FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Quick rant.......newspapers in T5 lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1657071-quick-rant-newspapers-t5-lounge.html)

SWLondonflyer Feb 22, 2015 5:20 am

Quick rant.......newspapers in T5 lounge

Sunday Mirror....... Mail on Sunday.....dog earred copy of the Independent.

Really? Am I being a complete Sunday Papers snob to suggest that BA dont think anywhere near enough of their customers?

BLHD Feb 22, 2015 5:23 am

Yes, yes you are. This is only my opinion though.

(The reality is that, they go for whatever has the least cost!)

SWLondonflyer Feb 22, 2015 5:30 am

Ha - fair enough (and Im not so much of a DYKWIM to not pop down to WHSmith) but I do think that its a slight sad reflection on our favourite subject of business class 'enhancements'. But maybe I should just pipe down and have some lunch!

Calchas Feb 22, 2015 5:44 am

They only put out the papers they receive for free ;)

Internaut Feb 22, 2015 6:02 am

Originally Posted by SWLondonflyer (Post 24394386)
Ha - fair enough (and Im not so much of a DYKWIM to not pop down to WHSmith) but I do think that its a slight sad reflection on our favourite subject of business class 'enhancements'. But maybe I should just pipe down and have some lunch!

Bingo. I redcommend three courses of soup, salad and curry (assuming this aspect of the lounge hasn't been enhanced/simplified/whatever).

Hoch Feb 22, 2015 6:12 am

The quantity of papers hasn't been great for the last couple of years, or so I've noticed. Quality is a different question :)

H

Greenpen Feb 22, 2015 8:55 am

I do not go into this lounge a great deal but I always complain about no Daily Telegraph. Don't suppose it makes any difference.

They seem to have swapped the DT for the Daily Mirror. I know that many more Tesco customers are ending up in the GF but really, I think this enhancement is totally wrong. How many Golds read the Daily Mirror?

BLHD Feb 22, 2015 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen (Post 24395044)
I do not go into this lounge a great deal but I always complain about no Daily Telegraph. Don't suppose it makes any difference.

They seem to have swapped the DT for the Daily Mirror. I know that many more Tesco customers are ending up in the GF but really, I think this enhancement is totally wrong. How many Golds read the Daily Mirror?

As mentioned earlier, it's on a Cost basis, being controversial here but, on BA.com on the Criteria for Gold doesn't give a Newspaper Readership Requirement...

simons1 Feb 22, 2015 9:31 am

I believe travellers are encouraged to take the Mirror with them so that the Andrex on board can soon be enhanced.

worjackie14 Feb 22, 2015 9:44 am

I've always wondered why BA hand out the Daily Mail to its customers considering they make every effort to tear BA at any available opportunity.

Personally I don't think it will be long before there's no papers at all in Lounges. Customers will be encouraged to make use of the wifi and their tablets/laptops/smart phones.

jackr27 Feb 22, 2015 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen (Post 24395044)

Nice bit of snobbery there...

Comments like that really do say more about you than BA.

fripperies Feb 22, 2015 10:19 am

I'm with the the OP on this. At one level you could say that all that's really needed is a supply of freebies to pass the time and the titles don't matter that much because people who care enough to read a particular newspaper buy their own. However, I do think one of the small pleasures of premium travel is picking up a copy of a paper that I consider a good read but wouldn't normally buy, or don't normally have the time to read in addition to my usual daily. Recently the selection seems to have become thinner or erratic. If there isn't a copy of, say, the FT it's doesn't spoil my day but it's another little enhancement that takes the shine off things and you think 'OK, so that's what BA think of us'. These things add up.

HIDDY Feb 22, 2015 10:40 am

As the majority of people flying nowadays seem to spend their time staring at an electronic gadget I'm not surprised the variety of newspapers on offer has declined.

T8191 Feb 22, 2015 10:47 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 24395536)
As the majority of people flying nowadays seem to spend their time staring at an electronic gadget I'm not surprised the variety of newspapers on offer has declined.

One of your better comments, matey! ^

If I want to read the DT [which I do] I will buy one, in the certain knowledge that most BA Lounges don't have it. However, being a vaguely technically aware geriatric, I can read the DT [or indeed any other Media outlet] on my tablet - and that includes the Jersey Evening Post!

To SWLondonflyer ... if you care that much, buy what you want to read. They only cost a few bob. I don't expect BA to provide everything from Pravda to the Racing Post. Nor should you.

Swanhunter Feb 22, 2015 10:50 am

So long as the FT is present I can cope.