Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Baggage through checking experiment - clever or stupid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

This is my route home:

IAD - LHR - DUB

Then on a separate ticket

DUB - LHR - MAN

I know I can't do a bag checked all the way IAD - LHR - DUB - LHR - MAN because of LHR appearing twice.

I managed to persuade the staff at Dulles to do this with my bag:

IAD - LHR - MAN

It seemed a lot of hassle for them to be honest...and I'm not entirely confident it's going to work out.

I'll post the outcome, either way...

Nigel
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Seems like a lot of flights to just get from IAD-MAN. Lol.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Welcome to the strange world of the mileage/tier point run. When flying domestic First, in the US, to retain *A-G, I actively searched for two stop options.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Will the bag be pulled (or not loaded) at DUB as OP isn't on the flight?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
Will the bag be pulled (or not loaded) at DUB as OP isn't on the flight?
From what I understand the bag will not be on any flight without the OP. That would be a security issue. The OP is taking 2 sectors more than the bag. I see no problem and no more risk than any other transfer at LHR.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:49 am

There is a major security breach with the agent in IAD doing this, as well as issues around Heathrow not having sufficient space to store bags. If the handling agent in IAD gets to hear about this "experiment", which is probable once the bag appears in the "dump chute" with an alert "sectors different to passenger itinerary", the check in agent will likely lose his/her job. I hope the OP is happy about that!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by bealine
There is a major security breach with the agent in IAD doing this, as well as issues around Heathrow not having sufficient space to store bags. If the handling agent in IAD gets to hear about this "experiment", the check in agent will likely lose his/her job. I hope the OP is happy about that!
I don't quite follow. If the OP spends eight hours going to DUB and back rather than sitting in LHR while his bag sits there how is there a security breach? If he had booked IAD-LHR-MAN with a 10 hour layover at LHR and decided the spend the 10 hours going to DUB and back the end outcome would be the same and nobody would bat an eyelid.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
If the handling agent in IAD gets to hear about this "experiment", which is probable once the bag appears in the "dump chute" with an alert "sectors different to passenger itinerary", the check in agent will likely lose his/her job. I hope the OP is happy about that!
If such a draconian outcome happened, why would it be OP's fault? If it is such a breach of the rules it is up to the agent, not the passenger, to know that and to enforce them.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ftaitr
I know I can't do a bag checked all the way IAD - LHR - DUB - LHR - MAN because of LHR appearing twice.

I managed to persuade the staff at Dulles to do this with my bag:

IAD - LHR - MAN
I doubt this will work as a standard approach, they're not supposed to do this. It may work as a one off since it presumably has the LHR-MAN flight number you are on, but I don't think this can be relied upon. Having read a number of threads with similar concerns the straightforward advice has to be if you are doing indirect routings such as via DUB either

a) Build in an airport swap (in this case IAD-LHR/LCY-DUB), or
b) Build in plenty of time at end of the main ticket, in this case DUB, so the bags can be reclaimed, or
c) Travel Hand Baggage Only, which is easiest all round.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by sigma421
I don't quite follow.
I am afraid I cannot disclose the ins and outs in case it reveals too much to those with evil intentions. I rather suspect the OP has "bullied" or "wheedled" his way into getting the agent do do something potentially dangerous. I just bloody well wish you FT'ers would just accept it when an agent says they can't do something instead of always trying to argue the toss. The agent probably didn't know what he/she was doing breaks the rules, but lack of knowledge is no defence.

You'll just have to take my word for it that the check-in agent has done something extremely stupid.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I would have thought in principle it would work as the agent probably used the IATA regulations to command the bags route even if it was contray to BAs own rules.

However, the only doubt I have is about customs. The bag won't clear customs in LHR on its first visit as you're in transit to another country. On the second visit you're coming from DUB; does this get treated to customs channels during transfer at LHR on the second visit or is the OP expected to clear the bag in arrival in MAN after thier domestic UK flight? I don't recall the prescence of such channels after my last domestic flight to MAN but they did used to be some.

Last edited by jbfield; Feb 21, 2015 at 1:30 am
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:30 am

I am afraid I cannot disclose the ins and outs in case it reveals too much to those with evil intentions. I rather suspect the OP has "bullied" or "wheedled" his way into getting the agent do do something potentially dangerous. I just bloody well wish you FT'ers would just accept it when an agent says they can't do something instead of always trying to argue the toss. The agent probably didn't know what he/she was doing breaks the rules, but lack of knowledge is no defence.

You'll just have to take my word for it that the check-in agent has done something extremely stupid.
So why does that make it the OP's fault?

In any case I don't see what the risk is, if the bag is security screened and the OP travels with the bag on each sector.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

I think you're being overly harsh to the OP. I don't doubt you're factually correct but branding FTers as bullies is a bit much.

I'm also sensing you're quite enjoying the whole 'i know something you all don't', which is also the case but really there's no need to be rude
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by Justonemore

I think you're being overly harsh to the OP. I don't doubt you're factually correct but branding FTers as bullies is a bit much.

I'm also sensing you're quite enjoying the whole 'i know something you all don't', which is also the case but really there's no need to be rude
+1

Last edited by SWISSBOBBY; Feb 21, 2015 at 2:10 am
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Justonemore

Sorry, my apologies. I assure you, I am getting no enjoyment from this. It is a similar situation to one we discussed on FT about five years ago where I did explain the rationale behind something.

The moderators at FT had to delete the posts as it could have given the wrong people ideas and we're into similar territory now.

The more you work in this industry, the more you realise that many frequent travellers can be bullies and downright nasty to ground staff in the pursuit of getting rules bent or broken. Not all FT'ers are bullies, not all frequent flyers are bullies - I didn't say they were or brand them as such, for many are perfect gentlemen and ladies - otherwise BA staff would not waste their time with Flyertalk. If anyone took offence, then I am sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.