Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do other OneWorld carriers offer something similar to POUG (work trip to Indonesia)

Do other OneWorld carriers offer something similar to POUG (work trip to Indonesia)

Old Feb 18, 15, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Dear all,

I will be travelling to Surabaya with work in a few months. We have a blanket policy that all travel must be in economy and booked through a corporate TA.

I would like, if possible, to pay the extra to upgrade to WT+ or CW (or equivalent). If I travel BA to SIN or HKG (I fly out three days before the KUL route launches), I can hope for a POUG via MMB about 3 days out. However, there are other options. One world options seem to be MH via KUL or CX via HKG. Other alliance options I think would be SQ via SIN or Garuda via Jakarta.

I would prefer to stick with Oneworld for tier points, but that is only really relevent if there is a chance of flying in J. I thus have two questions:

1) Do any of these airlines have a facility like the MMB POUG (or a different way of offering discounted upgrades?). I have googled but failed to answer this question.
2) If the answer to (1) is no, are the chances of a BA POUG so slim that I should opt for SQ economy instead?

Many thanks for any input on either question

Thdw
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
On MH, have a read of this thread - you have to "bid" for an upgrade.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...one-tried.html
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks KenJohn - I see that CX trialled a similar system but it seems to have stopped. If I end up going MH I'll keep an eye out for that.

Last edited by Thdw; Feb 18, 15 at 9:11 am Reason: autocorrect correction
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:29 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
The last time I flew to SUB was 1.5 years ago on CX. I had booked an H fare/Y class and was offered via e-mail an upgrade to PEY about three or four days before the flight for the humungous amount of 41 so snapped it up and got the TPs and Avios. Unfortunately CX on the HKG-SUB route commands direct flights and whilst looking for an upcoming trip in a few weeks and pricing up PEY for a PEK-SUB flight, prices were coming in at around 2100 so have had to slum it in Y.

I don't know if they still offer the e-mail upgrade offers but if I receive one (here's hoping) I will let you know.

ETA: Do you have OW status? I have had quite a good op-up rate with CX on the HKG-SUB route as OWS/OWE (that's me probably gone and jinxed that now).

Safe & Happy travels

S

Last edited by Saltire74; Feb 18, 15 at 9:32 am Reason: Edit to Add
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For CX you can generally pay to upgrade to the next class up at the airport, however it won't be a bargain, merely a fair difference. They do not do POUG or AUPs any more.

For MAS, almost certainly you won't get extra TPs or Avios. In addition to the website offers, they are fairly cash desperate at the moment, so there are signs up in lounges and check in desks encouraging you to pay fairly modest sums to go to Business class. But you typically won't get any extra TPs / Avios, and indeed you may have to claim for the underlying ticket's entitlement too.

Singapore Economy looks (from a distance!) quite cosy and a good way to get to know your fellow travellers. Their prestige comes further forward in their aircraft.
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Not of relevance to the Op but AA do email POUG where available. No TPs for those either.
Old Feb 18, 15, 2:59 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Ouch.. Surabaya in economy...? I think I would refuse to go, that must be 16-18 hours from UK with transit and a Ukraine detour!
Old Feb 18, 15, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Singapore Economy looks (from a distance!) quite cosy and a good way to get to know your fellow travellers. Their prestige comes further forward in their aircraft.
SQ Y on the A380 is a better product than BA by a margin. Better food, better service, better seat and you can pay to reserve exit rows in advance. Sure it's not CW, but then CW isn't SQ J . But if you need the Avios and TPs, this won't help.
Old Feb 18, 15, 4:16 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
When I did it last, I flew WTP to HKG and had a night stop. Although possible to get a through ticket as a BA codeshare on CX (i) I find the transit time is just a little too tight for my liking considering most of the BA25 flights I've taken have often arrived late and (ii) when pricing this itinerary up, the codeshare on CX I feel hyperinflates the price. The only reason I had the PEY flight to SUB was through the e-mail offer (and upgrade return).

