Wiki Posts
Search

BA flight on US metal - impressed.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
BA flight on US metal - impressed.

During the last few years I have remained loyal and tried to fly the flag whenever possible, I had a brief fling with Virgin but their lack of routes made the relationship unsustainable.

Yesterday I flew a BA booked flight on US Airways LHR-CLT in Economy, got to say I was impressed with the product in comparison to my BA Econ flights back and forth over the pond. My first long haul on US for maybe 2+ years.
I have obviously become accustomed and conditioned to the BA, tired and worn out seats, the small bad quality IFE screen, the food particles in crevices. The cream dim lighting that gives the impression of nicotine stains from the old days.

And so it was really noticeable to me that yesterday I had a spacious, light and airy, clean cabin. IFE system that you could actually view and a generally better standard of well being for 9 hours.

The US plane was not a new generation, it was a fairly old plane but the sooner BA gets rid of the battered old fleet the better - it is doing it self no favours. I have no qualms about changing carrier again.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Unfortunately BA doesn't seem to have a strategy that makes sense to anyone; just a constant downward spiral... I assumed that the introduction of the A380 would have been a turning point, but it never happened. Perhaps it's time for a change of leadership and a rebirth... Sadly, I only fly BA when the schedule is more convenient then others (taking the BA15/16), a lot of other airlines feature further up the list, particularly in J.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:14 am

I agree with many of your sentiments. I've done 3 TATL sectors in US Y in recent months and had very good service and clean planes. In particular I found the food to be a very pleasant surprise.

Sadly, I find their Y seat really uncomfortable. I'm not sure why but I find that my legs go numb very easily and I end up wriggling quite a lot just to maintain circulation. It's not good for me and I'm sure it's not great for my near neighbours. I'm not sure why as I've not had problems on other carriers.

After the first one where my bum/legs were numb before take off (we did sit for quite a while at the gate) I thought it must have been a one off, but having had a similar experience on my latest flight I've decided I'm better sticking with BA, grubs and all.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
US will soon start a day flight PHL-LHR which will be a very useful additional option because it will allow same day connections from large areas of the USA not possible using BA.

Looks like it will be a 757 which isn't great but good for those like me who don't enjoy night flights.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
I've had several TATLs on 757s from Glasgow to Newark and Philly; it is not a pleasant experience. Old aircraft, and not a lot of room. At least the flights were direct and I could avoid a shuttle to Heathrow or Gatwick, so maybe I shouldn't complain.
In the past AA and AirCanada ran 767s to Chicago and Toronto direct form Glasgow, that was much better.
Virgin run 747s to Vegas and Orlando on their charter services from Glasgow, much more like it !
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:30 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
I've had several TATLs on 757s from Glasgow to Newark and Philly; it is not a pleasant experience. Old aircraft, and not a lot of room. At least the flights were direct and I could avoid a shuttle to Heathrow or Gatwick, so maybe I shouldn't complain.
In the past AA and AirCanada ran 767s to Chicago and Toronto direct form Glasgow, that was much better.
Virgin run 747s to Vegas and Orlando on their charter services from Glasgow, much more like it !
The OP is obviously comparing the A330 to the 777/767 that is offered by BA on this route. Soon to be 787 on the PHL-LHR.

Comparing the 757 is not on par, but we should be happy with what we get from the regions. I would rather fly the 757 direct (in J!) than go with BA through LHR.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Be careful wishing for the new planes. From what has been written on this board the Y experience is not a good one.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:32 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Wow... yet another thread about how good US airlines are

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.