Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grumpy old git in T5 RANT!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Haha.... +1 ^ every time, except when I have to navigate security it's after a transat red-eye so I am in a foul mood anyway

Typical British BS... I want to move to Singapore! At Changi I was in a taxi in 13 minutes... (yes, really 13 minutes!!) from wheels down from HKG, with checked bags!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Hate to tell you, but Americans aren't the only loud people out there. You just understand what they're saying.

Whenever people tell me Americans don't travel well, I recall the story of two Boozed Up Brits Abroad in a pub in Malta screaming at the landlord for not having Sky and showing the Premier League. "WE USED TO OWN YOU!"

Last edited by SCSA; Feb 18, 2015 at 7:20 am
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:26 am

But yes, Fast Track security has become a disaster, and the staff's attitude lately is deplorable.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's great being an infrequent leisure flyer as one can travel in a better frame of mind especially when you plan it to fall outwith any school holidays.
I can afford to amble through security as I always make sure I arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare. I never take my belt,watch or shoes off until I am requested to do so.....usually there is no need to so why bother in the first place?
If I do have some grumpy git behind me I just make a point of going even slower in the hope they are a Flyertalker.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by FlyingFig
I had decanted 80ml cough medicine into a small jar. They accepted it was cough medicine, they could see it was less than 100 ml but as the jar did not state that it was 100 ml or less it had to be confiscated.....
You forgot to attach a "100 ml" sticker...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I never take my belt,watch or shoes off until I am requested to do so.....usually there is no need to so why bother in the first place?
My wife removes her belt, watch and shoes and still gets the dreaded beep every time she flies out of LHR. Last time, at Munich while she was removing her shoes, a group of fellow Americans made fun of her about how it's only in the US that she needs to remove her shoes. She answered that she removes them because she does not want to be touched by the security person. And she did get the dreaded beep again. But at least she was not alone, those people making fun of her also got the beep.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:48 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Grumpy? Moi?

I am the nice old bloke who is always fully prepared for Security, carries his passport and BP in his shirt pocket at all times, has no metal parts and smiles sweetly at Security staff and small children.*

I also wonder sometimes about the obviously frequent business flyers [suits, Gold tags, laptop etc.] who get Security palpably wrong. I give them my very best wry smile

* One of those statements may be untrue.
I thought you were talking about me - the 70+ with the mop of white hair! But I still do the laptop - no gold tags (why do LTGGLs need them?).
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
It's great being an infrequent leisure flyer as one can travel in a better frame of mind especially when you plan it to fall outwith any school holidays.
I can afford to amble through security as I always make sure I arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare. I never take my belt,watch or shoes off until I am requested to do so.....usually there is no need to so why bother in the first place?
If I do have some grumpy git behind me I just make a point of going even slower in the hope they are a Flyertalker.
Bloomin' HIDDY with your ex-pat life of Riley, living in a beautiful country, great food, great weather and your leisure travel... Pfft... *FTer huffing and puffing*
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by visualAd
They are not toast, they are projectiles to throw at the loud people on the phone.
How I wish BA would invest in some toasters so people can get their own toast in the lounges... If you don't pounce when they come with fresh toast you need to wait 20 mins for the next delivery it seems
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SCSA
Hate to tell you, but Americans aren't the only loud people out there. You just have understand what they're saying.
Intentionally ironic?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Intentionally ironic?
Typo
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by ptr120
The only think that is needed to resolve delays at security is more staff!
Not always. It may have changed as it was a year or two ago, and they accomplish a lot of checks before you get to check in, but Tel Aviv had only 2 people at the x ray machine and arch where at Heathrow you get about 6!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by The Ginge
Not always. It may have changed as it was a year or two ago, and they accomplish a lot of checks before you get to check in, but Tel Aviv had only 2 people at the x ray machine and arch where at Heathrow you get about 6!
Faultlessly polite/have a clue what they're doing perchance?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Internaut
I don't get security in T5. A few more polite notices would surely make the whole process quicker? And why the random beeps*? The old post 9/11 US system (SSSS on the boarding pass) actually worked really well, at the airports where I got caught out**.

* Well they do random beeps at MAN, as well, but it doesn't seem nearly so disruptive (perhaps because MAN has the perv scanner)?

** Didn't hold up me (if anything, it gave me priority) and didn't hold up other passengers.
The random beeps on the metal detector are a DfT requirement and are used at all UK airports. The ratio is something like 1 in every 6 through that sets it off (in addition to the normal things that would cause an activation).

I believe this is because it is the most random way of doing it, ensuring nobody is picked by gender, ethnicity, destination, itinerary etc. This does mean that if the ratio works out that it gets several people at once that happen to be one gender, then you end up having to wait until a security bod of the same sex is available, so hold ups are sometimes inevitable!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Where's Boots moved to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.