I think codeshares to CGK may come in cheaper or even a standalone ticket HKG-CGK and you would get the same TP's and Avios as SUB. They also have the added benefit of more flights per day and then a domestic Garuda flight to get to SUB (1hr 10min and GA's timekeeping has drastically improved over the past few years).

If your company are insisting on Y travel for that distance, then might not be a bad idea to try for a night stop in HKG.

Safe & Happy travels. Enjoy your time in Indonesia. I'm off to see the long haired general in 3.5 weeks. Can't wait (apart from the Imigrasi zoo at Juanda )

S
Old Feb 18, 15, 4:17 pm

Programs: RJ Emerald
Not an airlne listed above,but RJ offers option town (upgrade bidding scheme),i hope that the below prices would be useful.
ROUTE MIN MAX OFFER CHANCE
LHR-AMM 675USD-1300USD 675=LOW CHANCE
AMM-HKG 585USD-800USD 585=70% CHANCE
HKG-AMM 595USD-850USD 595=70% CHANCE
KUL-AMM 630USD-850USD 630=70% CHANCE
AMM-LHR 675USD-1130USD 675=LOW CHANCE
AMM-BKK 540USD-770USD 540=70% CHANCE
Old Feb 19, 15, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies; for reassurance, I had already negotiated a night stopover in whichever city the long haul leg arrives in!

These are all useful points. At present I think I am most likely to aim for a late flight on BA to SIN or HKG, spend the evening/night enjoying one of my two favourite cities and then continue the next day. I will hope for a POUG or airport upgrade, but will use expertflyer and my silver status to target a flight where I can reserve as good an economy seat as possible.

My second options will be either (i) SQ on an A380 flight and accept that I will certainly be in economy or (ii) MH for the interest of a new airline (to me), A380, possible upgrade and a visit to KUL. I haven't decided between the relative merits of these two yet!

If I travel BA, it appears I have the option of the A380 (HKG) 777 or 747 (SIN) depending on my exact date/flight choices. My inkling is that economy will be just about the same in all three; can anyone shed any light on the POUG chances by plane on either of these very busy routes?

Thanks again

Thdw
Old Feb 22, 15, 9:13 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Have a look for the promo discounts on GA89 LGW to Jakarta, then book a full fare economy, and pay the difference.

For example, going the other way to Amsterdam, I have booked full fare economy at around $1900, then got the $3250 discount business and paid cash for the difference. GA in business is quite good.
Old Feb 22, 15, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KenJohn View Post
On MH, have a read of this thread - you have to "bid" for an upgrade.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...one-tried.html
MH don't seem to allow TA tickets to work via their upgrade bid system.
Old Feb 22, 15, 9:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I would reccomend Thdw to fly LHR-HKG-TPE and then TPE-HKG-SUB on BA and CX. Better POUG options
Old Feb 23, 15, 2:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Thdw View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies; for reassurance, I had already negotiated a night stopover in whichever city the long haul leg arrives in!

These are all useful points. At present I think I am most likely to aim for a late flight on BA to SIN or HKG, spend the evening/night enjoying one of my two favourite cities and then continue the next day. I will hope for a POUG or airport upgrade, but will use expertflyer and my silver status to target a flight where I can reserve as good an economy seat as possible.

My second options will be either (i) SQ on an A380 flight and accept that I will certainly be in economy or (ii) MH for the interest of a new airline (to me), A380, possible upgrade and a visit to KUL. I haven't decided between the relative merits of these two yet!

If I travel BA, it appears I have the option of the A380 (HKG) 777 or 747 (SIN) depending on my exact date/flight choices. My inkling is that economy will be just about the same in all three; can anyone shed any light on the POUG chances by plane on either of these very busy routes?

Thanks again

Thdw
This seems a sensible approach due to your Silver status. For anybody doing this without status and the possibility of reserving an acceptable seat, SQ would win in Y every time, regardless of aircraft type. BA in Y when you have to take pot-luck on seat can be miserable.

Search this Thread