HBO fare more expensive than normal fare

Old Feb 24, 15, 10:34 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Posts: 3,531
HBO fare more expensive than normal fare

I just booked a return ticket from AMS to LGW. The HBO fare was 101 euros, while the normal fare including one checked bag was 66 euros. Why would that happen?
BlackBerryAddict is offline  
Old Feb 24, 15, 11:24 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London
Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Posts: 835
Maybe they want to put luggage in the hold to save the overhead bin shuffle. so no carryon allowed, another great enhancement maybe
John
thejohn is offline  
Old Feb 24, 15, 11:41 am
  #3  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,586
I don't think I've seen that, but it looks like a temporary pricing fluke. HBO fares do sell out, but maybe some lower bucket fares came back on before the HBO side was recalculated. It may have calculated to a lower fare if you followed it through to the Quote screen.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Feb 24, 15, 12:32 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 16,749
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict View Post
I just booked a return ticket from AMS to LGW. The HBO fare was 101 euros, while the normal fare including one checked bag was 66 euros. Why would that happen?
Bug!
Calchas is offline  
Old Feb 24, 15, 1:54 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: HKG
Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Posts: 281
Presumably the hbo fare is a flexi fare, whereas the normal isn't flexible.

I had similar on a recent European flight, where club Europe was about 160 cheaper than euro traveller...
Firemin is offline  
Old Feb 25, 15, 12:13 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Posts: 5,695
Originally Posted by Firemin View Post
Presumably the hbo fare is a flexi fare, whereas the normal isn't flexible.
I was led to believe that the buckets were the same for HBO and baggage fares. There is simply a discount for not checking a bag.
paul4040 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 15, 2:57 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Posts: 3,531
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I don't think I've seen that, but it looks like a temporary pricing fluke. HBO fares do sell out, but maybe some lower bucket fares came back on before the HBO side was recalculated. It may have calculated to a lower fare if you followed it through to the Quote screen.
It did - if you choose the HBO fare, it recalculated it to the normal fare including a bag, which was cheaper. You'd think the HBO fare is an automatic discount calculation on the base fare, with perhaps a limit on the total number of HBO fares in a fare class. It also persisted overnight.

Originally Posted by paul4040 View Post
I was led to believe that the buckets were the same for HBO and baggage fares. There is simply a discount for not checking a bag.
That's what I thought too - so something weird - and only for specific flights.


Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Bug!
That's what I think - not as good as the recent United mistake fare in DKK, but 50 for a return from Amsterdam is good value.
BlackBerryAddict is offline  
Old Feb 25, 15, 4:09 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 16,749
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict View Post
It did - if you choose the HBO fare, it recalculated it to the normal fare including a bag, which was cheaper. You'd think the HBO fare is an automatic discount calculation on the base fare, with perhaps a limit on the total number of HBO fares in a fare class. It also persisted overnight.

That's what I thought too - so something weird - and only for specific flights.

That's what I think - not as good as the recent United mistake fare in DKK, but 50 for a return from Amsterdam is good value.
HBO fares are different fares to regular fares, they are not a "discount". They include the expression Z0 in the fare basis.

For instance, domestic fare VHAPZ0R is a V-class, high season, Hand Baggage Only fare to/from London Heathrow which has an advance purchase restriction.

If V class is full you could neither buy this nor its friend VV1R
Calchas is offline  
Old Feb 25, 15, 5:25 am
  #9  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Singapore
Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
Posts: 1,439
Well sir if you had no baggage you should have booked an HBO fare. Since you are on a normal fare but are not checking a bag we will charge you 50 pounds.

I can so see this happening

Globalist
Globalist is offline  
Old Feb 25, 15, 6:28 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Posts: 3,531
Originally Posted by Globalist View Post
Well sir if you had no baggage you should have booked an HBO fare. Since you are on a normal fare but are not checking a bag we will charge you 50 pounds.

I can so see this happening

Globalist
That would be funny

However, Miss BBA will most likely find that even 1 bag is cramping her style

Anyway, the fare is still available for some dates - base fare is 2 euros, plus 64 euros taxes. In the other direction, flights are more expensive and do not show this peculiarity.
BlackBerryAddict is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread