ex-DUB redemption; is this safe?

Old Feb 17, 15, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
ex-DUB redemption; is this safe?

I'm looking at using a chunk of Avios for a weekend in PHL in August. Having read all the extremely useful guides on the forum I've put the following itinerary together but want to double check that what I'm doing is as risk-free as possible.

Outbound:
0935-1055 LHR-DUB (cheap ET)
1135-1255 DUB-LHR (Avios in J)
1725-2010 LHR-PHL (Avios in J)

Inbound:
2200-1000 PHL-LHR (Avios in J)
1325-1440 LHR-DUB (Avios in J)
1730-1845 DUB-LCY (cheap ET)
2005-2120 LCY-EXT (seperate FlyBe booking - must be on this to get home!)

The potential problems I can see are:
  • failing to meet the back-to-back at DUB on the outbound - seperate bookings, but will BA->BA give me protection?
  • Delays at DUB on the return. Again will BA->BA protect me?
  • I know the LCY connection to FlyBe will be at my own risk.
  • I'd rather take the 1325 LHR-DUB rather than the earlier 1120-ish flight to allow me time to shower in T5.

All legs will be HBO, so if I've already got my DUB-LHR boarding pass on the back-to-back I should just need to clear immigration and (fast track?) transit security?

Edit: the lounge guide here suggests the PHL lounge closes at 1900 - is this true even though there is a flight leaving at 2200 every day?
Old Feb 17, 15, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Back to back Dublin looks dodgy.Should work. But doesn't Murphy come from Ireland?

For LCY you are "at risk." comfortable? (I think its probably ok)

Dirty Harry time.

Do you feel lucky?
Old Feb 17, 15, 3:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by BAW845_Matt View Post
I'm looking at using a chunk of Avios for a weekend in PHL in August.
What's your main reason for doing an ex-DUB on an Avios redemption? It's normally to reduce the ticket price.
Old Feb 17, 15, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
If you are using avios and not buying cash tickets then presumably all you are saving is the air passenger duty for long haul J out of Heathrow? If that's the case is it really worth the hassle, expense and risk of positioning to Dublin, or am I missing something?

Gary.
Old Feb 17, 15, 3:39 pm

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
Also why bother with the LHR-DUB on the return - skip the last leg and just go straight to LCY
Old Feb 17, 15, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC CCR, BAEC Lifetime GGL, Hilton Hhonors Lifetime Diamond
Matt - I've been a Terminal 1 commuter in DUB for the past 15 years on a weekly basis so know the airport and procedures better than most.

The aircraft operating your LHR DUB will be the aircraft bringing you back to LHR. I feel like I know some of the crew better than my own family! They are extemely used to back to back at DUB therefore make sure you tell them you are back to back whilst in flight to DUB. Routinely they tell the gate arrival agents (who dispatch the LHR sector) that Mr. Matt is a back to back "runner" to security. At Online Check in get an aisle seat LHR DUB as close to the front in economy so you deplane quickly. Clear Immigration - Common Travel Area check and very swift. My advice (irrespective of any other advice) is to exit customs via the blue channel into the public arrivals area. Please ignore flight connections. Make sure you have DUB LHR boarding pass on App / paper so you don't collect it in DUB.

Once public - turn right, up escalators and walk past check-in area 4 (BA Zone) directly to Fast Track which is usually quiet. Once clear of security then turn right and immediately left - upstairs to DAA lounge where the very warm and welcoming staff will greet you awaiting your return flight. I would expect 12 minutes deplaning to DAA lounge and that's moving slowly. It is in no way dodgy.

On your return back to DUB from USA - 3 hours is fine. BA flights almost exclusively leave from gates 301 - 304. I have had a series of delays on LCY services recently which puts your connection to EXT at risk if it happens. In fact I have recurrently been TP across to LHR services by the ticket desk due to late LCY services.

Hope this is useful and have a good trip!
Old Feb 17, 15, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze
after one or two very hairy connections, I don't do back to backs any more. I always take one flight earlier. Given the number of flights to DUB, why take the risk?
Old Feb 17, 15, 3:51 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post

What's your main reason for doing an ex-DUB on an Avios redemption? It's normally to reduce the ticket price.
I'm doing the same next month. Try comparing the fees and you'll soon see why. You save around £230 in cash on a one way booking.

DUB is the cheapest place to start a TATL redemption. Though I question the logic of visiting it on the return. A USA-LON-DUB is not cheaper than USA-LON in terms of fees. Best to book two one ways.
Old Feb 17, 15, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Far too much could go wrong with that itinerary for my liking.

As the classic Brit expression goes 'you are brave to consider it.'

Is there any particular reason you would not look at the DUB-PHL flights, with pre-clearance on the outbound?
Old Feb 17, 15, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paul4040 View Post
I'm doing the same next month. Try comparing the fees and you'll soon see why. You save around 230 in cash on a one way booking.

DUB is the cheapest place to start a TATL redemption. Though I question the logic of visiting it on the return. A USA-LON-DUB is not cheaper than USA-LON in terms of fees. Best to book two one ways.
That 230 may turn out to be a false idol if the outbound TATL segment is missed and needs a cash replacement on the day.
Old Feb 17, 15, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by paul4040 View Post
You save around 230 in cash on a one way booking.
Less the cost of the positioning flight(s) of course.

I see where you're coming from but I wouldn't consider it for that sum. Each to their own. I think if I did something like that I'd want to position the night before to be safer and then you've an extra 100 cost for hotels etc.
Old Feb 17, 15, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MartinRattler View Post
Is there any particular reason you would not look at the DUB-PHL flights, with pre-clearance on the outbound?
This, x10 - BA J isn't *that* good. The product is being denigrated by accountants whilst others are getting better - or at least staying the same.

If you're starting in DUB then use the pre-clearance and go straight to the US and a 40 min connection in Dublin on two tickets is asking for problems.
Old Feb 17, 15, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by BAW845_Matt View Post
I've put the following itinerary together but want to double check that what I'm doing is as risk-free as possible.
OP, this isn't risk-free by any stretch. All it would take is for there to be a problem with your first sector and you're in trouble. BA doesn't protect you on separate bookings although you may get lucky (as some have reported).
Old Feb 17, 15, 4:06 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by MartinRattler View Post

That £230 may turn out to be a false idol if the outbound TATL segment is missed and needs a cash replacement on the day.
Indeed. However, reports of missing TATLs and not being reaccommodated are very rare indeed on here.

The trick is to build in several hours between the flights. Dublin city centre is well worth a visit if you have time (and little baggage). Immediate back to backs are much too risky for my tastes and I would always instinctively advise against them.
Old Feb 17, 15, 4:10 pm

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
You may also look into the remote possibility of an avios redemption from DUB to BOS with a US redemption to PHL tacked on. Fees would be about 100 in total, I think

Search this Thread