Open Jaw Question

Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold,
Open Jaw Question

I'm trying to put together an itinerary to the far east from LHR that brings us home via DXB.

I'm aware that the Open Jaw means that in an itinerary of A-B, B-C, C-A, the B-C element must be less distance than either A-B or C-A. No problems there.

I'm trying to book LHR-BKK then DXB- LHR. This would work in principle as BKK -DXB is shorter than either of the other distances.

In reality I'm struggling to find redemption on LHR-BKK but am being offered LHR-BKK via HKG as one ticket.

In terms of the open jaw, would the suggested routing class BKK as being the destination or would it be HKG because that's where you get to on BA metal?

HKG is further to DXB than DXB to LHR so the open jaw won't be accepted if that's the case but I just wondered if because it's done as one ticket through BA (albeit HKG - BKK being on CX) whether for the purpose of the open Jaw, BKK is the destination.

That would mean a BA booking of:

LHR - BKK (Via HKG)
DXB - LHR

I should add I'm intending to use a 241 which may or may not complicate matters.

Many thanks
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:28 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Stuckdowntheback
I'm aware that the Open Jaw means that in an itinerary of A-B, B-C, C-A, the B-C element must be less distance than either A-B or C-A. No problems there.
This is only relevant when using a BA 241.

Originally Posted by Stuckdowntheback
In reality I'm struggling to find redemption on LHR-BKK but am being offered LHR-BKK via HKG as one ticket.

In terms of the open jaw, would the suggested routing class BKK as being the destination or would it be HKG because that's where you get to on BA metal?
You cannot include other carriers on a BA 241 award booking, so you would need to book LHR-HKG // DXB-LHR on BA using the 241, and separately book HKG-BKK on CX. This would also mean you are not protected for delays arriving in HKG causing you to miss the CX flight.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by nux
This is only relevant when using a BA 241.

You cannot include other carriers on a BA 241 award booking, so you would need to book LHR-HKG // DXB-LHR on BA using the 241, and separately book HKG-BKK on CX. This would also mean you are not protected for delays arriving in HKG causing you to miss the CX flight.
And as noted by the OP this will not be an acceptable open-jaw routing.
Code:
LHR (5128'39"N 027'41"W) HKG (2218'32"N 11354'53"E) 57.5  (NE) 58.5  (NE) 5994 mi 
HKG (2218'32"N 11354'53"E) DXB (2515'10"N 5521'52"E) 285.6  (W) 288.2  (W) 3684 mi 
DXB (2515'10"N 5521'52"E) LHR (5128'39"N 027'41"W) 317.2  (NW) 315.3  (NW) 3421 mi 

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.