FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LGW - LPA - route cancelled? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1656271-lgw-lpa-route-cancelled.html)

cme17 Feb 19, 2015 5:16 am

LGW - LPA - route cancelled?

Just received emails from BA informing me that all my flights from LGW to LPA have been cancelled. Does anyone know if the route has been dropped or just days of operation changed?

CocktailLounge Feb 19, 2015 5:21 am

cancelled, more flights to Faro instead

tuff Feb 19, 2015 5:26 am

But I don't want to go to Faro.

bafan Feb 19, 2015 5:41 am

Aargh. How annoying.

snuffi Feb 19, 2015 5:44 am

Was this a new route? If so they didn't give it much of a chance!! I do however want to got to Faro more than GC, so no complaints from me!!

paul4040 Feb 19, 2015 5:45 am

Is the route cancelled in full or just certain days? The app allows me to book for some days such as Saturdays.

andrew72 Feb 19, 2015 5:51 am

I was booked on LGW-LPA in November and got the cancellation email.

Just phoned BA and they have moved the route to LHR instead. So there is now a weekly LHR-LPA throughout the winter timetable, whereas previously it was LGW more frequently. LHR service runs every Saturday only.

They let me switch my flight to LPA-LHR instead, but it's shortened our holiday by 2 days. Annoying.

Internaut Feb 19, 2015 5:55 am

Well paint me surprised. I didn't think BA would fly to any of the Canary Islands - the LCCs own those routes. Sill, could make for a pleasant winter tier point run, in CE....

I think Finnair will fly there (they certainly fly Lanzarote). You could go via HEL, for more Avios and TPs.

jonas123 Feb 19, 2015 5:55 am

I believe IB Express will be flying this route 4 times a week from end of March. It's at LHR (and I think somehow in T5!)

Justonemore Feb 19, 2015 5:56 am

Originally Posted by andrew72 (Post 24377741)
I was booked on LGW-LPA in November and got the cancellation email.

Just phoned BA and they have moved the route to LHR instead. So there is now a weekly LHR-LPA throughout the winter timetable, whereas previously it was LGW more frequently. LHR service runs every Saturday only.

They let me switch my flight to LPA-LHR instead, but it's shortened our holiday by 2 days. Annoying.

How do these cancellations work? Is it like they're breaking a contract? I imagine they can do what they want but giving you a full refund isn't quite like putting you in the same position you were already in as prices on other carriers will have likely risen.

Or like in your case they have shortened your holiday by 2 days, which is obviously annoying.

I know i'm not a lawyer but it really does seem wrong that they can cancel when they want

nux Feb 19, 2015 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 24377751)
Well paint me surprised. I didn't think BA would fly to any of the Canary Islands - the LCCs own those routes. Sill, could make for a pleasant winter tier point run, in CE....

BA flies to:
LPA
ACE
FUE
TFS

Internaut Feb 19, 2015 6:24 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 24377812)
BA flies to:
LPA
ACE
FUE
TFS

Surprised - I've never seen BA metal at ACE. It's always been monolithically LCC's, charters and Finnair. Is it a weekly flight? Lanzarote has become an annual winter holiday for me. I'd normally use Easyjet or Jet2, but if I ever needed the tier points...

snuffi Feb 19, 2015 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 24377751)

I think Finnair will fly there (they certainly fly Lanzarote). You could go via HEL, for more Avios and TPs.

You need to read Highlife more often, they go to most of them, as well as Funchal! I've previously managed to get CE returns in the sales for £270-£300, and certainly Tenerife was very pleasant indeed in late November. There is a risk of G-MEDK of course, but really this isn't so different to the rest of the fleet any more.

108912 Feb 19, 2015 6:38 am

Originally Posted by jonas123 (Post 24377752)
I believe IB Express will be flying this route 4 times a week from end of March. It's at LHR (and I think somehow in T5!)

Correct. IB Express will fly LHR-Gran Canaria departing at 17:05 on Mon, weds, Fri and Sat. And to Tenerife on the days Gran Canaria does not fly (same departure time though).

The flights will offer Business and Economy (BOB) and operate from T5.

Swampz64 Feb 19, 2015 6:45 am

I've flown LGW-TFS return twice in the last couple of months and on all 4 flights 9 rows of CE were full. It appears to be a route that's doing ok with wealthier retirees on holiday flights.