Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a Ł10 discount; Ł15 on LHR-PRG; and Ł20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from Ł7 to Ł21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was Ł23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:33 am
    Suspended
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
    It's absolute bonkers.

A GGL in full Y, without a bag, doesn't get to select a seat.
    Full Y gets a seat.

But it defeats the point. This is an absolutely crazy annihilation at the programme. Maybe FVDP was doing a great job after all.

I suggest that we all help BA solve their hand baggage problems, by booking tickets with Ryanair and Easyjet.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by andset1191
    Full Y gets a seat.

But it defeats the point. This is an absolutely crazy annihilation at the programme. Maybe FVDP was doing a great job after all.

I suggest that we all help BA solve their hand baggage problems, by booking tickets with Ryanair and Easyjet.
    HBO full Y doesn't!

Silver in the lowest possible fare bucket, with a bag, gets to choose a seat.
    GGL in full fare Y, without a bag, doesn't get a seat.

Bonkers.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
    In the race to the bottom, is BA the first airline to start digging the hole?

And call me cynical, but did anyone receive a BA survey request a bit before the announce email?

I'd already complete the survey (I normally ignore these things but wanted to give them feedback). I think my response could be summarised as: BA? Meh.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by stifle
    I expect this will drive revenue up simply by getting business travellers to buy non-HBO fares.
    I can't. The booking tool gives me no option to. It would be out of policy even if it were available.

I suspect that 95% of corporates are the same.

Plus I'm one of the few lucky ones where I have a business class policy over five hours.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
    Dirt cheap compared to what? I think you'll find that not all fares are cheap, and even when they are, easyJet/Ryanair & Co are still often cheaper.
    I've often found them cheaper than EasyJet, and generally with more convenient flight times. Of course they can sometimes be more expensive, but they are clearly in competition with the LCC on these fares (and I happen to think competition is a good thing) and as such the no-thrills approach is to be expected.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, LH FT, Accor Plat
    HBO full Y doesn't!
    Is it possible to book a Fully Y HBO? I've never though about trying it
    Edit: After playing with BA.com it seems you can! I wasn't aware of that. Interesting!

In a word this is incredibly disappointing. As others have said I guess the logic is to spread HBO passengers out around the cabin to try to fix some of the mess that is ovehead space, but I don't see how it will work when 15D will just shove his bag above row 6 on his way down the back (something which I've seen happening more and more recently).

In any case, I'm find myself sitting here thinking "what's going to disappear next?" when I think of BA.

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by Paralytic
    In the race to the bottom, is BA the first airline to start digging the hole?

And call me cynical, but did anyone receive a BA survey request a bit before the announce email?

I'd already complete the survey (I normally ignore these things but wanted to give them feedback). I think my response could be summarised as: BA? Meh.
    I got one. I haven't done it yet

H

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by Tim1975
    But the thing you need to remember is that HBO fares are DIRT CHEAP.
    Wrong.

I have to stop the misinformation in this thread. HBO is an option in ALL fare buckets. It's a discount for not taking a bag. Nothing to do with the price of the fare.

If I buy a fully flexible ticket, as a Gold card holder, who doesn't need a bag, why I am now unable to select a seat?
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
    Thumbs down

Like others had to read the email (which only arrived 10 minutes ago) twice.

You may like to know that Hotline fares (staff friends and family fares) are cheaper than HBO fares and allow a bag to be checked in. They also provide tier points and Avios! So peope with Bronze status get to select seats ahead of Gold.

Great work BA!
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC
    Hi,

Might sound really dumb but does this mean that any HBO pax will no longer be able to select their seat during OLCI 24hrs before? If so I'm done with them, EZY all the way!
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:43 am

Wrong.

I have to stop the misinformation in this thread. HBO is an option in ALL fare buckets. It's a discount for not taking a bag. Nothing to do with the price of the fare.

If I buy a fully flexible ticket, as a Gold card holder, who doesn't need a bag, why I am now unable to select a seat?
    Sorry but this rather semantics and technical. A HBO fare ticket can be cheaper than a non-HBO fare ticket.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:44 am

This is irritating - once the CE hard product was devalued it seemed that at least ET with exit row seating was an option for GCH and SCH.

We often travel as a couple or with in laws on long weekend breaks and used to book one 'with baggage' ticket and the other(s) as HBO as we genuinely only needed one (or 2 with GCH allowance) checked bag between us.

Now we're effectively forced to buy 'full fare' tickets if we want to make use of the status we have earnt with BA... Feels a bit like the straw that broke the jumbo's back!

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
    This is completely ridiculous for sb like me - i.e., who does around 2-3 return trips a month almost exclusively HBO on SH.

I've stuck with BA mainly because of a relatively small fare difference on my regular route (around 10-15GBP with HBO), more convenient flight times and lounges etc., but these "enhancements" are slowly eradicating these aspects one-by-one. If U2 is serious about the 1 personal bag + 1 suitcase for plus card holders, then my future's bright and orange from now on.

To be fair, I am probably exactly the sort of customer they want to drive away from BAEC given my travel and spending patterns.

Interesting as to whether lounge access for status holders on HBO fares will be removed next. I wouldn't be surprised, but the logic of having no pay for entry lounges at T5 starts to unravel if you go down that route.

Programs: BAEC Silver, LH FT, Accor Plat
    Originally Posted by londonba2014
    Hi,

Might sound really dumb but does this mean that any HBO pax will no longer be able to select their seat during OLCI 24hrs before? If so I'm done with them, EZY all the way!
    This is correct.
    You'll be allocated a seat automatically and you can pay to change it if you wish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.