Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a Ł10 discount; Ł15 on LHR-PRG; and Ł20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from Ł7 to Ł21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was Ł23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
    I'm in my favourite aisle exit row seat on my next flight. So long as you have your seating preference in your profile most Golds have reported getting the correct row/ aisle, though some are getting dumped right up front others at the back. And my most recent flight apparently in the middle!
    So are the assigned seats on MMB typically those you end up with? In which case I'm happy... I feared these might just be placeholders (the trip's not for a month yet). Clearly I'm more paranoid than I need to be

See the HBO thread for the full detail.
    Ah apologies, I didn't see the thread on the first couple of pages... Mods, please feel free to move this into the main thread.
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:11 am
    Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
    Originally Posted by af101
    So are the assigned seats on MMB typically those you end up with? In which case I'm happy... I feared these might just be placeholders (the trip's not for a month yet). Clearly I'm more paranoid than I need to be
    I would expect that to generally be the case (as much as ever). I've managed to get my seat moved at the airport for free but I don't think that's really the intention of HBO.
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
    Just booked LHR GLA one way in July using HBO fare for 2 adults and 1 child. return is GLA LHR AMS on avios before the changes dont allow this.
    All passengers have a silver card and we have been allocated 8DEF which is first row of available seats. This was probably what I would have booked had I had a choice. The Ł15 credit card fee was a real kick in the teeth representing more than 10% of the fare paid after avios had knocked the fare down a bit. I am irritated but appreciate that BA dont give a fig for how I feel I just wish they had some competition from LHR on the domestic routes as living where I do means that other airports are not a sensible option.
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
    Posted this on another thread, apologies if this is against the rules but thought it may interest some as it's potentially related to this topic too:

Slight OT so apologies.

I had pre-reserved seat 1D (as usual upon booking confirmation, on a full economy fare - I.E not HBO) for my Friday domestic from LHR last week.

When I went to check in on Thursday evening I'd been moved to row 17. I called the BAEC Gold line and they told me that it may have been an aircraft change. I told them that it was irrelevant as an A319 and an A320 domestic would still be 1 class, and that it would still have a 1D. She couldn't answer, but told me to ask at check in at T5.

I did this upon arrival and was told that the system had shown I'd been moved due to it now being a staff seat, and that it must mean that they need an extra jump seat, possibly because of an aircraft change. I once again reiterated that there are two jump seats regardless of it being a 319/320 and that if a staff member is using the seat on a staff travel ticket / positioning then I want my seat (which I've technically paid for by booking a full fair rather than HBO reinstated and he/she can have row 17). She said she couldn't do this but to check with the GF lounge.

I went into the Gf lounge and spoke to a very helpful gentleman who went into the system and could see that I'd reserved my seat some time ago. He looked extremely shocked when he seen it was noted as 'staff use' and dug further.

It appears that a BA member of staff had moved me from my seat, and positioned another regular passenger in 1D, and gave me his seat in 17D. Upon checking in I had moved to 6E which was the furthest available seat forward but I obviously was unhappy.

This chap phoned someone and relayed these details to them. After around 5 minutes he managed to get her to switch my seat back to my original 1D, and kindly put the other pax in 6E.

I gave the rather miserable looking chap in 6E a little smile on my way back from the toilet mid flight.

It appears that someone within BA can mess around with seat changes like this, when they have no right to. Possibly friend and family etc. I can see this becoming a real issue once the out turn of the HBO allocated seats becomes more well known.
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
    Not sure this is the right thread for that conversation, but I'm always getting my seats moved around and most of the time the seat ends up being taken by someone who appears very strongly to be just a random punter.

I tend to keep an eye on my bookings (of course BA counter-intuitively only informs you when you've moved your seat yourself but not when someone else does) and I often play games of moving myself back and forth up to a few times before some flights.
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold PC Platinum
    I was shoved in a middle seat LGW-AMS despite being Gold and having window in my profile...and paying 380GBP for the "cheap HBO" ticket.......it's already cost BA thousands in bookings I've switched to other carriers......BA are simply not interested in their customers anymore which is a great shame.
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
    Same story here. For my HBO fare flight to Munich today, I was first assigned a window seat even thought my preference is for an aisle seat. As a newly BA bronze, I was able to change it to seat 19C at 7 days prior to my flight. Yesterday, when my dear wife checked me in, she managed to get me an exit seat and my printed boarding pass reflected this: 13C. So, what seat do you think I sat in today? Yep, 19C. I guess I was lucky that the flight was quite empty and I did not end-up in a middle seat. And to make things better, they served me a sandwich (some sort of wrap) when I was only expecting a bag of crisps. And two little bottles of wine.
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
    HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [even for GCH/SCH/BCHs]

Haven't been following this thread that closely so not sure if already reported but booked my first 2 HBO fares post change last week. Both through corporate TA.

On a 767 op flight, I got 2F assigned (having changed my preference to aisle) and was able to change seats with no issues. On E190 op flight was signed 2C which is best seat in the house next to 2D though MMB suggested a change in seat would cost £7.
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:13 pm

I think that you're the first two who have reported the ability to change seats for free on an HBO booking.
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
    Originally Posted by star_crazy
    I was shoved in a middle seat LGW-AMS despite being Gold and having window in my profile...and paying 380GBP for the "cheap HBO" ticket.......it's already cost BA thousands in bookings I've switched to other carriers......BA are simply not interested in their customers anymore which is a great shame.
    I assume though if that was the price that the flight was very full and you booked last minute and thus maybe all window seats taken?
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:16 pm

I think that you're the first two who have reported the ability to change seats for free on an HBO booking.
    Mum always said I'm special ;-)
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
    In my case, my mother never said I was special so BA will win. This trip to MUC was the only time I booked an HBO fare since it was a 2 days trip. Next trip to MUC is 3 weeks long, so I booked a with luggage fare and for my wife an HBO fare. Due to the change, I paid for her to reserve a seat (we just moved to the UK and she's having such a miserable time that that 30 Pounds is well spent so that I don't have to hear more recriminations). And, today, she already booked our December trip to MUC and is quite happy that the fare with luggage is less than the HBO fare she paid for the last three trips.
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA
    +1 on the ability to select seats (including exit row) on a corp TA HBO fare.
    Not sure I should post this in case the powers that be close this little benefit.
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:13 pm
    Suspended
    Hilton Contributor Badge

I am as good as my word. I just booked a flight on Ryanair because I am so hacked off with the changes at BA.

I don't know how I'll get on, but this has pushed me over the edge to at least try them.

Well done BA. You might have just saved me hundreds of pounds.
    Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
    Pre-book row one A-C or two D-F on Ryanair, shut yourself off and they are ok, with reasonable punctuality. Hilarious that you can spend Ł400plus for an HBO fare and BA want even more cash for seat choice..... Di. Laughin' as my Welsh Dad woul say!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.