Wiki Posts
Search

delayed BA 208 on ex-DUB - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver

BA208 is currently delayed by 2:30. Ok it isn't due to leave for another 11 hours but I thought it would be good to get some advice.

If it lands at 12:20 as it now suggests, I can't see myself making the 13:30 to Dublin. If I'm put on the next one at 15:30 I won't make the turnaround as my return is booked for 17:30. I will have two checked bags.

Should I ask if they can short check then to LHR at MIA? If not, and I get to DUB but miss my connection back, will they put me on the next one if I ask nicely?? Obviously this is the risk of ex-EU but any advice would be great!

Any idea why the plane is delayed?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Don't know on the delay. The outbound BA207 is showing only approx 30min late arrival to MIA at 14:27, it departed LHR more or less on time.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It's the 209 that is delayed, this aircraft operates the the 208, the 209 is delayed due to a late aircaft change and a tech delay.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Is the estimated time likely to be accurate, or is there a chance it could depart sooner? Not had much experience of LH delays.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
Personally I wouldn't worry yet. Even if it was delayed and landed anytime up to 12:30 I think you'd still have a legal connection. Key thing will be to exit quickly and get through transfer conformance before about STD-35 for the DUB flight.

If you miss that flight I think BA would likely (albeit we believe without contractual obligation) alter your Dublin return flight for you.

There are many legitimate reasons why you may have needed to drop something in Dublin on the way back / meet to sign documents etc., and the original connection you booked left you time to do that. It was the delay on BA's part (for whatever reason) that caused your plan to start coming apart.

Asking to short check the bags in MIA will likely compound the issue rather than help. In some ways the best case scenario is that you make the LHR-DUB flight but your bags don't. It's then BAs job to get them back to your house and you can relax an travel home HBO. I never had an issue with short-shipped bags on the last sector as it makes my journey home from the airport hassle free and the bags usually pitch up later that day.

In summary, keep the cool, don't stress and (assuming you actually want the TPs / Avios / need to be in Dublin) just stick to your guns that you need the return changed and you should be fine.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It's the 209 that is delayed, this aircraft operates the the 208, the 209 is delayed due to a late aircaft change and a tech delay.
Thanks for correcting my error, checked the delays rather too quickly...

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Is the estimated time likely to be accurate, or is there a chance it could depart sooner? Not had much experience of LH delays.
209 is currently showing departure LHR @1600 instead of 1335, and arrival MIA 2115 (approx 3 hrs behind schedule, so guess there must also be some headwinds as the 207 also delayed even though it departed on time). Don't know how quickly they could turn it round.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Jet stream looking very perky today - so headwinds on the westward could still mean time saved eastward.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Ask the nice ladies in the ow lounge if they can just reticket you, perhaps easier for me as i was going to gla insteadof lhr and i knew i would miss my dub-gla flight, but they rebooked me direct to gla from lhr. They might be able to just rebook you to lhr.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Current estimated times:-

BA209
ETD LHR 1630 (heathrowairport.com shows Gate Open but not Boarding)
ETA MIA 2143

BA208
ETD MIA 2348
ETA LHR 1303

I believe these estimated times take the forecast winds into account.
Obviously this is the risk of ex-EU but any advice would be great!
Next time, you'll probably remember that there are ways of reducing this risk.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
I'm very interested in how this pans out. The last leg of our HNL run in August ends in DUB. We're scheduled into LHR T3 at 6:55am with the DUB flight from T5 at 11:50, arrive DUB 13:05.

I want to book on seperate ticket the 15:20 back from DUB to LHR. We'll be with luggage. I've asked on a couple of threads whether this is legal and do able without an answer. Are there any examples of BA not helping out (moving you to a later flight) when delays occur? We should have a good idea before leaving LHR if there are delays so hopefully someone there could help?

Good luck to the OP!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I mitigated risk on the way out and guess should have done so more for the return.

So in the lounge I should just ask to re ticket both LHR-DUB and the other one, DUB-LHR?

My wife is on my PNR but will just go home. That was always the plan so the bags will go with me. She doesn't have a return from DUB to LHR.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:53 am
Original Poster

I guess I could ask to be put on the 206? Having said that, that flight looked pretty busy last time I checked.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:56 am

My wife is on my PNR but will just go home. That was always the plan so the bags will go with me. She doesn't have a return from DUB to LHR.
need to make sure all the bags get checked in against you, if they put any against your wife and she is offloaded at the gate as a no-show they will need to located any baggage assigned to her record and offload which could cause delay to the flight
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Definitely. We checked in using the app with 2 bags for me and 0 for her. She will not come to the desk with me to make sure.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by essexadventurer
I want to book on seperate ticket the 15:20 back from DUB to LHR. We'll be with luggage. I've asked on a couple of threads whether this is legal and do able without an answer.
Legal? - yes, you don't appear to be breaking any laws, regulations or rules, as far as I can see.
Do-able? - yes, in normal circumstances. Bags normally get returned within 30 minutes at DUB, they are quite efficient.
Risky? - yes. A lot could go wrong, and I would only do it HBO. But everyone has a different approach to risk. The tale above illustrates would can happen, but bear in mind the worst case scenario is that you have to hang around DUB for a while and pay a walk up fare. Hopefully it won't come to that, and furthermore you can set the cost / risk factors against the cost savings involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.