Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGW - LPA - route cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:01 am

I would definitely "push" for a connection via MAD, I2 on short flights is just about ok, but not on a 4 hour + flight.
Plus don't forget, if you are booked in Economy, it's buy on board -and so it is on IB from MAD to LPA.
I know BA is not offering a gourmet meal, but at least you get a sandwich (for now) and free drinks.

Also not sure how lounge access works for SCH/GCH flying I2 Economy? Maybe someone can shed light on that.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Flier74
I would definitely "push" for a connection via MAD, I2 on short flights is just about ok, but not on a 4 hour + flight.
Plus don't forget, if you are booked in Economy, it's buy on board -and so it is on IB from MAD to LPA.
I know BA is not offering a gourmet meal, but at least you get a sandwich (for now) and free drinks.

Also not sure how lounge access works for SCH/GCH flying I2 Economy? Maybe someone can shed light on that.
Agree about 4 hour flight in I2 economy, but business class is ok, in fact slightly better legroom than enhanced CE.

I've never had a problem using lounges when flying I2 economy, but have always been booked on either a BA or IB flight number. However, according to OW website, as I2 is an affiliate of IB, you should get the "full range of oneworld services and benefits", so maybe that also applies to I2 flight number.

http://www.oneworld.com/member-airli...ine-affiliates
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Agree about 4 hour flight in I2 economy, but business class is ok, in fact slightly better legroom than enhanced CE.

I've never had a problem using lounges when flying I2 economy, but have always been booked on either a BA or IB flight number. However, according to OW website, as I2 is an affiliate of IB, you should get the "full range of oneworld services and benefits", so maybe that also applies to I2 flight number.

That's good to know thanks, not that I am planning to fly I2 soon, but you never know.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
However, according to OW website, as I2 is an affiliate of IB, you should get the "full range of oneworld services and benefits", so maybe that also applies to I2 flight number.

I flew them a few weeks back and have done a few times recently. I2 offer good service in both classes. Luggage allowance/lounge access as if you were flying with IB proper. Sectors I have done DUB-MAD/MAD-TFN/MAD-LPA. I personally would not have an issue flying them LHR-LPA in either classes. If people are worried about BOB then just eat in the lounge before. ^
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
LGW - Gran Canaria route pulled before it gets started…?

A friend of mine has just told me that a lady from BA rang him and told him his flight to Gran Canaria in May was cancelled. She told him the route wasn't going to operate. Has anyone else had the same experience? I told him to rebook via LHR with the new 4 times a week Iberia Express service.

What does that say about BA's boast of 'our biggest ever leisure programme from Gatwick in 2015"?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC
<deleted as threads merged>

Last edited by GSTBK; Mar 2, 2015 at 5:18 pm
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:10 pm

It was meant to start in April wasn't it? And run through the summer season, as the LHR route takes a break until the winter sun season starts again. I looked for flights in June and couldn't see any. I nearly bought a GC BA holiday myself for August.

My friend has been told his avios will be refunded in 7 days.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by jonas123
I believe IB Express will be flying this route 4 times a week from end of March. It's at LHR (and I think somehow in T5!)
This is correct, and in fact the number of flights per week has increased since this was announced (Iberia Express: LHR).

Where this leaves the LHR BA route for the winter sun market is anyone's guess…
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut
Surprised - I've never seen BA metal at ACE. It's always been monolithically LCC's, charters and Finnair. Is it a weekly flight? Lanzarote has become an annual winter holiday for me. I'd normally use Easyjet or Jet2, but if I ever needed the tier points...
ACE is twice a week. I went on a long weekend just before the February half term and it was very pleasant. Thursday out was totally full (8 rows of Club) and half empty on the way back on the Sunday.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Thursday is the usual change over day in Lanzarote....... Has been for many years.....
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
ACE is twice a week. I went on a long weekend just before the February half term and it was very pleasant. Thursday out was totally full (8 rows of Club) and half empty on the way back on the Sunday.
Thursdays are the days to avoid if possible the airport becomes packed. Between 12-4 the departure hall is full of passengers checking in for every UK city you can imagine. Then of course you have the normal traffic too. The new departures (security) area has really helped the bottle neck though. The new VIP lounge is coming along too and BA CE passengers will have access once complete. It even has a viewing terrace.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC
Does anyone know for sure why the route from LGW has actually been cancelled?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:56 pm

We winter in Gran Canaria and have used both BA from LGW and Thomson from a local airport.

After experiencing that BA ex BMI A320 with one toilet in Y for 100 pax, the worst inflight snacks ever and sched arriving late at LGW then watch the CC exit faster than the pax my wife said never again!

Out of the blue, BA publish a daily ex LHR- great. No, not really.

Seems they will be operated by Iberia Express for Iberia for BA!
Leaves GC in the am and returns late at night to LPA. Might just get a car if still open.
Next ring BA and ask about bags. Ring Madrid says BA call centre! What?

Ah, email saying flt now arrives after all facilities closed at LPA. No car hire so a night at airport hotel.

By now I've lost all hope. Idly checking the BA website, some daily flights missing, including mine. Ring BA, this will kill you. "Your flt is full so its not listed anymore" What?

I'll give it a rest and come back to it later. New passport arrives. Will go to "manage my booking" and put in new details. Oh no-" Your outbound flight is cancelled". No email to tell me. Get a refund.

When the schedule was announced I had a gut feeling that their plans wouldn't work going from one a week ex LGW to daily from LHR with LPA arrival times akin to inclusive tour operaters from the 1960's!

I've been well and truly bu**ered by BA at some cost.

Toodle pip,
SFD
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Straightfeed
We winter in Gran Canaria and have used both BA from LGW and Thomson from a local airport.

After experiencing that BA ex BMI A320 with one toilet in Y for 100 pax, the worst inflight snacks ever and sched arriving late at LGW then watch the CC exit faster than the pax my wife said never again!

Leaves GC in the am and returns late at night to LPA. Might just get a car if still open.

Ah, email saying flt now arrives after all facilities closed at LPA. No car hire so a night at airport hotel.

By now I've lost all hope. Idly checking the BA website, some daily flights missing, including mine. Ring BA, this will kill you. "Your flt is full so its not listed anymore" What?

I'll give it a rest and come back to it later. New passport arrives. Will go to "manage my booking" and put in new details. Oh no-" Your outbound flight is cancelled". No email to tell me. Get a refund.

When the schedule was announced I had a gut feeling that their plans wouldn't work going from one a week ex LGW to daily from LHR with LPA arrival times akin to inclusive tour operaters from the 1960's!

Toodle pip,
SFD
Welcome to FT Straightfeed. You've obviously had a bit of a frustrating experience with this one, and it is one of the more annoying features of BA that thy don't tell you immediately (or sometimes at all) when flights change or cancel. If you fly much on BA, the MyFlights app is recommended, it will tell you anytime something changes on a BA flight that you have registered with the app.

There is also a BA-operated weekly service LHR-LPA-LHR on Saturdays during the winter (BA488/9), which is at slightly more sociable hours than the I2-operated flight.

BTW, the I2-operated flight doesn't leave LPA in the morning, it leaves at 13:45 and has a pretty standard 50 min turnaround at LHR. It does arrive LPA at 23:20, which is not ideal but maybe some car rental companies would still be open (I've only ever been through LPA in the middle of the day, so not sure). I'm not sure I'd consider those times like a 1960s charter, but everyone has a different view and I would suspect some of these newer routes might have had restricted choice of slots.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Straightfeed

Toodle pip,
SFD
Welcome to FlyerTalk

Just to say, Iberia Express is worse than BA in economy. No free bar or food!

Good luck with your vacation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.