LGW - LPA - route cancelled?

Old Feb 19, 15, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond

Just received emails from BA informing me that all my flights from LGW to LPA have been cancelled. Does anyone know if the route has been dropped or just days of operation changed?
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Rewards Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, Tesco Clubcard

cancelled, more flights to Faro instead
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:26 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
But I don't want to go to Faro.
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Aargh. How annoying.
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Was this a new route? If so they didn't give it much of a chance!! I do however want to got to Faro more than GC, so no complaints from me!!
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:45 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Is the route cancelled in full or just certain days? The app allows me to book for some days such as Saturdays.
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue ivory
I was booked on LGW-LPA in November and got the cancellation email.

Just phoned BA and they have moved the route to LHR instead. So there is now a weekly LHR-LPA throughout the winter timetable, whereas previously it was LGW more frequently. LHR service runs every Saturday only.

They let me switch my flight to LPA-LHR instead, but it's shortened our holiday by 2 days. Annoying.
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:55 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Well paint me surprised. I didn't think BA would fly to any of the Canary Islands - the LCCs own those routes. Sill, could make for a pleasant winter tier point run, in CE....

I think Finnair will fly there (they certainly fly Lanzarote). You could go via HEL, for more Avios and TPs.
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:55 am

I believe IB Express will be flying this route 4 times a week from end of March. It's at LHR (and I think somehow in T5!)
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by andrew72 View Post
I was booked on LGW-LPA in November and got the cancellation email.

Just phoned BA and they have moved the route to LHR instead. So there is now a weekly LHR-LPA throughout the winter timetable, whereas previously it was LGW more frequently. LHR service runs every Saturday only.

They let me switch my flight to LPA-LHR instead, but it's shortened our holiday by 2 days. Annoying.
How do these cancellations work? Is it like they're breaking a contract? I imagine they can do what they want but giving you a full refund isn't quite like putting you in the same position you were already in as prices on other carriers will have likely risen.

Or like in your case they have shortened your holiday by 2 days, which is obviously annoying.

I know i'm not a lawyer but it really does seem wrong that they can cancel when they want
Old Feb 19, 15, 7:13 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
Well paint me surprised. I didn't think BA would fly to any of the Canary Islands - the LCCs own those routes. Sill, could make for a pleasant winter tier point run, in CE....
BA flies to:
LPA
ACE
FUE
TFS
Old Feb 19, 15, 7:24 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by nux View Post
BA flies to:
LPA
ACE
FUE
TFS
Surprised - I've never seen BA metal at ACE. It's always been monolithically LCC's, charters and Finnair. Is it a weekly flight? Lanzarote has become an annual winter holiday for me. I'd normally use Easyjet or Jet2, but if I ever needed the tier points...
Old Feb 19, 15, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post

I think Finnair will fly there (they certainly fly Lanzarote). You could go via HEL, for more Avios and TPs.
You need to read Highlife more often, they go to most of them, as well as Funchal! I've previously managed to get CE returns in the sales for 270-300, and certainly Tenerife was very pleasant indeed in late November. There is a risk of G-MEDK of course, but really this isn't so different to the rest of the fleet any more.
Old Feb 19, 15, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold GL, EY Gold, AZ Alata Plus.
Originally Posted by jonas123 View Post
I believe IB Express will be flying this route 4 times a week from end of March. It's at LHR (and I think somehow in T5!)
Correct. IB Express will fly LHR-Gran Canaria departing at 17:05 on Mon, weds, Fri and Sat. And to Tenerife on the days Gran Canaria does not fly (same departure time though).

The flights will offer Business and Economy (BOB) and operate from T5.
Old Feb 19, 15, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC silver
I've flown LGW-TFS return twice in the last couple of months and on all 4 flights 9 rows of CE were full. It appears to be a route that's doing ok with wealthier retirees on holiday flights.

Search this Thread