revenue. Again, BA is not doing that. BA is to piss off its loyal members by no reason.

If you are to defend BA, I would like you to give me some sound reasons why BA is to do that. Because at this moment, whichever reason you are thinking, some of us here could come up better ideas to offset the negative impact while not hurting the bottom line as well as the loyalty of the customers.

To most of my fears, is not if we get free seat selection on BA, but rather that the possibilities that BA have a much grander plan in head to make a complete change to its current offerings while the reduced TP and the decision over HBO fares are just the very beginning.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:42 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

The financially unviable bit is offering full frequent flyer benefits on the HBO fare.
    Other airlines manage to do this
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
    Originally Posted by sapper188
    I think BA are exploiting couples/families who if they don't pay for seats when they book will find at T24 they are spread out and BA knows they will buy seats to be together. IMO
    According to the cut and paste response binman received to his complaint upthread, it seems families will still be automatically seated together. At least that hasn't been enhanced away yet.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by BOH
    As a shareholder (where the value is the highest for some 15 years) I can see BA getting a alot of extra revenue from this move as I suspect the majority of B, S and G cardholders will now move up a fare notch to be able to select a seat at time of booking or at T-7.

Smart move me thinks......however that's not so say as a Silver I agree with it from a pax perspective.
    BA will lose customers from these cost cutting exercises, that's a given and they will have factored it in, although its impossible to predict how many will leave. They think the revenues are high enough from corporate contracts and other such sources. That's fine whilst things are going well and the industry is on the up, but the tide will inevitably turn at some point. When that happens and the corporate contracts shrink and wallets tighten, BA will need to rely on the discretionary customers to choose BA, but they'll all be gone. A bad reputation takes a long time to heal. I would not like to be leading BA into the next downward cycle.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by BAMuc
    What?! You don't consider these squishy potatoes with ketchup a real meal?!
    Speaking of real meals, Airbräu did recently enhance one of the two Knödel away from their Rostbraten

I had to have a second beer to calm down
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Really? It is not the same?

I have seen many programs where the lite version has started out fairly unrestricted, but over the years has acquired greater restrictions, adverts, nag-screens, time limits on use or reduced functionality.

Often these changes happen where the product is popular and too many are only using the lite version.

Sounds like the situation here to me.
    Fab, so I look forward to BA forcing HBO folks to wear special 'advert' headphones.

I can see the safety announcement - 'HBO travellers must remove their 'nag' headphones for the safety announcement but these must be worn for the remainder of the flight. You can remove these headphones at any time by upgrading in flight the 'standard' fare.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
    ...and a response from Waterside

[...]

I am sorry to hear you feel disappointed with the announcement yesterday. In order to continue to provide the lowest and most competitive fares, we have had to make some changes to our Hand Baggage Only fares. This means we will now allocate your seat at time of check-in. This change affects all customers who purchase a Hand Baggage Only fare and we wanted to let our Executive Club Members know before the changes take effect. Our standard fares remain unaffected and as a Gold Member you will continue to be able to select a seat at time of booking for these tickets.

Thanks again for your email, I want to assure you that as a Gold Member we value your feedback and we hope to welcome you on board again soon.

[...]

I still don't buy the connection between "providing the most competitive fares" and seat selection though. Lounge access, catering, airport check-in yes - those things cost money. But choosing a seat doesn't. Forcing people to pay might make them more money, but that's actually a different argument...
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC
    Not to be flippant, but wonder what will happen after the war with Russia starts and air travel across Europe screaches to a halt.

It's been said a zillion times, but the reason people are upset about this because we've spent a lot of money to get to a certain status level, and one of the benefits of that status has always been that we get to move ahead in the queue. We get dedicated check-in, fast track security and the ability to select our seats - for free - when we book.

BA have suddenly decided to change the rules of BAEC without telling us.

Dunno if this has been mentioned in the thread, but are there OW rules about this sort of thing? I know US tried to tell me last year that OW Emerald had to pay for the exit row ("the CEO has to pay for the exit row").
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by DrBernardo
    [...]

I am sorry to hear you feel disappointed with the announcement yesterday. In order to continue to provide the lowest and most competitive fares, we have had to make some changes to our Hand Baggage Only fares. This means we will now allocate your seat at time of check-in. This change affects all customers who purchase a Hand Baggage Only fare and we wanted to let our Executive Club Members know before the changes take effect. Our standard fares remain unaffected and as a Gold Member you will continue to be able to select a seat at time of booking for these tickets.

Thanks again for your email, I want to assure you that as a Gold Member we value your feedback and we hope to welcome you on board again soon.

[...]

I still don't buy the connection between "providing the most competitive fares" and seat selection though. Lounge access, catering, airport check-in yes - those things cost money. But choosing a seat doesn't. Forcing people to pay might make them more money, but that's actually a different argument...
    The connection is that BA assume - for the sake of another £10 - you'll go ahead and pay the checked bag fare, viewing it as the cost of seat selection and a £3 option to check a bag if you'd like.

Are they taking away lounge access on HBO as well???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.