Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MartinRattler
Excellent post ^
Most of his are.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you ... can operate with a bit of risk to your life
I was worried about missing a flight, what on earth goes on in DUB?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is clear what I mean, if you re-read our conversation.

'May be re-routed' means people with separate tickets whom the airline decides to transfer on to later connections, even though there is no guarantee as there is with a single ticket, per your last sentence.
In that case, either you have not understood what I said about the DUB-LHR being cancelled when the LHR-DUB is cancelled so that you have a guarantee of entitlement to rerouting (as opposed to relying on goodwill of the airline) or you understood it but did not answer the point (unless what you had in mind but never said was Golfmad's point about the conceivability of the return not being cancelled even if the outbound is by reallocation of an aircraft from one service to another at DUB)
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me put my perspective on this. DUB back to back is low risk, but not no risk. If you are risk adverse then handle it differently, particularly if you are not familiar with the airport layout. If you are familiar with the airport and can operate with a bit of risk to your life (and most of us do, actually) then go for it. Note that some DUB back to backs have slightly more turnaround time than other services. Yes I have had one 15 minutes delay with the gardaí, out of probably 100 sectors. 5 minutes is probably the average.

Leaving on the earlier flight - so not back to back - can paradoxically be more risky, the range of non-controlled variables actually goes up. However at some point the risk goes down again, simply because the gap between flights is so great that various other options can be considered, even if it involves buying a walk-up ticket without another airline in order to protect a more expensive longhaul.

How long does that gap need to be? Well it depends a bit on time of day, year and what not, but if you have 2 flights protection and you could go via an EI service in extremis then that's reasonably good, overnight even better.

Among the other ways to get to DUB are train, coach, drive+ferry and BHD + train services.
I think that you have forgotten an even better protection for the really deeply risk-averse: emigrate there so that you do not need to position (and buy a house in Swords within walking distance of the airport).
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NickB
In that case, either you have not understood what I said about the DUB-LHR being cancelled when the LHR-DUB is cancelled so that you have a guarantee of entitlement to rerouting (as opposed to relying on goodwill of the airline) or you understood it but did not answer the point (unless what you had in mind but never said was Golfmad's point about the conceivability of the return not being cancelled even if the outbound is by reallocation of an aircraft from one service to another at DUB)
Sorry, I am not motivated to reply other than to acknowledge your post.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NickB
I think that you have forgotten an even better protection for the really deeply risk-averse: emigrate there so that you do not need to position (and buy a house in Swords within walking distance of the airport).
Have you been to Swords? I have. That's a whole new Risk Analysis Matrix coming along!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by BAW845_Matt
I'm looking at using a chunk of Avios for a weekend in PHL in August. snip...

Outbound:
0935-1055 LHR-DUB (cheap ET)
1135-1255 DUB-LHR (Avios in J)
1725-2010 LHR-PHL (Avios in J)

Inbound:
2200-1000 PHL-LHR (Avios in J)
1325-1440 LHR-DUB (Avios in J)
1730-1845 DUB-LCY (cheap ET)
snip...
I'm definitely in the camp with those who think that it would be a LOT simpler to just redeem for the transatlantic flights and forget the legs to and from Dublin. You're saving two "cheap ET" tickets ($100?? $150?? total) and 18,000 avios and the RFS fee (=$100 for me since my account is US based) and all the hassle. Surely with the added stress of possibly missing connections, it's worth it just to pay the higher APD or whatever it's called and leave from London. In other words, even if it is possible to do (which is the subject of debate by 90% of the posts) why even bother to try when it would be much less stressful and not that much more expensive to start from and end in London?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you been to Swords? I have. That's a whole new Risk Analysis Matrix coming along!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I am not motivated to reply other than to acknowledge your post.
no probs and no need to be sorry.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I would love to know how the OP is rationalising this...

98,000 miles and £296
vs
80,000 miles and £510

So you save £214 but spend an extra 18,000 miles. Then have to pay for the positioning flights to & from Dublin. Tops you save £100 but still spend an extra 18k miles AND have the risk of misconnecting.

I just don't get it....
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

98,000 miles and £296
vs
80,000 miles and £510

So you save £214 but spend an extra 18,000 miles. Then have to pay for the positioning flights to & from Dublin. Tops you save £100 but still spend an extra 18k miles AND have the risk of misconnecting.

I just don't get it....
That's because the OP has erroneously considered a return to DUB which is unnecessary (and in fact more expensive in fees) than ending the return portion at LHR.

