Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Just booked a few flights… please share your advice

Old Feb 19, 15, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold

Due to the recent announced changes in BAEC, I’ve decided to make a few bookings before the deadline – I’m excited and hope I did the right thing! It’s all leisure trips with family or on my own. Please feel free to share your experience from similar trips or any suggestins. This is a fantastic forum with lots of great knowledge. I’m looking forward to contribute and give back to the community! Cheers.

ZRH-LHR same day return trip in ET (March)
We have a “no flower for Valentine’s day” policy at home. Instead I’ll take my wife for a shopping day to London. Dang it - now I realize I should have bought some flowers instead
On the return journey I’ll introduce her to the GC lounge and even though it’s the lowest tier lounge, it is still a decent spot to kick back with a glass of bubbly and some snacks!

ZRH-LHR-HEL weekend return in CE (April)
Mini TP run and I’ll be travelling on my own. This is to eat seafood in HEL and rack up TPs to re-qualify for Silver. I’ll post a trip report, incl. LHR T3 and HEL lounges.

ZRH-LHR-SAN family (of four) vacation, travel in WT (October)
A bit scared of this trip as it will be the first long-haul with both kids (5 and 1 year old). Though I could secure three rather good seats (1 year old is lap infant), I’m aware that it’s going to be a long trip which can exhaust Mum and Dad. The 5 year old should be fine as long as she can watch movies. Also looking forward to the kids bag and do they still have the nibble box in the back of the plane? Any experience you can share on how to make a long trip as relaxing as possible (this can include drugs for the kids, ha ha) is much appreciated. Daddy and the 5 year old will quickly check out the lounges in ZRH and LHR and maybe sneak a pack of crisps.

ZRH-LHR-GLA weekend return booked with Avios in ET (December)
Again this will be just me travelling. This is to take advantage of the domestic UK flights which won’t be included after April 28th bookings. On my bucket list: Glenlivet Snug in GLA. Any must see in Glasgow? I will only stay one night and I love fresh seafood.

Thanks for reading!
Old Feb 19, 15, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
All sounds good, I have done a fair bit of advanced planning myself - trips I would likely have done most of anyway but see me net +30k avios vs the earning post Apr 28th.

GLA is a nice place, I travel there frequently, though the Glenlivet snug with its fake fire is perhaps overrated! I would call out the upstairs bar at the Blythswood Square hotel as being worthy of a visit for pre-dinner cocktails, and for dinner itself I have always enjoyed Chaopraya (thai), Gamba and Rogano (both fish), and the Grill on the Corner (steak etc). For cultural activities Kelvingrove Museum is very good, and also do not forget to put a traffic cone on the statue of Wellington if by some rare chance it should be missing one!
Old Feb 19, 15, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
San Diego is a lovely place- Have you decided where you are staying ? We went via LAX and drove down and stayed in a rented house in the Pacific Beach area with a fantastic view of the Bay and the departures from SAN.
With small children we found that the flights went well and they take it in their stride--good luck !
A day trip over to Coronado via the bridge was great and what a fanstatic beach--with some great flight movements in and out of the Navy Base there. A day trip up to La Jolla was good and the kids would like the seals and sea lions lying on the rocks but maybe not the smell !
Old Feb 19, 15, 2:25 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Consider visiting Windsor instead of London on your day trip?
Old Feb 20, 15, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold
Thanks for your advice!
We will only stay in SAN for the weekend and then move around. Coronado sounds great, we'll pencil that in our agenda! As for the LON day trip, our plans will bring us to Queensmere Observatory in Slough and if still time left we'll visit Windsor - great tip though! Happy weekend to all!

Search this Thread