Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked twice on same flight (rev + avios)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Booked twice on same flight (rev + avios)

I have a short haul avios booking next weekend which was booked as a return. I have just had to book a work trip and the savings were significant for starting ex-eu after my holiday weekend, so I had the travel agency book the flights in that way.

So now, I am booked onto the same flight twice (both show in MMB and both are ticketed) and the way I see it, I have a few options:

1. Cancel avios booking and rebook outbound only (not feasible as there is no longer availability and cash tickets either one way or with a fake return are very expensive).

2. Fly the outbound avios and then call up and cancel the inbound more than 24 hours in advance so that I get my avios back

3. In case I forget to do (2), fly the outbound avios and then make sure that I only check in for the cash ticket on the way back to LHR

Any other ideas? As far as I know I can't cancel the inbound of my redemption before flying the outbound?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
How many Avios was your short haul?

If it were me I'd just not check in for the Avios flight and fly your full ex-EU trip so as you don't risk them cancelling any of your subsequent flights on the cash PNR.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Why can't you cancel the inbound Avios booking now, and get the miles credited now? Why wait until after departure?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
I thought if an airline detected a double booking they reserved the right to cancel one of them? Or does that not apply when the bookings aren't identical (as in your case)?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You can call up and cancel the return flight before departure (more than 24 hours before). You won't get any Avios back if you cancel it after departure.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don't think (2) is an option since you only get the avios back if you cancel the avios return booking more than 24 hrs before the first flight on that booking.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'll try calling in the next 2 days to see if I can cancel the avios return - but it's only 4500 avios and I'm prepared to lose it if that's the only option!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: BA (OW) - Silver (Sapphire), HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Platinum. Falling!!
They aren't supposed to allow duplicate bookings but their systems cannot handle it. As others have said, call them and get the avios refunded, shouldn't be a problem (or alternatively you could check in twice and guarantee yourself a free middle seat ; just remember to only scan the bp for your exEU ticket and tell the gate agent that the other "Mr x" isn't coming!")
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:13 am
Original Poster

I called and cancelled the inbound avios booking. I had to pay the change fee of 42eur, but then get the RFS 21eur refunded as well as my 4500 avios.

Well worth it in my opinion.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:18 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:18 am
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by angatol
21 Euro for 4500 avios? 3.4p/avios. Some might dispute the value of that.
Versus his initial position he is down 21 EUR with the same amount of Avios.
Still a good result though.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:39 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:38 am
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:45 am
Original Poster

It was worth it for two reasons for me - peace of mind that my ex-eu work trip wouldn't be cancelled or impacted in any way and it's not a terrible price to buy back my avios at.

Reminds me again to make sure all my short haul redemptions are one ways (or get GGL to avoid change fees!).
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:55 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.