Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TP/Avios for flights booked <28 April but then changed?

Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold

Sorry if this has already been covered - I did a bit of a trawl, but couldn't find the answer so please indulge me...

Let's say I book an LCY-JFK return for September right now. that's 420 TPs and 100% Avios bonus to me as a Gold.

Now, let's say I need to amend this booking later in the year - would that 'reset' it to the new rules, i.e. 280TPs, and if I dropped back to Silver by then (god forbid, and I will be doing my best to avoid that), would it also reduce the Avios bonus?

Or does the fact the original booking was made prior to the changes mean that the original earning rates are preserved?

Thanks
RC
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Amend the booking in what way? I am not sure of the answer, but under the circumstances where one would voluntarily wish to amend a booking and pay the change fee it is because of a good reason so presumably it would not be by choice anyway.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I mean make a date change to the flight.

Reality is that I have to change a lot of my work flights because of advance booking requirements - our corp deal with BA generally allows LH changes with no change fees, and booking in advance gets the cheaper buckets...

In the circumstances, I might be booking a lot of flights in April, but equally, a number of them may need to shift dates a bit later on.

Question is whether a later date change would alter the earning rates to the 'new' levels.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Will I earn fewer Tier Points on my existing bookings?

No. Any bookings made on or before 27 April 2015 will be honoured under the current rules which means that you will still earn 50% of the Tier Points that would be earned in flexible economy for bookings made in any lowest economy fare class. Only new bookings made on or after 28 April 2015 in our lowest economy Q, O and G classes will earn 25% of the Tier Points.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...aqs#tierpoints

Seems to imply that you would retain the TPs and avios under teh existing earning rates as long as the booking was made prior to 28 April 2015. If the answer were that you get the new rates would your booking strategy be any different though?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Alitalia STE+
No. The earning rate stays the same if you change after April 28th. As long as the original booking was made prior to the date you'll be unaffected.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Excellent, thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.