Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ba.com charging EC Gold for seat assignment.

Ba.com charging EC Gold for seat assignment.

Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
When booking a flight just now I had the same - I hadn't seen that for a few months. I simply booked and then went into MMB to get my seat.

Not that there were any decent ones left anyways. Gotta love being >row 20 on an A3xx.
The front 5 or so rows will open up at T-72
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
i noticed it a few month's back when I was looking at a last minute LH to the US and all I could afford at the last second was...horrors...Y. It wanted to charge me for exit row seat reservations.

I never bought the ticket, but people told me it was a glitch and that you wouldn't actually be charged the seat fee.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
When is this going to be fixed? I'm trying to make some bookings based on seat availability and it's causing havoc. I don't particularly want to call the airline, just wanna get it sorted online.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
I don't think it winds up charging you is the point.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
When is this going to be fixed? I'm trying to make some bookings based on seat availability and it's causing havoc. I don't particularly want to call the airline, just wanna get it sorted online.
You can simply view the map and not select a seat. Book. Then immediately visit MMB to reserve seats. You won't be charged.

This took a few days to rectify last time.

Alternatively, ExpertFlyer allows you to view future seat maps if that helps.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paul4040
You can simply view the map and not select a seat. Book. Then immediately visit MMB to reserve seats. You won't be charged.
But not all the UD seats display on the seat map to purchase. They are only available to GCH so if dicksbits is wanting one of those seats, the booking would have to be made first to see the full availability of seats in MMB. Hopefully the bug is fixed soon.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by ENTP
The front 5 or so rows will open up at T-72
I actually booked around T-72 The problem is more that there is a planeload of pharma people on the Friday afternoon flight back home from Basel who probably booked their flights sometime around Christmas.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
When making a booking yesterday BUD-LHR-EDI the same thing occurred. I noticed though that there was a note on the page inviting me to pay for a seat which said the following "gold and silver can select seats free of charge via MMB".

So perhaps it isn't a bug but a new enhancement?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:32 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'm going to have call BA for seat selection after booking (and after checking expert flyer). Website still asking me to pay for seats as a Gold member which is not correct.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:30 pm

Booked a short-haul holiday to south of France tonight and it allocated me exit row seats in Y upon booking. So it's actually working (in a fashion).
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by longliveKA
Been happening for 2 days. Ba.com is trying to charge seat assignment fee on Gold member booking. Is this happening to other people?
Originally Posted by Lioneye
It a trial.
This enhancement will be rolled out before year's end.
Originally Posted by KARFA
No it's not. As noted there was a similar bug a few months ago and it was fixed. Also it is fine in MMB.
Yep, it was somewhat tongue in cheek...........but at the current rate of enhancements who knows?
Who knew?.......................
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Who knew?.......................
Reports in the thread include CE fares (so not HBO) and that they could select once booked and in MMB - so it is not the HBO changes, which in any case don't affect bookings made before 26 March anyway.

So you didn't...
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Reports in the thread include CE fares (so not HBO) and that they could select once booked and in MMB - so it is not the HBO changes, which in any case don't affect bookings made before 26 March anyway.

So you didn't...
You don't need a crystal ball on this one.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You don't need a crystal ball on this one.
But you didn't predict the HBO seat selection fee so perhaps you need to get a new one. As I said, the issue on this thread and the HBO changes are clearly not the same.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:24 am

The subject matter was charging golds for seat selection - which would have been a first.

I joked it was a trial and would go live soon.

BA has just announced they will be charging golds for seat selection.

That's it - a little joke - no-one died, lighten up and get that twist out of your knickers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.