FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   HBO fare more expensive than normal fare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1657682-hbo-fare-more-expensive-than-normal-fare.html)

BlackBerryAddict Feb 24, 2015 9:34 am

HBO fare more expensive than normal fare

I just booked a return ticket from AMS to LGW. The HBO fare was 101 euros, while the normal fare including one checked bag was 66 euros. Why would that happen?

thejohn Feb 24, 2015 10:24 am

Maybe they want to put luggage in the hold to save the overhead bin shuffle. so no carryon allowed, another great enhancement maybe ;)
John

corporate-wage-slave Feb 24, 2015 10:41 am

I don't think I've seen that, but it looks like a temporary pricing fluke. HBO fares do sell out, but maybe some lower bucket fares came back on before the HBO side was recalculated. It may have calculated to a lower fare if you followed it through to the Quote screen.

Calchas Feb 24, 2015 11:32 am

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict (Post 24406779)
I just booked a return ticket from AMS to LGW. The HBO fare was 101 euros, while the normal fare including one checked bag was 66 euros. Why would that happen?

Bug!

Firemin Feb 24, 2015 12:54 pm

Presumably the hbo fare is a flexi fare, whereas the normal isn't flexible.

I had similar on a recent European flight, where club Europe was about £160 cheaper than euro traveller...

paul4040 Feb 24, 2015 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Firemin (Post 24407919)
Presumably the hbo fare is a flexi fare, whereas the normal isn't flexible.

I was led to believe that the buckets were the same for HBO and baggage fares. There is simply a discount for not checking a bag.

BlackBerryAddict Feb 25, 2015 1:57 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 24407170)
I don't think I've seen that, but it looks like a temporary pricing fluke. HBO fares do sell out, but maybe some lower bucket fares came back on before the HBO side was recalculated. It may have calculated to a lower fare if you followed it through to the Quote screen.

It did - if you choose the HBO fare, it recalculated it to the normal fare including a bag, which was cheaper. You'd think the HBO fare is an automatic discount calculation on the base fare, with perhaps a limit on the total number of HBO fares in a fare class. It also persisted overnight.

Originally Posted by paul4040 (Post 24410640)
I was led to believe that the buckets were the same for HBO and baggage fares. There is simply a discount for not checking a bag.

That's what I thought too - so something weird - and only for specific flights.

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 24407449)
Bug!

That's what I think - not as good as the recent United mistake fare in DKK, but £50 for a return from Amsterdam is good value. :cool:

Calchas Feb 25, 2015 3:09 am

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict (Post 24411029)
It did - if you choose the HBO fare, it recalculated it to the normal fare including a bag, which was cheaper. You'd think the HBO fare is an automatic discount calculation on the base fare, with perhaps a limit on the total number of HBO fares in a fare class. It also persisted overnight.

That's what I thought too - so something weird - and only for specific flights.

That's what I think - not as good as the recent United mistake fare in DKK, but £50 for a return from Amsterdam is good value. :cool:

HBO fares are different fares to regular fares, they are not a "discount". They include the expression Z0 in the fare basis.

For instance, domestic fare VHAPZ0R is a V-class, high season, Hand Baggage Only fare to/from London Heathrow which has an advance purchase restriction.

If V class is full you could neither buy this nor its friend VV1R

Globalist Feb 25, 2015 4:25 am

Well sir if you had no baggage you should have booked an HBO fare. Since you are on a normal fare but are not checking a bag we will charge you 50 pounds. :)

I can so see this happening :)

Globalist

BlackBerryAddict Feb 25, 2015 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Globalist (Post 24411414)
Well sir if you had no baggage you should have booked an HBO fare. Since you are on a normal fare but are not checking a bag we will charge you 50 pounds. :)

I can so see this happening :)

Globalist

That would be funny ;)

However, Miss BBA will most likely find that even 1 bag is cramping her style ;)

Anyway, the fare is still available for some dates - base fare is 2 euros, plus 64 euros taxes. In the other direction, flights are more expensive and do not show this peculiarity.