Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 days only - 50% bonus on purchased Avios

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Am I mistaken, or am I getting the sense that the level of deal you get on these depends on your purchase currency?

Not a bad price in GBP, where you can max out at 52,500 for Ł575. That roughly comes out ot five one-way, one-cabin LH upgrades for Ł110 each.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by CaroFos
Can I ask if the general consensus is that it's well worth buying Avios at this rate... we're not overly flush in avios (about 350K in the HH account) but have 3 2 for 1s to burn. is this a cost-effective way of increasing the total?
Do you consider the 241 redemptions great value? If so, fill your boots.

I don't see much value in the 241s at all, with the April changes in the pipeline I'll be cancelling my BAPP.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by SCSA
where you can max out at 52,500 for Ł575. That roughly comes out ot five one-way, one-cabin LH upgrades for Ł110 each.
Q: Which cabins and routes are you flying for a) 10k to be the UuA amount, and b) for there to be availability to UuA in the first place?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: D SM, AA A, SPG, HH, MR
I was unable to make the adjustment as per what the OP mentioned. It also says that I was ineligible anyways. Maybe because my Avios total is on 0?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good job I'm not interested in buying any.

Argentine residents get charged in US$ which attracts a 35% tax.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Q: Which cabins and routes are you flying for a) 10k to be the UuA amount, and b) for there to be availability to UuA in the first place?
East coast of North America to LHR is 10k and JFK has lots of availability. If you're not too picky about dates YUL and YYZ sometimes have availability too.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: ABBA
I wish I could convert Avios to cash at that exchange rate!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al

I don't see much value in the 241s at all, with the April changes in the pipeline I'll be cancelling my BAPP.
I thought it was just me who felt that way.

They certainly helps if Avios are your only option but I would agree that BA's redemption charges ex UK to a large extent negate the benefit. As ever, YMMV.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by zkzkz
East coast of North America to LHR is 10k and JFK has lots of availability. If you're not too picky about dates YUL and YYZ sometimes have availability too.
Well, you'd better rush before it changes in two months though!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Damn! Yes, I thought of that right after I bought. Should have changed my address to France! I guess the 35,000 + 17500 points costs $988 if you have a US address, $887 with a UK address, and $753 if you have a European address. That's 1.43 cents per mile.
So the yanks get ripped off, and the frogs get a discount. Wacky! I see no reason not to change my address for 6 months and save $230+

Do you consider the 241 redemptions great value? If so, fill your boots.

Not as good as it used to be but still fewer miles than 2 saver business class awards on the competition, particularly if you want to stop in UK. In our case we will be using two 241s and will require more miles after the devaluation. So it may be the rare occasion when I am a buyer. The main issue here on the West Coast is lack of TATL award inventory in C, not price.

That being said, I may cancel my Chase BA card after we cash in for the big trip, as I now have better redemption options for CC spend.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Boraxo
So the yanks get ripped off, and the frogs get a discount. Wacky! I see no reason not to change my address for 6 months and save $230+
Well, for one thing, there is no 241 opportunity if you are a French resident. You can't have it all I guess...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
So you have to have a foreign address to buy it in euros?

I've actually got both, and both gbp and euro bank cards. I take it if I change my address to my german address, I can book in euros but are stuck with that address for 6 months?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Also, if I book my 2 for 1 before April 28th in Club, with the intention of changing to the real dates, does anyone have any idea if they keep the same Club to First upgrade avios price?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Smid
Also, if I book my 2 for 1 before April 28th in Club, with the intention of changing to the real dates, does anyone have any idea if they keep the same Club to First upgrade avios price?
Almost certainly no. This is because it is not an upgrade, technically the booking is cancelled and recreated.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Smid
Originally Posted by Raffles
Almost certainly no. This is because it is not an upgrade, technically the booking is cancelled and recreated.
Thanks Raffles. I was hoping to do this too, i.e. book both outbound and inbound for family of 4 using two companion vouchers in Club (if First not available) with dates of approx March/April 2016 ex-Man to the U.S. Then, when Sept 2015 comes around (and with it Sept 2016 reward availability) try to change the dates to Sept 2016 but also change either one or both legs to First. So will this not be possible?

Cheers
NBA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.