Aargh! API is driving me crazy!

Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Aargh! API is driving me crazy!

For the 3rd flight in a month online check in is demanding my passport details and claiming not to have them. I have had enough - no OLCI for me this time round. Why does this keep happening? Please, please someone - make it stop.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:16 pm

Take a deep breath and pour yourself a nice glass of wine.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I'm trying to checkin on a UA flight, first time I'm flying them LH to the US. I'm beginning to think that the BA website is paradise in comparison to UA's.
It insists on having a contact phone number but is incapable of accepting mine, whatever format I try (I suspect it's limited to accepting US phone numbers). It won't remember my passport information, doesn't accept the US address I try and enter. I've given up, let the airport checkin staff cope with the problem, I can't be bothered anymore.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
gypseyjaney: I have had repeated API issues within MMB for the last year on four or five LH flights to the US. Interestingly not on any SH flights within Europe. I have spent some time on the phone with customer service and have been told about various systems at the airport that are not in synch with those on MMB. I have never been denied OCLI because sometime after the T-72 [but, critically, before T-24] the data that I know is in the MMB record does get "approved" [my words]. The phone calls I have had inferred that my US passport presents a challenge somewhere in API part of MMB where it is looking for a first US address on arrival but obviously doesn't ask me for it as it knows I am a US citizen. I'm not sure about this as there must be a huge amount of US citizens travelling UK-US who don't get this bug. I might also add that on my SH European hops I use my Irish passport. Quietly I wonder if the system is aware of that and a conflict is somehow showing up which makes API unhappy.

Have you always been able to OCLI in the end or are you prevented? Agreed, it is annoying to see the API alert every time you're in MMB but if it does resolve itself I guess one should have that glass of whatever and not stress too much. Many many many bugs in good ol' ba.com
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: BA GGL
Perceived wisdom is that if you have put the details into the website and it still thinks it wants something from you, when you arrive at the airport with all the correct documentation everything will be fine.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
IIRC, there are some routes on which the foreign government's rules require that you must re-enter your API during OLCI if you want to get as far as getting a BP, even if the API is already in the booking.

No big deal if you don't - you simply can't get a BP until you get to the airport, or change your seat later on OLCI.

I'm not sure why this would drive anyone .
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
For the 3rd flight in a month online check in is demanding my passport details and claiming not to have them. I have had enough - no OLCI for me this time round. Why does this keep happening? Please, please someone - make it stop.
I think we just have to accept that the website isn't one of the most functional. My current is the mass of red corrections, connections and cancellations when I log on. They have all been resolved, and yet .......
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While ba.com is far from perfect a brief visit to TK's shambles of a website will make you very glad for MMB, iPhone BP's and whole host of other functionality.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
I fully appreciate that functionality Swanhunter and fear because it already does so much that I want it to do more and do it faultlessly!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
As some of you have correctly observed, the real annoyance is that it will not let me do OLCI unless I keep on entering my details each time. So unless I do this it's no seat selection for me. If not for this, I would just ignore it. This has only started happening to me recently and I have a British passport, so I don't know what has happened to upset it. I guess it's the Customer Service route for me if it persists.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:52 pm

Where are you flying to? Some routes demand the details be entered every time - eg SA. Live with it, it's not that big a deal?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
As some of you have correctly observed, the real annoyance is that it will not let me do OLCI unless I keep on entering my details each time. So unless I do this it's no seat selection for me.
If your route requires API to be entered into the booking, it has always been the case that you're not allowed to OLCI until you have entered the API. This has not changed.

The thing that might have changed is if your API was previously being automatically populated from your BAEC profile, but your passport has expired. I don't know what happens when this occurs, but it may be that the auto-population stops so that you have to enter your API manually again.

It could also be that you're now flying different routes, because API requirements are different on different routes.

There are some routes that also always require the API to be re-entered after you've picked your seat and checked-in, if you want to print a boarding pass (or be able to see the seat map again and change your seat if you don't print a boarding pass). You can't get around this. You just have to do it.
I guess it's the Customer Service route for me if it persists.
Customer Service won't be able to do anything about it if you must enter API and you haven't done so.

Anyway, what is the big deal about putting in your API? Why is it so hard? I have to do it so often that I have memorised all my passport details and all those of my companion.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
While ba.com is far from perfect a brief visit to TK's shambles of a website will make you very glad for MMB, iPhone BP's and whole host of other functionality.
+1. In fact +100.
I had to input all thew data for my brother in law, his wife and 2 kids last year. TK's website nearly brought me to tears...

To the OP: have you acquired a new passport recently?
Mrs FD and I had similar issues until we updated our passport information in the main EC account. OLCI does not seem to save it to there properly it seems.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by catandmouse
I'm trying to checkin on a UA flight, first time I'm flying them LH to the US. I'm beginning to think that the BA website is paradise in comparison to UA's.
It insists on having a contact phone number but is incapable of accepting mine, whatever format I try (I suspect it's limited to accepting US phone numbers). It won't remember my passport information, doesn't accept the US address I try and enter. I've given up, let the airport checkin staff cope with the problem, I can't be bothered anymore.
That's exactly what it is. One of our household was stranded during an UA IRROPS event a few years back as the phone system would not accept an incoming call from a non US number. This was on s full fare C/J ticket. UA exec offices contacted us a week letter after an email complaint, but could not comprehend the problem, years later it's clesrly not fixed.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Totally agree, TK, are not the only ones, EY's is a joke as is LH's, I actually like BA's systems, as they do actually work (well for me anyway , i may have just jinxed this..)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.