Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
    Originally Posted by Calchas
    It's one thing to say "Look I prefer to travel in J over four hours so I won't take the job otherwise"

It's a bit of another to say "I always want you to buy me a checked bag fare even when I'm not going to check a bag"
    l I am saying is I don't think its right to force staff to fly HBO

I deal with several business people men and women who would be horrified at the thought (more so the ladies I must say)

thankfully I answer to myself so don't have that problem
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    10 minutes would be good at T5 (though not impossible), at LGW or AMS somewhat unlikely. At both airports it can easily take longer for the bag to be delivered than the actual flight time. I had the misfortune to accompany a colleague to AMS 2 weeks ago, unable to HBO on a 2 night visit (suspected shoe fetish) and we waited 45 minutes in baggage reclaim. She put the time to good use (texting, emailing, Book of Faces), I just fumed! I am nearly unable compute a really regular traveller doing anything other than HBO.
    I suspect that your colleague is from that young generation that can entertain themselves easily on a smart phone. Now, I consider myself lucky that the only person that accompanies me sometimes on business trips is my wife who can go on a 12 days trip with just HBO luggage. And she was the type that in the 1980's would travel from the US to Hong-Kong where her father worked with 2 pieces of luggage of 30 kgs and one hand luggage of 17 kgs. Because as she said: how do you know what you will want to wear once you are there?
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: AB Gold, LH FTL, ST ElitePlus, HH Gold, LeClub Plat, Melia Gold
    Originally Posted by Gaza
    It would be interesting to see if a non-HBO fare is less than a HBO with added seat selection.
    Exactly what I was thinking at the moment. Cause usually on the last routes I booked recently the difference was precisely 15-17£ or so per leg. It defeats the whole purpose of buying HBO fare if you hold on to your seat selection 'privilege' (which I certainly do). So de facto we'll end up paying more anyways...
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:45 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
    Originally Posted by BOH
    This is perfectly true. Lots of posturing and threats to desert but it rarely seems to happen as the lure of Avios and lounge access is far to great.

Normal service will be resumed....in about 2 days I reckon!
    Quite.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:48 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by Petrus
    It isn't. BA are entirely at the mercy of financial markets. Business model is setup for a boom. Screw everything except profits. When it crashes.... oh dear.

Greed is the word I am looking for.
    Wise words. ^
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by BOH
    I can see BA getting a alot of extra revenue from this move as I suspect the majority of B, S and G cardholders will now move up a fare notch to be able to select a seat at time of booking or at T-7.
    If this is what BA are hoping for, I think they can dream on and start counting the losses instead. Certainly not going to happen in my case, in fact, while I will continue to book the now more miserable HBO fares when I need them, I have decided to stop using BA standard fares altogether unless there is no reasonable alternative.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
    Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
    l I am saying is I don't think its right to force staff to fly HBO

I deal with several business people men and women who would be horrified at the thought (more so the ladies I must say)

thankfully I answer to myself so don't have that problem
    Not forced to travel HBO. I can check a bag in and expense it, if I need to. The default is cheapest Y when booking.

We moved from allowing Flex Y to cheapest Y for SH. Saved a fortune - people can change flights if they need to, the change fees are a fraction of full Y. It's fiscal prudence. As a shareholder I want costs to be reasonably controlled.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by chistery
    Maybe BA are taking their customer relations advice from Alex Polizzi?

Although what she was actually saying was that most people don't complain -- they just don't come back. And then you've lost them forever.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
    What will you do when Little Red stop flying ?
    Originally Posted by where2travel
    Much as I like Little Red and am sorry to see it go, you do realise you can't play that card for long? One Little Red service is finishing this month and the others (two?) at the end of September.
    Yes, I realise I've got until September and I will also be sad to see Little Red go. Afterwards I will go FLyBe to LCY (favourite London airport but turboprop plane), BA to LHR or even Easyjet to LGW. Basically I will choose the flights that suit my travel plans. My days of always choosing BA even if less convenient or more costly are finished.

If BA reintroduce the LCY-ABZ flight again without the HBO option or this stupid (IMO) rule they will get my domestic business pretty much 100% again! But not likely to happen.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by FrancisA
    I suspect that your analysis is right.

On the point about some taking their business elsewhere, there lies the real question. How many can do this?
    Of the many corporate policies I know of, I can think of none which suggests BA (or for that matter any other airline) as an exclusive choice. Almost all large companies have negotiated contracts with multiple airlines (some global, some by routes, some on all fares, some on specific fares). If BA think that corporate flyers are "stuck with them" anyway, then I think that they are being incredibly naïve and should double check their suspicions with company travel managers.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:22 pm
    BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
    Originally Posted by Calchas
    You include yourselves in this trap of course?
    No because I am supportive of this move by BA and have said so a few times up-thread
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
    Originally Posted by MAN Pax
    Not forced to travel HBO. I can check a bag in and expense it, if I need to. The default is cheapest Y when booking.

We moved from allowing Flex Y to cheapest Y for SH. Saved a fortune - people can change flights if they need to, the change fees are a fraction of full Y. It's fiscal prudence. As a shareholder I want costs to be reasonably controlled.
    I totally understand fiscal prudence and reasonably controlled costs and when I book flights I don't spend money willy nilly

its good you can expense your checked bag if need be

but I have heard that some people have had to pay to check baggage and some who had a choice of paying to check or losing some expensive toiletries
    (these were people who don't usually fly with work)

and I should add that the company refused to allow the extra costs to be expensed
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
    I totally understand fiscal prudence and reasonably controlled costs
    To me, travelling on HBO isn't about controlling costs, but controlling time (ie not watching my life tick away while waiting at the reclaim belt)
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
    You always get that. Fit of pique, spur of the moment stuff.

When the dust settles it will be business as usual, as people cannot let go their status or their marriage to Avios.
    As I said... I will keep booking HBO fares, but punish BA in other ways. Yes, I will end up costing them a lot more than the seat change fee.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by BOH
    Hopefully a number of us returning to paying non-HBO again will actually put their bags in the hold now anyway and this will free up cabin space too...that has to be a very good thing! I never understand this obsession with pax cramming everything into the cabin and at most airports there is rarely a wait of more than 10 minutes at the carousel. This is because at least 15-20 minutes have passed by the time you have got off the plane, walked a good few hundred metres, up and down a few escalators and queued at Immigration.

As a long suffering shareholder.....I say good move BA and lets hope it clears the cabin overheads a little bit too ^
    I'm not sure this is actually what will happen. I think most passengers who check bags, still bring one on board.

And you also make the point that plenty of people won't care about this latest enhancement and will still buy HBO tickets.

Either way the overheads will still be rammed full, but now with the addition of lots of passengers annoyed at either having to pay more or else not sitting in a seat of their choosing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.