Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terminal 3 lounge options

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
As I see it .... Cathay First is better than Qantas for Gold / First passengers. Qantas is better than Cathay Business for Club / Silver passengers, due to the at-table dining.
On the surface. But what you are missing is that On Demand dining is only for limited hours. You also didn't see the lunch changeover and what was there at lunchtime when the breakfast is cleared. Don't believe everything you heard on Tue (and I was there as well btw!)
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Raffles
I was in there for 3 hours on Tuesday and never found it dark.

There are also excellent taxiway views upstairs. The planes turn right in front of you to move to and from the runway, so it is a different experience to the usual trundling past of aircraft.

As I see it .... Cathay First is better than Qantas for Gold / First passengers. Qantas is better than Cathay Business for Club / Silver passengers, due to the at-table dining.
is there any detail on what the at dining actually produces in regards to dishes as yet?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yetak
Looks like I'm need some help with my lounge planning .In January I'm flying out with 4 friends to Vegas in F with BA for my 50th birthday. Its a 1550 flight and we will meet around 12.45 so I guess through bag drop and security and checking in to a lounge at 1.15pm ish .Given the lengths of the walks to the gate that will give us around 1.45hr to spend in the T3 lounges.

I was thinking of visiting all 3 (BA,CX and QF )but could that be a bit of a pain ? First thing we will want some lunch and I'd rather have table service than buffet.Secondly a glass of champagne or two wouldn't go amiss .

I'm not a regular long haul flyer, once every couple of years or so, thus the lounge is all part of the fun rather than just somewhere to fill a bit of time. As we are flying BA I feel for some reason obliged to go to the Flounge for at least a visit. So I was thinking , based upon what I've read on here, CX for lunch then BA for post lunch relax and give QF a miss, though that seems a shame as it looks good ?

I want to have a plan ( I know its ages away ) as I cant talk to my friends about it as they think we are going in WT. Hopefully they'll get a nice surprise at check-in !

Also is it ever a problem getting into a Oneworld lounge at LHR ? Presumably all the reception staff are well aware of eligibility ?

Thanks
I am BA Gold and tend to fly Economy when going to Europe and never had problems accessing any of the OW lounges at LHR

Personally I would do Cathay First for lunch and champagne and Qantas for post lunch. The latter had some very nice cakes etc which I found better than what's offered in the BA lounge. The only reason I'd bother with the BA T3 First lounge is if you want some decent whisky as they tend to stock Johnnie Walker Blue.

btw. Not my cup of tea but the QF lounge had a massive choice of gins. I overheard the bar,an saying there are14.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Who's going to be the first one to do a "Trip Report" on lounge hopping / lounge crawl around T3?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Firipu
Who's going to be the first one to do a "Trip Report" on lounge hopping / lounge crawl around T3?
Now that's something I'd be up for! Anyone else interested? We could have a mini "do" at T3
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I'm thrilled that I have an upcoming BA flight from T3. BTW: I like QF's statement that they'll gladly charge BA for usage of the facility. Their T3 lounge is IMO appalling.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Now that's something I'd be up for! Anyone else interested? We could have a mini "do" at T3
I‘m in!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I'm in the Qantas lounge now and although I like it I would rate not quite as nice as the CX lounge. I did enjoy the Australian Green Ant Gin though.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Well, I am flying out of T3 on the 18th December on BA271 to LAS (curiously the BA275 isn't operating that day) but the earlier flight plus the fact that I am taking the train down from Newcastle means I probably won't have a lot of lounge time...
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
I like the look of the QF lounge, a lot. Am flying from T3 in a couple of weeks but we are a group of 8 people in CW, I'm a gold but others are silver or bronze.

We need to eat before our flight (well teenagers will) and we should have 2-2.5 hrs to indulge. I've always quite like the T3 Galleries lounge as a solo traveller but haven't found it works well for a group. How would the CX/QF lounges compare.

Also, as a gold, I need to know which F lounge has the best fizz. I am not drinking Castelnau before a holiday...
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks to those who have experienced the new QF lounge and posted above.

I sense a little feeling of disappointment?

I do not have any T3 flights booked in the future, so cannot try it anytime soon.

On a brief scan, however, it looks as though I will probably stay with BA GF with OK food but good wine/champagne and the occasional CX F visit when I need some noodles and sophistication in the dining room.

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Nov 30, 2017 at 4:16 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:14 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
On the surface. But what you are missing is that On Demand dining is only for limited hours. You also didn't see the lunch changeover and what was there at lunchtime when the breakfast is cleared. Don't believe everything you heard on Tue (and I was there as well btw!)
So what is there at lunchtime?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I feel a little sense of disappointment?
I would hope not, since though for Gold cardholders it doesn't appear to add a lot more to the existing provision (except perhaps vegetarians, who don't always get a good deal in lounges), nevertheless it is another lounge option, it is offering something and in effect spreads the available lounge resource more widely, to everyone's benefit, hopefully. There are arguments in favour and against each of the lounges, but the choice is very much there. I can't think of any other oneworld location so well served by lounges.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Slotski
I am BA Gold and tend to fly Economy when going to Europe and never had problems accessing any of the OW lounges at LHR

Personally I would do Cathay First for lunch and champagne and Qantas for post lunch. The latter had some very nice cakes etc which I found better than what's offered in the BA lounge. The only reason I'd bother with the BA T3 First lounge is if you want some decent whisky as they tend to stock Johnnie Walker Blue.

btw. Not my cup of tea but the QF lounge had a massive choice of gins. I overheard the bar,an saying there are14.

Thanks for this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by badoc
I like the look of the QF lounge, a lot. Am flying from T3 in a couple of weeks but we are a group of 8 people in CW, I'm a gold but others are silver or bronze.

We need to eat before our flight (well teenagers will) and we should have 2-2.5 hrs to indulge. I've always quite like the T3 Galleries lounge as a solo traveller but haven't found it works well for a group. How would the CX/QF lounges compare.

Also, as a gold, I need to know which F lounge has the best fizz. I am not drinking Castelnau before a holiday...
Cathay First has Baron de Rothschild and Moët, AA has Moët (haven't tried the lounge but know this from reading other FT threads) and Qantas has an Aussie fizz: Croser, which I thought was quite nice. I really like the CX 1st lounge but not sure if it is best for a group of eight, the QF lounge is more spacious and probably works better
badoc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.