It should cost an extra 4,500 Avios (why bother with Club from DUB??) and save £230. Less the cost of positioning flight (sometimes as low as £40-50).
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to add to this here is a report of doing a back-to-back via the landside route at T1 posted by billinghamn

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24389317-post273.html

billinghamn took around 15 minutes from leaving the aircraft to getting back to the gate. That kind of timing is what I would expect.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
For an upcoming ex-DUB trip I booked myself a late LCY flight with BA and a hotel in DUB. Plus a later FlyBe flight that's refundable (I'll need to fly LCY-DUB later in the year and BA only has an early departure on Saturdays)

Have thought about booking redemptions from DUB etc in the past, but like others the cost saving vs. hassle factor didn't stack up. Leaving LHR 8 hours earlier, and getting back to LHR 11 hours before finally getting to home airport - that's a big hassle factor (but everyone to their own)

Last edited by lorcancoyle; Feb 21, 2015 at 8:31 am
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by docgasman

Once public - turn right, up escalators and walk past check-in area 4 (BA Zone) directly to Fast Track which is usually quiet. Once clear of security then turn right and immediately left - upstairs to DAA lounge where the very warm and welcoming staff will greet you awaiting your return flight. I would expect 12 minutes deplaning to DAA lounge and that's moving slowly. It is in no way dodgy.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Just to add to this here is a report of doing a back-to-back via the landside route at T1 posted by billinghamn

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24389317-post273.html

billinghamn took around 15 minutes from leaving the aircraft to getting back to the gate. That kind of timing is what I would expect.
billinghamn is clearly gettig old and docgasman? Well, that big brown bag of his is obviously slowing him down!

Timed it on Thursday night - 8 minutes from stepping off the plane to being welcomed into the lounge by Niamh, the lovely DUB lounge angel. Going straight back to the plane would have added a whole minute. Honestly, same plane back to backs at this airport are a breeze! ^

For what it's worth, docgasman clearly knows his way around this airport (and seems to be well known by everyone in there!) so is worth listening to. His guide is spot on...

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; Feb 21, 2015 at 11:31 am
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC CCR, BAEC Lifetime GGL, Hilton Hhonors Lifetime Diamond
8 Minutes Filthy Monkey - well done

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
billinghamn is clearly gettig old and docgasman? Well, that big brown bag of his is obviously slowing him down!

Timed it on Thursday night - 8 minutes from stepping off the plane to being welcomed into the lounge by Niamh, the lovely DUB lounge angel. Going straight back to the plane would have added a whole minute. Honestly, same plane back to backs at this airport are a breeze! ^

For what it's worth, docgasman clearly knows his way around this airport (and seems to be well known by everyone in there!) so is worth listening to. His guide is spot on...
Indeed you are right Filthy Monkey - I know most of the Dublin Staff better than my own family - even being known on first name terms at Fast Track security 8 minutes sounds like a perfect transfer - no hitches, 12 minutes in normal circumstances and 15 minutes at the outside. Even with bags these appear on the carousel quickly (usual 10 minute wait) but there is a 45 minutes close off before departure time for each BA flight therefore one would not make baggage re-check cut off time for a Back to Back. (It has been known for Alan to authorise the reopening of check in up to 20 minutes before departure for the very regulars )

I got away with the "Big Brown Bag" on an E190 to LCY yesterday - didn't think I would - and it fitted in the overhead bin laterally over 1A. Saved some time later in the day

Enjoy your weekend trip ^^
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Markie
My experience is that back-to-back at DUB can be risky. If you get two planes in at the same time it can easily be 20 minutes in the immigration queue. A ten minute walk through Customs and your time is gone.

I read on Twitter that mobile boarding passes are not working from Dublin at the moment, but have no idea if this is true. If it is you cannot take the short cut 'Connection' from the end of the baggage hall and so must go out and back in.

People seem to have good experiences of Dublin security - personally I have stood in line 10-20 minutes on average.

I think everyone has said B-2-B is risky at DUB.
I think you're wrong. Customs at DUB takes more like 10 seconds, not 10 minutes. I have personally walked from the B gates to the back of the coach park in 7. Security is the wildcard here, but that is all.
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

98,000 miles and £296
vs
80,000 miles and £510

I just don't get it....
I think he said he was getting the positioning flight free as he added it onto a domestic reward flight he was taking anyway. But I agree with the rest of the principles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.