Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
Originally Posted by HMPS
No doubt part of the " latest diet " ?
Oh good lord, I was about to head for the lounge food bar... *groans*
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by 13900
We rant ad infinitum, here, on how BA is letting us down and crew can't be arsed and ground staff don't care and blah blah blah, but what about our fellow passengers?

I've had my fair share of encounters with unsavory travelers, from obnoxious individuals to complete knobs. Take, for example, the Alicante flight that I've been on a couple of days ago: a packed flight with people who've decided to take onboard half of their possessions, at least judging by the dimensions of their carrier bags, and that all pretended that the crew literally created the space for them. Without using the space where the yellow-labeled bags should go, obviously.

Then, in Club, the full English runs out, leaving only the frittata or the cold platter. Now, I'm a big fan of the cold platter, and so are my arteries; but I understand that the full English is always the full English, and not having it might cause a bit of a stir. What I don't understand is why a grown man, possibly a man with a job and responsibilities and commitments, needs to behave like a 13-years-old teenager when he's told that, alas, the beloved sausages and bacon have indeed run out. And neither I understand why this man needs to subject the cabin crew, nice to a fault and really ready to find alternatives (seriously, she was showing quite a lot of inventive), to a stream-of-consciousness of rantings including punctuality, bags, the new Club cabin, food, price, the Border Force, all intertwined by the classic accusatory mantra "What are you gonna do about that?". Ignoring that, yes, she's offered you alternatives. Yes, she's offered you to fill a complaint form. Yes, she's apologised. And, no, she can't fetch you another sausage-and-bacon combo because we're in the middle of the bloody air.

Then, finally, a medical emergency happens. A full blown one, including defibrillator, big medkits, oxygen bottles aplenty, a panicked nurse who is asking the crew what can be done for her patient and the cliche call "Is there a doctor onboard?" (luckily, there was, bless him). All this, I should point out, on a A320.

And here comes mr Gold card holder (he took pride in showing it dangling from the handle of this carrier bag), hitting the 'call' bell button multiple times, only to ask the cabin crew, shuttling oxygen back and forth, for a drink. On a flight with 3 crews and a medical emergency going on. As fas as inappropriateness goes, this is second only to the one asking "Y'alright babe?" to a woman at her husband's funeral.

I see this sort of behaviour almost every single time I take it to the skies. Some routes - the Middle East, south of Spain - seem more affected than others, but there's no denying that for every cabin crew not doing his/her job, there are 10 of us behaving like, well, the diminutive of Richard.

Discuss!
It all started with the rise of the low cost airlines. Flights are now inevitably full of riff-raff.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Welcome on board PY33. We're glad you're here. Oh wait - that's the AA board.

Yes that Freddy Laker certainly started something.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by PY33
It all started with the rise of the low cost airlines. Flights are now inevitably full of riff-raff.
can you please define these " riff rafts" ? I am anxious to find out which among my fellow travelers belong ?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
can you please define these " riff rafts" ? I am anxious to find out which among my fellow travelers belong ?
Tesco shopping bags. Dead give-away.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:20 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The couple on my flight to HEL today. Their little cherub (about 2 years old) was climbing all over the seat in front for almost the whole flight. Constantly playing with the the hair of the unfortunate woman who was occupying the seat. The couple just chatted to each other, and occasionally pulled him back for a few seconds.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by fripperies
Tesco shopping bags. Dead give-away.
In other words, anyone that doesn't shop at Waitrose is considered to be the "riff raff"
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wendy Wannabe

A smartly-dressed young female who lurks briefly at the entrance to the Fast Track queue, then deposits her roll-aboard just off to one side.

When boarding is called, she insinuates herself into the queue, only to be turned back by the gate agents.

On the aircraft, she stops at row 3 and deposits the roll-aboard in the overhead locker before taking her seat in .... row 17 !!!

And this was a recent SH flight, so it's not as if flying CE is anything to aspire to anymore !!

Still, I suppose at least her luggage will be able to say "yah, just flew back in Club, aaactually..."
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Calum
In other words, anyone that doesn't shop at Waitrose is considered to be the "riff raff"
I guess so.

Mind you, I only know about these tribes by hearsay. My nearest Waitrose is nearly 50 miles away. It's grim up north.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:17 pm

I guess so.

Mind you, I only know about these tribes by hearsay. My nearest Waitrose is nearly 50 miles away. It's grim up north.
I think I have you beat at 180 miles, try living in the real north
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Waitrose, isn't it run as one of those communist workers' co-operatives, more proletariat than bourgeoisie?

Last edited by kanderson1965; Mar 2, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess so.

<1 mile: directly opposite the Morrisons

Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our nearest is 150 yards down the lane. Deffo Waitrose territory
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I guess so.

So geography precludes you from being a riff raff ? Would you shop at Tesco or Waitrose if they were within driving distance ?

Here, depending on what I am buying I do patronize WalMart . How's a 55inch slim TV sounds to you for $238 all taxes included.

just think, saving money like this will allow you to pay the extra airline fees that keep the riff rafts away !
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The couple on my flight to HEL today. Their little cherub (about 2 years old) was climbing all over the seat in front for almost the whole flight. Constantly playing with the the hair of the unfortunate woman who was occupying the seat. The couple just chatted to each other, and occasionally pulled him back for a few seconds.
This bugs me when it happens. On flights and in other places like restaurants. I like children but when some stranger's children is tugging at me or bothering me, I would prefer if the parent pull them back and stop them from doing it. Too often the parents just ignore it and act as if this kind of behaviour is just "children being children" and something other people should put up with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.