delayed BA 208 on ex-DUB - advice needed

Old Feb 24, 15, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gustavmahler View Post
What would be the best strategy in future if I don't want to drop the last leg?
Your profile says you're based in London. If it's anywhere near LCY, then that is your answer. Arrive at LHR, take your bags home, go to LCY encumbered only by your passport, do a back-to-back.
Old Feb 24, 15, 8:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What would be the best strategy in future if I don't want to drop the last leg?
If you are away for less than 6 weeks, then HBO. Otherwise, I would have if necessary rigged up the Avios ticket after I got to London/Dublin, there is likely to be more availability rather than less. Moreover there's a good chance you would have been rebooked (as you were in the end) somewhere down the line, and most probably in LHR or DUB. And if all else fails, I would imagine you could have got a sub 100 fare from DUB to London with some carrier or other.

When it comes to irrops it some times pays not to be too hasty, in my experience. Aircraft are like buses, there is always another one passing by.
Old Feb 24, 15, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks, all.

I booked the Avios seat when I did because I'd seen earlier that week someone wasn't able to get one for Sunday at short notice. OK, that was different because it was the end of half term, but I wanted to be sure to get home. So, does BA open up last minute availability on these kinds of routes?

In retrospect I was too hasty! Does BA 'usually' accommodate these kinds of unprotected ticket issues? I know it's different to AA. In the end I got on exactly the same flights as my original itinerary.

Next time I would add in more of a buffer, then leave any decision as to buying an Avios fare until much later - once I know I won't make the original flight and BA won't change it.

I live in SW18, so would consider going to LCY only if I really wanted the TPs and I wanted to avoid a checked baggage fiasco. If dropping the last leg, this seems the best solution.

This was my first foray into the world of ex-EU and it's always good to learn!
Old Feb 24, 15, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Brown
"Incidentally, my wife was credited with Avios and TPs for LHR-DUB yesterday, even though she didn't fly. Never seen that happen before."

This is not a pop at the OP I can assure you, but doesn't this show how pathetic BA's IT systems are. Somebody buys a ticket using hidden city ticketing and BA credit them with the Avios and TP's for a flight they never intended to get. I have thought of ex EU but could not be bothered with the hassle, from the above there is none.

FP
Old Feb 24, 15, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I live in SW18, so would consider going to LCY only if I really wanted the TPs and I wanted to avoid a checked baggage fiasco.
As an alternative, go to LGW and do a back-to-back to AMS. You don't have to end your ex-DUB ticket in DUB; you could route yourself DUB-LHR-XXX-LHR/LGW-AMS, although you'd be best off doing this when there are sales on for both ex-DUB and ex-AMS.

Search this Thread