Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a Ł10 discount; Ł15 on LHR-PRG; and Ł20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from Ł7 to Ł21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was Ł23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
    I'm not impressed. My guess is that the non paying HBOers will be shoved to the back of the plane where there is less competition for overhead space. At the moment I sit at the back to take advantage of the lack of other people
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
    Originally Posted by shorthauldad
    To me, travelling on HBO isn't about controlling costs, but controlling time (ie not watching my life tick away while waiting at the reclaim belt)
    that's your view and I know the view of many travellers

maybe I am fortunate in not being as restricted as some travellers in that on domestics for instance I can choose to travel off peak so airports are quieter loads are less so hence over head locker space is less of an issue and waits for luggage has never been seriously long

and when not on domestics I honestly have not had many problems

maybe I am one of the lucky ones
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
    You include yourselves in this trap of course?
    Sadly not - I was a GCH up to 2006 but switched away from BA. Primarily to EK but to a number of others.

Very refreshing to choose my flights based on price, schedule and product rather than due to status, addiction to Avios etc etc. That means BA is a rare selection on my list.

Let's be honest, 80% of the people moaning on here will still be with BA in a year's time.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
    Originally Posted by francismc
    Just received this email also and looks like a further devaluation for all Executive Club members.

Not impressed at all
    Time for lowly bronze Blues to feel they have been upgraded by BA downgrading the Golds et al ?

Originally Posted by Polomarc
    And the LCC's are trying to improve their offers to attract the business Pax.
    How will this end
    Wonder if they will wake up before the LCCs going up and BA heading down on a graph cross.....? Let's hope for the best.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
    Dont really understand BA s business logic - namely irritating your best customers for very little revenue in return .Personally not bothered as i use avios for short haul - but still .
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:25 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docklander
    Dont really understand BA s business logic - namely irritating your best customers for very little revenue in return .Personally not bothered as i use avios for short haul - but still .
    Perhaps BA don't understand their customer base as well as they thought.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
    Originally Posted by Calchas
    Perhaps BA don't understand their customer base as well as they thought.
    Or maybe FT peeps aren't representative of the majority of their customers. It's unlikely this decision was made on a whim.

Only time will tell. Currently IAG has dropped nearly 4% at COB but who knows why?
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
    After mulling it over for a day , I've came to the conclusion this is an irritating decision and a step too far. My BA Amex was cancelled today and I've switched over to Amex gold.

I've had done great trips on BA, however I'm finding the new Shorthaul product cramped , and with the avios devaluation , they won't be my airline of choice anymore. They have tipped the scales in their competitors favour.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:25 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deckard
    Or maybe FT peeps aren't representative of the majority of their customers. It's unlikely this decision was made on a whim.

Only time will tell. Currently IAG has dropped nearly 4% at COB but who knows why?
    Maybe! But the HBO "exactly the usual BA standard but with no bags" followed by "oh wait, imagine you're on a LCC" suggests a lack of managerial oversight, warring factions within management, a lack of forethought on the "optics" of the situation, or a misapprehension of their customer base.

I was being charitable.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:07 pm
    amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
    Originally Posted by simons1
    Sadly not - I was a GCH up to 2006 but switched away from BA. Primarily to EK but to a number of others.

Very refreshing to choose my flights based on price, schedule and product rather than due to status, addiction to Avios etc etc. That means BA is a rare selection on my list.

Let's be honest, 80% of the people moaning on here will still be with BA in a year's time.
    Honestly... That's devistating for a company, to year on year loose 20% of its most valuable customers.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:15 pm
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by amt
    Honestly... That's devistating for a company, to year on year loose 20% of its most valuable customers.
    if the customers are tied up too tightly, perhaps 20% do need to be loosed

as far as losing passengers goes, perhaps some people's belief in their importance to the company is not the same as the company's view in the customer's importance to it

Maybe some will leave , some will just accept the lack of customer selectable seating and some will just pay the charge to select a seat or book a fare which includes the option for a passenger holding status to select seats in advance. I think that once teddy throwing dies down, that the number of customers BA loses over this will be minimal
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:17 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

I'm not sure, having spoken to a number of GGLs (and not of the TP running variety either) they are not very happy with much of the "enhanced" product of recent times. There is a veritable feeling that the product and benefits being offered fall well short and their displeasure in BA is festering.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:36 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    I'm not sure, having spoken to a number of GGLs (and not of the TP running variety either) they are not very happy with much of the "enhanced" product of recent times. There is a veritable feeling that the product and benefits being offered fall well short and their displeasure in BA is festering.
    Indeed. Similar views coming from a number of friends all GGL and Gold card holders of many years standing. The sense of constant, incremental erosion of the product at a time when the company is making significant profits doesn't sit well. Long term customer satisfaction is being traded for short term earnings improvement...which does not often make long term business sense.

I've already checked out and shall be making zero effort to renew GGL. There is a stack of Avios to be burned. I'm even looking at trying U2 for a forthcoming weekend away.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club

Or that rewarding loyalty is no longer profitable.

Unless you run the company you don't know the real rationale behind the decision.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:18 pm
    Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
    Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
    As I said... I will keep booking HBO fares, but punish BA in other ways. Yes, I will end up costing them a lot more than the seat change fee.
    Can you elaborate on this passive-aggressive plan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.